Looking for a altimeter that will fit into a 18 - 24mm tube (hopefully for Black Friday)!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheapest dual deploy that fits in BT-20 is a Quark.
This comes from their current website....

"at only 44mm x 17.75mm it fits comfortably into a 24mm (BT50) tube, and can even fit in an 18mm (BT20) tube if you leave off the terminal blocks and headers."

This is also on their current website, which describes a different size....

"It’s also one of the smallest units available, at only 1.8″ x .75″ it fits comfortably into a 24mm (BT50) tube."

Did they make it smaller? The one I now have in my hand is .75" (width of the circuit board). It will not fit in a BT-20.

Last edited:
If you want a DIY project, here is my 18mm prototype flight computer. I have two versions, 500Hz and 860Hz (different CPU's); 6 channels accel & gyro @ high speed plus 3 channels barometric @100Hz. No DD, but I have tested code for it. I always wondered what my LPR's did back in the 60's.

Attachments

• 20210811_091315.jpg
    20210811_091315.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Maybe so, sounds vaguely familiar. Here's mine, purchased this year:
View attachment 617440

and it would fit in this 18mm Hi-Flier if the headers and terminal block weren't on there:

Since you build it yourself, it's really easy to leave the headers and terminal block off. The buzzer can also be mounted remotely with wires so it can be hung off the end and make the whole thing lower profile.

FYI, Eggtimer isn't going to be doing a super-tiny altimeter, at least not anytime soon. Doing it right would probably result in a product that would be very difficult to hand-assemble, and since that's our gig a 13mm altimeter is probably not in the cards. Our primary focus is on the MPR and HPR community, and such a product really isn't for that market.

A Quark and a small 1S LiPo is about as small and cheap as you can get. About the size of the end of your thumb if you do it right. I have an EggTimer Quark with an RF module and an EasyTimer, both with independent LiPo's, in the AvBay of a 38mm Apache uppser stage of a Madcow Nike-Apache. Had to trim down the jumper headers to fit but still does the business.

FYI, Eggtimer isn't going to be doing a super-tiny altimeter, at least not anytime soon. Doing it right would probably result in a product that would be very difficult to hand-assemble, and since that's our gig a 13mm altimeter is probably not in the cards. Our primary focus is on the MPR and HPR community, and such a product really isn't for that market.
Any chance we can get confirmation that the "current" Quarks are <18mm wide?

Any chance we can get confirmation that the "current" Quarks are <18mm wide?
I am mot @cerving but from his site: EGGTIMER QUARK DEPLOYMENT CONTROLLER

Yes:
It’s also one of the smallest units available, at only 44mm x 17.75mm it fits comfortably into a 24mm (BT50) tube, and can even fit in an 18mm (BT20) tube if you leave off the terminal blocks and headers. It weighs about 7 grams.
The only other dimension we would need to know is the max height of the components above and below the board so we could solve for min diameter via the Pythagorean Theorum ...

-- kjh

This one is pretty nifty and small. Smallest dual deploy I could find. Only 2 downsides is that it has no recording, and from one of my flights I do not think it's Mach immune. So if you don't need data and not going Mach, I would highly recommend this little guy. It does come from over seas but the owner is very responsive via email and shipping was quick and cheap.
http://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=15&lang=en
View attachment 617539

That's bigger than a Quark.

The current Quark is just slightly over 18mm... the next time that we redo the boards we're going to trim a few things to get it under 18mm, assuming you leave off the headers (and possibly replace the buzzer with an LED).

The older version with the optoisolators and through-hole transistors was under 18mm, but it was taller. It just barely fit into an 18mm tube.

The smallest dual deploy I know of is the Adrel DeployMax. Not cheap, but for minimum size/mass, there's nothing else like it.
It is single deploy. However, it is small, and single deploy is all you need in many situations.

adrel-altimeter-01-MED.jpg

Another option is RC. I have done that method several times. There are even smaller and lighter components than shown (switch, receiver) .
turg.jpgberg.jpg

Last edited:
Back