RockSim Feature Requests Wanted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apogee

Reaction score
Part 1: What would you like to see as a new feature in a future version of RockSim?

Part 2: What would you be willing to pay for it? (Not the total version of the software, but for that one extra feature.)

Glad you asked. :)

I'd like to be able to put fins and nose cones one "side" tubes.

A checkbox on the simulation setup screen or maybe the rocket design components screen include or exclude a payload mass. It's a pain to delete it from the design if you want to sim both ways.

An option to print a pattern for a transition and a fin guide.

A calculation of minimum stable velocity.

scaling!

with an existing design, I would like to scale it up or down by %, or to match the closest tubing size. for example, change a BT50 design to BT60, scaling the airframe diameter, length, nose, fins... let me fix up the MMT & parachute.

scaling!

with an existing design, I would like to scale it up or down by %, or to match the closest tubing size. for example, change a BT50 design to BT60, scaling the airframe diameter, length, nose, fins... let me fix up the MMT & parachute.

Yes, that would be great.

Hi Tim- a simple checkbox on the main screen to load and unload engines. It takes too many steps to do that now. Thanks.

scaling!

I second that... and am glad to know I'm not the only one.

Import/Export the design to CAD formats like .DXF/.DWG/.IGS - $25

A tutorial - should be there anyhow so $0

In motor selection, you can currently select the exact size, that size or smaller, and all motors. I would like to be able to specify which size so I don't have to design a separate model with a different MMT. - $5

A parts editor - $25

All of the above Tim including all the following replies, plus maybe some light weight 3-D graphics (Google-Earth-less) similar to RS-Pro for an extra axis in landing probabability and added coolness.

How were you planning to offer the upgrades once developed? Inexpensive A-La-Cart singles? Or assorted level upgrade packages maybe? Or hey, offering both or more would open up your product to more people.

Scott

The ability to specify a lateral CG offset distance for each of the parts, in the mass override area, and have that factor into the sim assuming the rocket does not roll: $5

Add a net effective twist angle to the fin specification, and track the roll rate of the rocket in the sim so the CG-thrust misalignment can be treated semi-realistically as a wobble/coning in the 2-D sim: $40

I think an upscale calculator would be nice.

I would pay for it.

Don't forget to put a price next to the feature. What I'm looking for is what is a common request that a lot of users desire, and then how much the average dollar amount people would pay for it. That will help us to set a priority on which features we should work on first.

For example, it appears that at this point there is a significant desire for the ability to scale a rocket design. That indicates we should put a high priority on including this feature in a future version. But no one has put a price on it. If people are only willing to pay $1 for it, then that would actually move it down lower on the priority list because we'd get little return on our investment in time and energy in adding the feature.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm writing them all down.

I would apriciate a fins-on-fins function, and I would pay $35 for it!

How were you planning to offer the upgrades once developed? Inexpensive A-La-Cart singles? Or assorted level upgrade packages maybe? Or hey, offering both or more would open up your product to more people.

I like the A-La-Cart option. But I think it might get too confusing for customers, and tracking nightmare on our end. For example, say you order 4 out of 8 features in an upgrade. Everything is going fine and dandy, but then your Windows PC goes belly up and you lose the software and need to reinstall. At this point, you contact us for a new unlock license and then we have to look up which "extras" you've ordered in the past so that we can get you up and running again. It becomes a real hassle for everyone.

So it will probably be a one price and get it all type of upgrade.

But we're way too early to be having that discussion. We're at the starting point of seeing what customers would like to have in a future version. Then we have a lot of work to do on our end to create the new features.

Scaling and easier/more realistic 'trick free' side boosters would be nice. It would be worth it as a 'fairly inexpensive' upgrade to Version 8 (say $20-30). Also, Vista isn't going anywhere (unfortunately) so getting the bugs out that cause it to do wacky things on Vista would be a VERY good idea...(whatever they come up with in a few years to replace Vista will be even worse!) Thx! KUTGW! OL JR :

Definitely the scaling feature would be handy. That alone is worth at least $10.

And the ability to add external boosters (Like the Delta rockets) or fairings (Like the Saturn V) would be handy as well. I'd really like to put my Saturn V in Rocsim, but it seems that I can't do it without having to get really creative. That would be worth another $10 or more.

A Linux version - priceless ;)

+1 for the scaling, with the option to just scale the external components (eg fins, nosecone, outside tubes; the 'shape' of the rocket), or scale a whole design. Dunno how much I'd want to pay.

I'd like to be able to put fins and nose cones one "side" tubes. This is huge!!!
An option to print a pattern for a transition and a fin guide.

Import/Export the design to CAD formats like .DXF/.DWG/.IGS

A parts editor.

Scaling.

I would apriciate a fins-on-fins function.

And the ability to add external boosters (Like the Delta rockets) or fairings (Like the Saturn V) would be handy as well. I'd really like to put my Saturn V in Rocsim, but it seems that I can't do it without having to get really creative.

I quoted the items I would really like to see, Some of the other would be nice also. I would paid an additional $100 for a fully featured version with free upgrades.

Scaling- 20 bucks

Adding nosecones to outboard tubes- 10 bucks

More detailed printout of parts, sizes, etc. - Priceless

a simple scaling feature so I don't have to redesign the entire rocket to up or downscale it.

nothing complex, atleast something to allow me to up or downscale fin patterns for starters.

That's about the only thing that would tempt me to buy again, sorry, upgrade.

I have no problem with a linux version, but let's be realistic here. It would cost him money to spend a ton of time converting the program over to a format that the vast majority of rocketeers don't use.

1 & 2:
Scaling for sure & also be able to use any part anywhere in the rocket; $25.00.

3:
The ability to add 1 fin anywhere on the rocket; $1.00

JD

Not a feature request per se, but I would like a better user interface, like an Undo feature.

I second the undo feature- the button is there but it doesn't work (at least in Vista)

My priorites would be:

Parallel staging/fins on fins $20-30

Lateral mass offset (no idea how complext that might be) $5-10

Make the undo work (it should anyway) $1

Some kind of lift calculation for rockets with large surface areas in the simulation $5

I have no problem with a linux version, but let's be realistic here. It would cost him money to spend a ton of time converting the program over to a format that the vast majority of rocketeers don't use.

Open source priceless!
and a vast majority of rocketeers do use linux- this number is growing

Here is another - The ability to dump the simulation data to a PDA to carry onto the field (I hate dragging paper around). Yeah I can carry my laptop, however something I can toss in my range box would be much nicer. I would prefer Palm, however if you must a Wintendows Mobile application would be OK. $25

My two requests would be for scaling and the ability to add funtional side pods, with cones and fins, that Rocksim can calculate. The ability to add motors to the pods as well. Easily worth $75-100

I hope none of these features get implemented, because If I do decide to buy rocksim,
its going to cost over $1000!!!

The ability for fins on fins, tubes on fins, tubes on tubes, fins on tubes (any combinations I missed). Including nose cones on these tubes. Price - $15.

Parallel tubes, allowing offsets for like an old Estes Trident, or Sunward's Gravity Rider, or Fliskit's Night Whisper - another $15.

My prices are based on the present cost for Rocksim 8 (download version) is $111.13. I don't want the price to get too much higher.

Latest posts

Back