Rocksim activation problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterk03

Reaction score
I have a windows 10 machine which Rocksim has been installed and working fine for 2 years. The other day it was saying the activation is required? Its mentioning Windows Management Instrumentation, COM setup local group policy see TurboActivate.h.

The same day a new computer windows 11 out of the box i tried to install Rocksim on this machine. I get the message installation inside a Virtual Machine or Hypervisor is not allowed. Has anyone had a recent problems with Rocksim working or aware what all these messages are really saying? So just for S--- and Giggles I try installing Rocksim on Windows 8.1 and it works fine?

Sterk03

I downloaded and installed RS10 about 4 weeks ago on a 3 yr old MS Surface that I had just updated to Windows 11. It worked fine.

I was previously using RS9 and could not find my registration code. I called Apogee Rockets, they gave me a new code with which I registered RS10.

I can’t speak to the first issue but I had to talk to support to before I could activate my license on a machine with Hyper-V enabled.
So your saying you talked to someone at Apogee Rockets and they knew about this and how to handle it? They told me its my problem on my end???? Not theirs...so what did they do to make it work?
Thanks
Sterk03

Thanks yes it has something to do with the Virtual machine that Surface probably does not have. Even disabeling Hyper V and Virtual Machine it still will not install.
Sterk03

I had the same error. Take a screen capture of the error code. Send it to Apogee. They gave me a code that bypassed the virtual machine issue...

That is very strange as I sent the error log to them, kept saying on my end. I got no code that bypassed anything.
I will have to give a call out there see what's going on. Thanks for the info. It was like they had no clue what was happening or never heard about this.

My email thread with Apogee...

My first message:

1708487757326.png

I also sent this follow-up message:

Based on this post….

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...ual-machine-or-hypervisor.158094/post-2450074

I need to ask for this:

if you want to turn core isolation on in Windows 11, send Apogee support a message via their website and ask them to fix your individual product key.

The responded with an email with an attachment:

"Download the attached ActivationResponse.xml file (notice response, not request in the name) from your email. Then open the registration window again, and repeat the steps until you get to the Email Activation window. This time you will "Read activation response file.”"

NOTE: Apogee is VERY responsive and will make it work. I'm VERY surprised they told you it is your problem. Tim has a super reputation for making things right.

Only can tell you what has been sent to me. He said last he would flip the Virtual Switch to ON??????

I'll call again today and see what is up?

Thanks
Sterk03

I "upgraded" my perfectly fine Rocksim v9 to v10.0 on my Windows 10 machine and it never worked on that laptop ever again [they made me permanently give up v9 for the "upgrade"]. Three v10 patches later and my software still does not run on that computer. Are they 'responsive': to a point. They had no solution for me. Eventually I purchased another laptop and that one works with Rocksim v10, but I have no insight as to why the other does not. Lots of other software can install on windows without having to be especially careful of exactly how it gets installed.

I "upgraded" my perfectly fine Rocksim v9 to v10.0 on my Windows 10 machine and it never worked on that laptop ever again [they made me permanently give up v9 for the "upgrade"]. Three v10 patches later and my software still does not run on that computer. Are they 'responsive': to a point. They had no solution for me. Eventually I purchased another laptop and that one works with Rocksim v10, but I have no insight as to why the other does not. Lots of other software can install on windows without having to be especially careful of exactly how it gets installed.

I feel your pain. The strange thing is it was working just fine and then I get this error code and I made no changes to the computer prior. The other reply’s seem like Apogee knows exactly what’s wrong yet not to my responses. We will figure it out somehow.
Thanks for your input.
Sterk03

I feel your pain. The strange thing is it was working just fine and then I get this error code and I made no changes to the computer prior. The other reply’s seem like Apogee knows exactly what’s wrong yet not to my responses. We will figure it out somehow.
Thanks for your input.
Sterk03
Any chance you ran a BIOS update on the computer?

Hi TRF colleagues,

Just a few days ago I purchased and installed RockSim 11. Then I discovered that I was also having activation problems. I was getting the same message shown in Post #8 above.

I contacted Apogee Components about the matter, they did something, and asked me to try it again. And now — voila! — it works.

Apogee has great customer service. That, combined with its extensive educational resources, has made Apogee a great contributor to sport rocketry.

Stanley

I will second that Tim is pretty good about responding to emails when he is town. And yeah sometimes he will contemplate where the problem is but he tries to work towards a solution. He was a great help on figuring out a work around in RockSim Pro for 2-stage booster dual deploy sims. It took a couple of weeks because he was on the road but it was great advice. I think he took it as a challenge to figure out something so complex LOL.

I purchased Rocksim-11 last week for $50 for my Windows 10 machine. So far I have not been able to install the new version. Fortunately, my Rocksim-10 still works. When I try to download Rocksim-11 the download is incomplete. Evidently, the Anti-virus programs (Kaspersky, Chrome, maybe MS) are blocking it. Apogee says turning off the anti-virus programs temporarily will do the trick, but so far that has not worked. I got one response from Apogee, but that did not help. I emailed another request for help, but there has been no answer.

I purchased Rocksim-11 last week for $50 for my Windows 10 machine. So far I have not been able to install the new version. Fortunately, my Rocksim-10 still works. When I try to download Rocksim-11 the download is incomplete. Evidently, the Anti-virus programs (Kaspersky, Chrome, maybe MS) are blocking it. Apogee says turning off the anti-virus programs temporarily will do the trick, but so far that has not worked. I got one response from Apogee, but that did not help. I emailed another request for help, but there has been no answer.

Hopefully you get this fixed soon.

I guess the good news is that Rocksim is now $50, instead of $120 previously?

Since you are updating from v10 to v11, shouldn't that be just a $35 upgrade?

Last edited:
This is the Rocksim 11 2D view of my 3FNC rocket. Huh? Anybody else getting this? The end and 3D views render correctly.

1713229398482.png

Here is the Rocksim 10 rendering...

1713229497093.png

Same Rocksim file, notice the mass (and hence CG) is different, the CP is the same, the Margin is different. Not much different, but different.

I got something similar, but it was after I exported an OR rocket glider file to Rocsim v11 and then did some changes to the wing. So far, I do not trust exporting OR v23 to Rocsim v11. The predicted altitudes after exporting to both Rocksim V10 and v11 are very different.

Seriously, the 2D render is the base view of the rocket during your design. How can they get that wrong on initial release of the program.? Boggles the mind.

Yes, I just went back and did some random loading into RS v11 of different designs. On many imports the views look correct. However, some of the RS v11 models in the second 2D view are wrong. I tried RS v10 and as far as I can tell all the 2D views look correct. I sent a message to Apogee.

Edit: I just went back and looked at the Mars Snooper model and both 2D views are incorrect in RS v11. It seems RS v10 is fine.

Last edited:
Back