Design; Opinions requested

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fins, or no fins on this design?

• Total voters

Aeva

Jackal Rockets, programmer and engineer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I just want to see what everyone else thinks because I cannot decide myself. I'm making a design, I call it "Sythe" but that might change if I find something better.... my niece called it "a churro" lol. Anyway, The fake bell is the main feature of the design and it is made of 4 tail rings with 6 fins as pylons. This rocket is already stable without fins because of that bell. The stability barely changes (3.5 to 3.6 when I removed them while a J motor was loaded) so they're essentially aesthetic on this particular design. They add a really nice touch that compliments the design. On the otherhand, without them, the bell is more prominent and I like that because it's a really cool feature of this design.
1707919039164.png1707919235850.png

E:

FYI, the current design is for a 38mm MMT, but this would be a cool design to scale up to bigger motors. The BT might change a little in scale too.

Last edited:
100% with fins, not even close.

I'd be careful with stability with this design, regardless of what Rocksim is telling you. I don't know how much airflow you're going to get through all the rings in the bell.
Yeah I was a bit dubious on this. This is one of those designs I'd like to fly before I say for certain "it's stable". Thanks for the input!

Snowboarding Winter Olympics GIF by Team USA

Edit: You could call it Yellowjacket.

Last edited:
I like it with the fins. I think that might actually fly pretty well with the fins installed.

Without, I'd be careful. Not sure you'd get enough airflow through the rings to keep it stable.

centered on? or in between? they're already centered on them. I haven't tried looking at it with them in between the strakes
I don't normally have issues visualizing 3D objects from 2D images but in this case I did. I thought there were three strakes and three fins and the fins were in between the strakes. The additional images clarified the geometry. If this was my rocket I'd probably eliminate the strakes without the fins. That would help improve air flow through the ring fins.

No fins. Definitely no fins. It's sleek, minimalist, and futuristic. The fins look like they were tacked on as an afterthought and drag the design right back to the 1950's. Alas, looking at the poll, few seem to share my uniques sense of aesthetics....

I have a question about the fin structure, but I don't want to hi-jack your thread, so I am putting my question here: Fin Structure Question

Regards,
TAZ

I don't normally have issues visualizing 3D objects from 2D images but in this case I did. I thought there were three strakes and three fins and the fins were in between the strakes. The additional images clarified the geometry. If this was my rocket I'd probably eliminate the strakes without the fins. That would help improve air flow through the ring fins.
It was completely parallel to the viewer's perspective, so I don't blame you.
1708118100967.png
1708118151102.png
3 fins aligned with the strakes looks legit tbh.

No fins. Definitely no fins. It's sleek, minimalist, and futuristic. The fins look like they were tacked on as an afterthought and drag the design right back to the 1950's. Alas, looking at the poll, few seem to share my uniques sense of aesthetics....

I have a question about the fin structure, but I don't want to hi-jack your thread, so I am putting my question here: Fin Structure Question

Regards,
TAZ
No fins definitely has its own following, and I'm totally with you. I'm starting to think I'm going to make this a removable fin design. I really want to see if it flies well without them because moderns rockets don't typically have fins on the sustainer/booster. The whole point of this is to give the impression of that bell and the fins kinda take away from that.

That being said, there are legitimate concerns about safety if this has no fins.

Also responded to your thread.

Latest posts

Back