Smallest altimeter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the Featherweight Parrot stack up? It would fit in a 18mm tube if I remember correctly. Had its own battery too. I have one but never flew it.

It is small, but not quite as small as the Telemni 3.0.

The connectors on the HK altimeter are JST brand I think. You should be able to go to the JST website and search on the pitch of the pins. The HK website says it is 1.25mm pitch. With that info and some visuals you should be able to ID the connector series on the site.

If you need dual-deploy in a small space, an Eggtimer Quark will fit in an 18mm tube if you leave off the headers and terminal blocks, you can tape a small 1S LiPo to the bottom. I've done dual-deploy with an Estes Viking on an AT D21...

The OP was asked if he was talking about deployment or “just reading” and reported the latter. For currently available devices that pretty much means, in this order, Adrel BMP, Altus Metrum MicroPeak, FlightSketch Mini and PerfectFlite FireFly, with the AltimterFour set to come in and disrupt when John releases it.

That HobbyKing thing looks interesting and (assuming it comes back in stock) it might be fun to play with. From the info on the HK site it looks to be a recording altimeter that does altitude and temperature. The specs also imply it can be set to several sample rates up to 8 Hz. And that’s not a bad price for one including the computer interface (the large cable in the picture). It wants to be plugged into an RC receiver for power so it’s looking for 5V via the smaller cable in the picture (regular RC servo lead on one end, tiny plug for the altimeter end on the other). It would probably run on a single LiPoly cell. The plug on the altimeter end looks to be the same one PerfectFlite uses to connect computer interfaces to the likes of the Pnut and the Field Data Display to the FireFly. But as with all HK stuff, good luck with support!

Cris - DD in a Viking - THAT is impressive.

Anybody ever thought about a group project to develop a micro sized altimeter? It seems like the Adept 22 and Raven have a good amount of space open to reduce size. Then again, I am not an engineer.

Anybody ever thought about a group project to develop a micro sized altimeter? It seems like the Adept 22 and Raven have a good amount of space open to reduce size. Then again, I am not an engineer.
If you don't need deployment, it'd be much easier to just modify the code for a quadcopter/drone flight control computer. For example, something like this nano F4-based flight controller (25mm x 25mm) could use a branch of Betaflight or iNav (open source drone flight control software) to log altitude, acceleration, etc: https://store.myairbot.com/flight-controller/omnibusf4nanov6.html

That won't fit in as small of a rocket as a Altimeter Four (or even Three) or TeleMini, but using an existing quadcopter flight controller along with a branch of Betaflight or iNav would save all of the hardware dev time and should also drastically reduce the software dev time.

That specific flight control computer doesn't look like it has onboard data logging, but there are probably some nano flight controllers that do. An OpenLog is another way to record data from them.

There are also ways to easily expand this to log GPS time (cheap) and do telemetry to a ground station (not so cheap).

I could do one of my altiDuo; however you would not have any terminal blocks or mounting holes. Anyway you will be limited by the battery size.
If enough demand I could prototype one.

I could do one of my altiDuo; however you would not have any terminal blocks or mounting holes. Anyway you will be limited by the battery size.
If enough demand I could prototype one.

I may be the only one with an interest.

I would like to see an 18mm or smaller. I will try the telemini 3.0.

Back