Rocket naming dilemma!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrracer

Reaction score
Just about done with the 4in madcow broken arrow xl.

I wanted to have my graphics guy cut out my first kids name that's due in June. But the wife said no. What's your guys thoughts?

Look up etymology of the name, get it done in another language? Might be a decent compromise.

e.g. Jennifer -->
Windo Seibra OR
Fair One OR
Fægere
etc.

Last edited:
I never name my rockets. They already came with the kit name. It's like renaming a dog you got from a friend. He already had a name. Why change it now? I guess I never understood naming boats or planes or the like. Maybe I don't have a good sense of imagination??? :dontknow:

Your wife’s request(lol... as if!) seems perfectly reasonable to me. Have a little fun with the rocket naming process and keep the peace all at the same time. No biggie.

I can’t think of a rocket named after a person, and I don’t know anyone who would want a rocket named after him. And if I put on kid’s shoes, I would be so embarrassed if my dad did this.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Orion is named after a Greek god. So is Apollo, Gemini, Titan and Mercury. These are all proper nouns. Also, I don't think a newborn is going to give a light about much.

Last edited:
Maybe using the possessive would be acceptable.
“Sally’s ride to the sky”
Or the declarative
“Ode to Sally”

My brain initially registered thread title as "Rocket naming denial".
Hmm ...
Maybe an idea can come from that ...
name denied ...
okay, that's it ...
name the rocket ...
"Name Withheld"

Just about done with the 4in madcow broken arrow xl.

I wanted to have my graphics guy cut out my first kids name that's due in June. But the wife said no. What's your guys thoughts?
Your wife is right. Think of how many rockets meet their ends in CATOs or are lost. Don't blow up your kid, even figuratively.

Look up etymology of the name, get it done in another language? Might be a decent compromise.

e.g. Jennifer -->
Windo Seibra OR
Fair One OR
Fægere
etc.
In a similar vein, you might use a cognate, such as Jenifer -> Guinevere

I never name my rockets. They already came with the kit name. It's like renaming a dog you got from a friend. He already had a name. Why change it now?
To me it's more like renaming a dog you got from a shelter. If the dog was a friend's you might not want to cut that connection. But renaming a shelter dog is making him your own. If I'm makimg a rocket my own with a paint scheme or customization or such, then I often want a new name for it.

I can’t think of a rocket named after a person...
Miss Reiley.

To me it's more like renaming a dog you got from a shelter. If the dog was a friend's you might not want tocut that connection. But renaming a shelter dog is making him your own. If I'm makimg a rocket my own with a paint scheme or customization or such, then I often want a new name for it.

Fair point.

I can’t think of a rocket named after a person, and I don’t know anyone who would want a rocket named after him. And if I put on kid’s shoes, I would be so embarrassed if my dad did this.

Merry Christmas everyone!
You think having a rocket named after you is bad? Poor Jupiter's rocket is far smaller than what Apollo and Saturn were able to put together. And there are worse things to be named after or having named after you.

Not giving a rocket a proper given name is very bad karma indeed. To not do so is just asking for trouble. You spent many hours building her, crafting her, perfecting her - she deserves a name.
Also, know that rockets, like ships of the sea, are inherently female. That doesn't mean the given name has to be male; it just means that if you acknowledge your rocket's inherently feminine nature, you will be ahead of the game.
Bob Schultz

Maybe a name involving "June"?

Wait a few years. If your daughter ends up having an interest in the models you fly, ask her if she'd like to have one named after her.

Actually probably better, ask her if she'd like to "help" build a model, and choose something simple and reliable like a Big Bertha. Don't force her to do much building, give her options on how much she wants to be involved with. Don't make the model into too much of a "treasured" thing though, since "crap happens" and it might crash or get lost and she might be too upset.

And she can pick the name of it, whether it is something off the wall like "Sparky", or "Rover", or "______ 's Rocket" ( _____ = her name). No coaching on what to choose, but perhaps veto power on a really poor choice (nothing involving poop, for example). :)

Your wife is entitled to whatever reasons she does not want to have you name that after your unborn daughter. I can think fo a few reasons, not gonna speculate & in the end does not matter anyway.

Hope things go well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back