Movies that scared the crap out of you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several of mine have been mentioned above - Darby O'Gill, The Birds, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, etc...

It's not a movie, but anything involving the Smurfs. Not sure what it was about them, but as a young kid? TOTALLY freaked out by them. Nothing rational about it, but yikes.

I cannot recall a scary movie that I saw in a theater.
But at a very young age, the Jonny Quest episode "The Invisible Monster" scared the pants off me. I was probably 4 or 5 at the time.

The Exorcist, was 17 at the time.
I saw this on TV [late 70's - about 10 or 12]. didn't scare me, nor my sister. But at the end my dad was "Yeah, I thought so..." didn't really clue into what he was thinking.

We went to bed*, and he pulled out a record and put it on for us.. As the needle drops: "Good night kids" [turns off light].. and then the piano starts...

* kids of a divorce. dad got us on week-end. we slept in his 'den'. separate beds, (couches really) but in the same room..

The Wizard of Oz. The wizard was fine, but the wicked witch and her flying monkeys...

Hmmm... when I was very young "The Fly" got me, lol. Help me! Haha.
I'm not much of a horror watcher either but there have been a few I caught unawares.
The Grudge scene on the bus with the ghosts reflection in the window. Hats off to that director, lol. The movie as a whole, not so much, but some of the scenes.

The Hellraiser movies - I've been dipped in Lovecraft and so completely got those in full mental ugly. Wouldn't watch anything like that now.
My gross factor is very low as an older person.

Having read it, I completely refuse to watch any version of 1984. Too damn sad. It should be required reading as a high school senior though.
"Under the spreading chestnut tree, I sold you and you sold me." - Never forgotten.

Cheers / Robert

Doctor Who. The episode called 'Blink'. I found it frightening even as an adult.

Jim
My wife and I both liked this episode. Then maybe 6 months later we drive down to Cincinnati to go see a special exhibit at the art museum there. Somewhere on the second floor of the museum is a gallery with two large angel statues just outside the door. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw them. And I kept watching them as we entered. And I turned around to check the doorway several times after we entered the gallery too. After we left I asked my wife about it and she was creeped out too.

I don't really try to explain the episode as it sounds stupid when you try to explain it. The best way to describe it is that it's like an Alfred Hitchcock episode. I think people who aren't Dr Who fans can watch just that episode as it is a standalone episode.

I tell my friends from Cincinnati to watch the episode and then go to the art museum, but none have as far as I know.

The one I remember best was in 1983. "Special Bulletin": group builds an atomic bomb and is going to set it off in a boat in Charleston SC unless yada yada. It was covered as though it was a real story. Videotape rather than film for most of the movie, made it visually more realistic.

The TV in the house I was renting at that time was defective. After a couple of minutes the picture would begin to shrink, and it had to be turned off to cool for a minute or two. Turned the TV off during commercials. Without seeing ads it seemed even more like a real news story.

I knew it was a movie. That didn't help, the impact was that of a bulletin in real time.

NEST guys working to disarm it, they start shouting, one guy drops what he's doing and runs...and the image went all weird...and the screen went black. Back to the news anchors who are horrifyingly aware of what just happened. Kept telling myself "just a movie. Just a movie."

I didn't get to sleep at all that night. Wasn't much good at teaching the next day, either.

The Bedford Incident. I can't tell why it is personally frightening (a hint - there were some horrible CO's in those days), but I served on a submarine in the North Atlantic during the climax of the Cold War.

I was on a university faculty for a while and showed it every year to students who were too young to understand why the Cold War was a big deal. Their childhood had no memories of B47's at the end of the runway during particularly tense times, crewed and ready for immediate launch . . .

The one I remember best was in 1983. "Special Bulletin": group builds an atomic bomb and is going to set it off in a boat in Charleston SC unless yada yada. It was covered as though it was a real story. Videotape rather than film for most of the movie, made it visually more realistic.

The TV in the house I was renting at that time was defective. After a couple of minutes the picture would begin to shrink, and it had to be turned off to cool for a minute or two. Turned the TV off during commercials. Without seeing ads it seemed even more like a real news story.

I knew it was a movie. That didn't help, the impact was that of a bulletin in real time.

NEST guys working to disarm it, they start shouting, one guy drops what he's doing and runs...and the image went all weird...and the screen went black. Back to the news anchors who are horrifyingly aware of what just happened. Kept telling myself "just a movie. Just a movie."

I didn't get to sleep at all that night. Wasn't much good at teaching the next day, either.
There was a similar theme in The Day After (...a game of global thermonuclear war)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404
that was one of the most watched TV movies, teachers assigned it as homework.

Last edited:
When I was young we had "Chiller Theater" on WOR Channel 9, I think, in NYC, so we got used to Horror Films right away.

But there were some things done for TV that were really, really frightening. The best one ever had to be Salem's Lot.

There was another mid-1970's vampire movie made for TV that I have no idea what it was, but it had a sequence where the bad guy vampire was able to rip a car door right off to get at the fleeing woman. Good times.

Aliens (only saw the last 30 minutes or so).

I think I was maybe 9 or 10?

Now, I love that movie.

My wife said she slept with a blanket pulled over her mouth for years after watching those movies as a kid.

Aliens is a great movie by the way. One of my favorites.

Last edited:
The one I remember best was in 1983. "Special Bulletin": group builds an atomic bomb and is going to set it off in a boat in Charleston SC
I remember that one as well. Really well done, and completely plausible. It didn't scare me, I mean, the way someone is normally scared. I was more frightened by turning 18, and then seeing that the Russians shot down flight 007, and Reagan had just become president, and I thought I was going to be drafted and fighting the Soviets.

"Play Misty For Me". I was in high school. I can still see Jessica Walter suddenly appearing with that knife.

And a few years later, "Jaws". Had to sit in the front row of a full theater. Really gory seeing those people getting eaten. But it contained the classic line, (I think spoken by Richard Dreyfus) "I think we need a bigger boat."

Hans.

...the first time I saw the Blair Witch Project. Didn't know it was not real.
This was an odd one for me.

First off....I've always liked "scary" movies, but not necessarily "horror". Most horror films are just shock and gore fests that honestly bore me, and I usually don't find them "scary" at all. Sometimes, I really like them but for the wrong reasons....in that I find them funny and campy (which is one of the reasons I absolutely love "Shaun of the Dead" which is downright brilliant). But every once in a while, a film will come along that is much more psychologically scary, without all the reliance on gore and crap. And those I really like. When all the advance hype about Blair Witch came out, I was like, "YES, this is what I like, can't wait to see it".

So, I watched it the first chance I got..................................and I pretty much hated it. NOT scary at all, except for a few seconds at the very end. I found it boring and disappointing. But I got to wondering why it missed so much with me, while it seemed like it should be exactly what I wanted in a scary film.

After some time, I realized what it was. Some background...I grew up in rural New England, and (unlike most people), my favourite time of the year as a kid was late fall, when all the leaves had fallen, the woods were bare and raw, the air was getting chilly, and the light in the sky was sharp (even when it's cloudy). I don't know why but something about being out in those woods then was comforting to me, and I always loved it. Back to "now" and Blair Witch....I came to realize that the feeling of dread, uncertainty, isolation, etc. that made the movie so scary for most people was due in large part to the setting - that being alone in the woods that were very much like what I describe above. So, one of the key elements of the film that made most folks uneasy and scared, was actually comforting, nostalgic, and kinda nice to me. Also, I realized that most people simply never spend any time at all in woods, forests, and away from "civilization", and that in itself is discomforting, while for me it's very much natural and familiar (and not scary in and of itself).

So, I do get now why Blair Witch worked so well for most folks, and I think it does deserve some of the praise...it just didn't work for me.

s6

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. The 1971 Gene Wilder one.
I was little. This is supposed to be a kids movie!?!? They are KILLING kids!!! That kid just drowned in chocolate! He dies and went up a tube!
You don't survive that!!!
THIS IS A CHILD SNUFFF FILM!!!!!
I was terrified.

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. The 1971 Gene Wilder one.
I was little. This is supposed to be a kids movie!?!? They are KILLING kids!!! That kid just drowned in chocolate! He dies and went up a tube!
You don't survive that!!!
THIS IS A CHILD SNUFFF FILM!!!!!
I was terrified.
I sort of agree, but I was 10 when I saw it.

My wife and I both liked this episode. Then maybe 6 months later we drive down to Cincinnati to go see a special exhibit at the art museum there. Somewhere on the second floor of the museum is a gallery with two large angel statues just outside the door. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw them. And I kept watching them as we entered. And I turned around to check the doorway several times after we entered the gallery too. After we left I asked my wife about it and she was creeped out too.

I don't really try to explain the episode as it sounds stupid when you try to explain it. The best way to describe it is that it's like an Alfred Hitchcock episode. I think people who aren't Dr Who fans can watch just that episode as it is a standalone episode.

I tell my friends from Cincinnati to watch the episode and then go to the art museum, but none have as far as I know.
Every time that I see statues of angels, especially white ones, I get that feeling that I had better keep watching them. Don't even blink.

Jim

Watching the movie "The Poseidon Adventure" convinced me to never get on a cruise ship.

How 'bout "The Towering Inferno!" - can you go in tall buildings now?! :p

And a few years later, "Jaws". Had to sit in the front row of a full theater. Really gory seeing those people getting eaten. But it contained the classic line, (I think spoken by Richard Dreyfus) "I think we need a bigger boat."

Hans.

I remember going to Jaws 3 in 3d. My neck hurt after the show from jerking my head back so much!

Someone already mentioned The Blob. The year was 1984 (no relation to the book) and my mom went shopping and left my dad to watch me. I was 5. He didn't watch me and I flipped through the channels. The movie was black and white but it terrified the ever living crap out of me for at least the next 4 years! I was so certain a gelatinous mass was going to come under the bathroom door and get me. Also, any movies that deal with evil and demons are a nope ever since I watched The Ring and The Grudge.
Ken

I thought of another one: Return to Oz. I was probably under the age of 10 when I saw it on TV and it creeped me out.

Even as an adult, the idea of watching that movie scares me.

Back