Looking for a altimeter that will fit into a 18 - 24mm tube (hopefully for Black Friday)!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Why do you need it so small?
Measuring LPR. Plenty of flying happens in small rockets.

The smallest I have seen is Blue Raven which fits into a 24mm tube.
Are you looking for deployment, or just data? There’s plenty of options for data logging, and even more for peak altitude only.

Jolly Logics will fit in BT50. Estes altimeter works too, not sure if that is narrow enough for BT20. Altus Metrum and PerfectFlite have small altimeters, and the WSMC uses the Adrel MicroPeak that North Coast carries. There are also some FlightSketch Minis out there, but they’re almost unobtainum.
As far as I know, none of those do deployment though. The challenge of small altimeters is often the ways you get data off is more complex, like the light pulse transfer that Altus Metrum does.

If the goal is recovery, might be worth looking into a keychain screamer on the shock cord. Not sure if any GPS stuff goes that small.

You would need a gps to get it back.. ans eggtimer mini transmitter would work. It will fit in an 18mm tube.
You would need the mini gps transmitter and a receiver.. lcd is what I like so I can see the lat/long.. normally $130 all together.. $110 on sale until monday.. even cheaper if you don't want the lcd..

Check out the TRF post for the sale info and Eggtimers website for more info on them

Your looking for a tracker, not an altimeter right? You said, to get it back, indicating a tracker? Not sure there is much smaller than eggtimer stuff

You would need the mini gps transmitter and a receiver.. lcd is what I like so I can see the lat/long.. normally $130 all together.. $110 on sale until monday.. even cheaper if you don't want the lcd..

Check out the TRF post for the sale info and Eggtimers website for more info on them

I didn't think of that. This might work better than a dual-deploy for this rocket (and others I have).

There are plenty of threads on this topic if you "search." There are. a lot of them that fit that mark. Perfectflight Statologger CF and Easy Mini come to mind. RRC3 is close.
None of those three fit an 18mm tube.

I have never seen the point on rockets that don’t go high enough to stop being able to see. But that’s my opinion which is worth 1cent.
Did you consider that he may want it to come down to a reasonable altitude before deploying the main so it doesn't float into the next county/state.

For dual deploy it is going to have to fit in an 18mm coupler/ebay.

Last edited:
For dual deploy it is going to have to fit in an 18mm coupler/ebay.
Not really. The e-bay can be contained in a part of the full width body tube and the charges wired from there. That gives much more room. Here are some coupler dimensions.
Inner Diameter: 0.656" (1.67 cm)
Outer Diameter: 0.700" (1.78 cm)

Cheapest dual deploy that fits in BT-20 is a Quark.

The smallest dual deploy I know of is the Adrel DeployMax. Not cheap, but for minimum size/mass, there's nothing else like it.

At Lucerne, you don't really need dual deploy, you just need tracking.

The EF Mini doesn't fit cleanly in BT-20, but fits in BT-20+ available from eRockets or in Quest 20mm tubing. It's straightforward to make an Honest John-style payload bay from either one, or just make the whole airframe out of them. AFAIK, there isn't really a way to get usefully smaller with the current cost-effective GPS receivers.

IRVE-2_launch_on_Black_Brant_IX.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/IRVE-2_launch_on_Black_Brant_IX.jpg

Just FYI, based on the sim work I've done, I am confident I could build a cheap, cardboard rocket that would outperform that Alien Interceptor for apogee by a good bit with the available 18mm commercial motors. It basically comes down to AT D13/D24, which are about six of one/half a dozen of the other once you start adding the weight of the tracking electronics. There is EX and some OOP stuff, but for new production you can buy, that's it.

Once you go to 24mm, there are many, many more options.

Back