Software Critique/Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Gentleman, I have taken it upon myself to obtain, through the French underground, a copy of what appears to be a software product offered on Ebay by a gentleman we will refer to as AESRC. It retails for around 15.00 and bidding for this item starts at a modest 9.99.

What Is Advertised>"***Earth Space Research Systems***
has a Model Rocketry Toolbox CDRom for PC's.
It works with DOS,Windows 9x, NT and ME, ( not for Mac or XP).
There are more than 50+ programs (and growing!!) that will keep you busy when the weather for flying is poor!
It includes programs for rocket and fin design, parachute calculations, flight drag, weight, etc."

it goes one by saying...

"This is the ultimate rocketry toolbox for any Rocketeer!
Design a rocket and run it through the simulator to be sure it performs the way you want.
You can use it for Estes, Centuri, Aerotech, Custom, Vaughn Bro. and many others."

What It Does> After receiving the item in question, I placed it into my computer and quickly noted there was no Plug-N-Play activation. So I then began the task of opening the software via the "run" option on my OS. But wait...where is the application file to start this beast? There is none Where is the notes or read me file to guide this possible future rocketeer? There is None. Well off to the "My Computer" Icon. So I began to unfold this boxed and bagged, Dr. Seuss, cat in the hat, green eggs and ham file system. File after file of not very useful folders I tripped over and dead ended. There are bits and pieces of shareware, simware and slightly stolen (RocSim) software here there and everywhere. I quit.
Have I been taken? It appears so. I continue to open folder after folder of bits and pieces of fin diagrams, parachute calculations, sim programs. But there just isn't any real navigation here. I thought I was getting a program of some kind. I was wrong. It's just folder after folder fragments and loosely arranged program

Summary> Let me put the comedy show on hold for a second and get serious. This CD was compiled by extracting and copying other software through the internet and other sources then burned on a CD and sold as "software". That's it. There is no navigation logic. It is not easy to navigate, nor are there any directions on how to do so. There are some useful tools (if you have the patience of a saint) but one would be better off investing thier money in either RocSim or Spacecad or using the other free tools available on the internet for the rocket needs.

Two Final Notes- First, I am not a lawyer. I have a few years of college and it probably shows. But I am a little put off when someone takes a program, like RocSim, and copies it on a CD then sells it on Ebay. If RocSim has a Copyright, then I would think there is a major problem here.

Second, I give it an overall score of 1.25 out of 5.0. The score breaks down as follows:
Packaging-------------5
Program Quality------0
Ease of navigation---0
Technical Support----0
Total Score------------1.25

Thanks
J.R.
:confused:https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3111517676&category=2567

I don't know anything about the specific product, but there was a rocket CD being auctioned a while back that had 'borrowed' some copyrighted material from EMRR. Here is the TRF thread that discussed it.

OOPS, I now see you participated in that thread so this was no news.

If this CD had a Rsim demo on it, I wonder if Apogee is aware of it? (didn't scour the other thread, this may have been covered there)

I believe that I too have a copy of the CD to which flying_silverad refers.

This CD contains copyrighted material from Estes, but I have not been successful in getting through to anyone there to let them know. It also has RockSim Version 5, copyrighted by Apogee, and NOT the free demo download. It has a bunch of '.rkt' files downloaded from the web at a certain EMRR site (I could have gotten these files for free, myself, without paying this ebay jerk, if I had been told what I was buying). Further, the CD contains WRASP software, which you can also get for free on the web at www.wrasp.com. You begin to get the idea.

If it wasn't bad enough that this slimey guy is illegally selling stolen software, then consider this: this ebay dimbulb did a zip-compress of just about all the files and folders on a CD that is only about 1/4 full. Yes, he COULD have put everything on there in original full-length form. Instead, you have to fiddle-fart with unzipping everything, and then you run into the problems highlighted by flying_silverad (disorganized, no navigational aids, etc).

This ebay seller is STEALING. Don't buy from him. Or, put in a big bid to lock a win on his auction and then refuse to pay (you can notify both him and ebay that you learned he is selling stolen goods).

Originally posted by powderburner
Re: the French underground?

I was trying to protect my source. U. ;)

What can i say, everything you say is true although I think he even copied the demo as well as the full application of RockSim.
J.R.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
...but one would be better off investing thier money in either RocSim or Spacecad or using the other free tools available on the internet for the rocket needs...

I said this in the other tread, but here goes: You can get this free net software (along with a lot, did I say a lot more), where I have permission to distribute it, on EMRR on CD

SOFTWARE Apogee's RockSim Demo Software (ZIP file)
Apogee's RockSim Rockets (CD page)
Apogee's AeroCFD Demo Software (ZIP file)
CompuRoc (ZIP file)
RocFlight 3.1(EXE file)
Rocket Screen Saver Demo (EXE file)
SpaceCAD.com's SpaceCAD Demo Software (EXE file)
SpaceCAD.com's SpaceCAD Rockets (ZIP file) (Sept'02)
VCP (standard and Win98+ Versions) (ZIP file)
WinRoc (ZIP file)
wRASP (ZIP file)

I plan on updating these as allowed for the April Release. My usual, pre-order pricing is $10 (say isn't that the same price as this ebay fellow that has no permissions?)

Please excuse this brief commercial break!

Nick

a software product offered on Ebay by a gentleman we will refer to as AESRC. It retails for around 15.00 and bidding for this item starts at a modest 9.99.

What Is Advertised>"***Earth Space Research Systems***
has a Model Rocketry Toolbox CDRom for PC's.
it goes one by saying...
"This is the ultimate rocketry toolbox for any Rocketeer!
Have I been taken? It appears so.

I just noticed this same guy is offering " Magic Chute Powder". It looks like he's getting about $2.00 to $3.00 plus shipping for this product.
Heck last time I bought some "Magic Chute Powder" at my local Family Dollar it was called "Baby Powder" and cost me .99 cents plus tax for a 16oz bottle.
Oh well,I guess you can't blame the guy for trying to make a buck. After all did'nt someone once say "There is one born every minute"! :kill:

Originally posted by cuttbow2
a software product offered on Ebay by a gentleman we will refer to as AESRC. It retails for around 15.00 and bidding for this item starts at a modest 9.99.

I just noticed this same guy is offering " Magic Chute Powder". It looks like he's getting about $2.00 to $3.00 plus shipping for this product.
Heck last time I bought some "Magic Chute Powder" at my local Family Dollar it was called "Baby Powder" and cost me .99 cents plus tax for a 16oz bottle.
Oh well,I guess you can't blame the guy for trying to make a buck. After all did'nt someone once say "There is one born every minute"! :kill:

Trust me, the powder comes from Johnson and Johnson, I don't know where he gets the jars.:kill:

Hee heee! :D

Thats very funny Silver! I thought the samething. I wonder how big those jars are of his? Maybe 2 or 3 oz? Heee heeee!!!!!

Anyway Silver, I just read thru my original post and it sounds like im implying you maybe are one of those born every min. Please believe me. That was not my intention. So please forgive me if you took it as such:p

Heee heeeee!!!!!!!!

Chute Powder!!!!!!!

Originally posted by cuttbow2
Hee heee! :D

Thats very funny Silver! I thought the samething. I wonder how big those jars are of his? Maybe 2 or 3 oz? Heee heeee!!!!!

Anyway Silver, I just read thru my original post and it sounds like im implying you maybe are one of those born every min. Please believe me. That was not my intention. So please forgive me if you took it as such:p

Heee heeeee!!!!!!!!

Chute Powder!!!!!!!
Ho I know you didn't mean me. No offense taken:D

Has anyone noticed that this software is no longer available on ebay? I wonder if the powers that be at ebay finally yanked his selling priveleges or if he just figured that he had oversaturated the market and would hold off for a while. I'm hoping for the former. :D

He's out there selling. He's giving away free copies of the software for people who buy more than (x) quantity of his "chute powder".

Maybe we did have some effect on this clown after all.
I have been trying to track any software listings that AESRC puts on ebay. I email the bidders directly to let them know that AESRC is selling stolen and copyrighted software, and I tell them where they can get it themselves for free. This gives the bidder the perfect excuse to cancel his bid and save his money.
I have also been emailing bidders for the "chute powder" auctions to inform them that they can buy a full size can of baby powder (like, four times as much powder?) for half the price, not have to pay shipping charges, and they can receive their product as soon as they get to the store.
I am hoping to dry up as much of the business for AESRC as I can.
Anyone want to join in?

So I this guy e-mailed me about a week ago and asked me what I use for material when making shroud lines for my chutes that I sell on E-bay. After shaking off the compulsion to gag, I remind him that he and I were having a slight argument as to his “creative” conscience. He then asked if I would raise my auction prices on all of my chutes so that “I” could make more money. I thanked him and told him to mind his own business. My plan was to take him on the old fashioned way. To flood the auction market with as many similar items which he sold but do it cheaper and with better service. Well that didn’t seem to work, I don’t think you have seen the last of the software ads/auctions.
I have had a few e-mails from customers that have asked what the difference is between his designs and mine and I simply reply, “Chicken soup is not original, it’s just better when I make it!” LOL. I do inform them of certain “irregularities” that are posed by some of this man’s auctions. Yet, those same people continue to bid.
Let the buyer beware
:eek:

At least those of us on TRF know the score, I'm afraid the rest of the public might not. I can testify to the quality of flying_silverado's chutes, I bought a hand full and they're great. Got my order in for one of his Cherokees, some small chutes, and some clip whips. Can't wait to see these!!:D

bmhiii

I'm the buyer.

I purchased this item so as to start an investigation and prove to Ebay and any other Auction style house that this gentlman ( saving the forum from my crudeness ) is indeed selling liscensed products illegally.

I've not recieved the software yet, but have already contacted 4 local Lawyers, and have started a letter to be sent to all the companies who's software is being offered on this collection.

I've been informed that I can start a litigational search since I'm a consumer whom purchased an item that contains illegal software. To that end, the FBI and the Web Watch group for illegal software will be contacted as well.

Its my hope to force this person to halt his sale of this item through Ebay , and in doing so hope that they will sanction him and prohibit his using their business as a home base for the sale of items like this in the future.

I'll keep this forum and this thread abreast of my progress.

Take care,

Good for you Silverleaf!!!! Good luck..... and please keep us posted.

~cutt

I saw this item on Ebay a while back and inquired about it. I asked the theif, errrrr, I mean seller who produced the software/program. His answer was "I did"....That was his whole reply. At that point I figured it wasn't worth my time. If he had a product he really wanted to seel, he would have jumped at the opportunity to "sell" it then.

Silverleaf: Contact the Post Office as well. This may fall under mail fraud.

Back