RMS Basic Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Reaction score
I have been thinking for quite a while about purchasing RMS hardware but have hesitated because I could not figure out what I needed. I finally saw that Dr. Rocket as a table showing which motors work with which hardware and that cleared up some things.

I see casings in auctions quite frequently. Is there anything I should ask before I bid? I assume I will need to then go out and purchase closures if I only buy the casing.

Is there any thing I should keep in mind or look for? Historically, have there been any problems with any of the products.
What are the improvements with the Aerotech Easy Access hardware?

Lastly, will Dr. Rocket and Aerotech fit in 29mm and 38mm motor tubes with out modification?

That's a lot of questions. I appreciate you help.

I'm a newcomer to RMS myself but I may be able to help.

1) Where did you get the Dr. Rocket table showing the valid reloads.
2) Auction? Interesting. EBAY? I think I will check that out.

Now for the help. The Dr. Rocket is produced with liscense from AeroTech. Meaning they are compatable. The only two exceptions that I know of is:

A) The AT reload aft closure has a notch in it. This notch provides something for the motor hook to snap into. If you have a motor hook installed in your rockets I would think you would want to look into the AT cases, but beware. The part of the motor hook that acts as a helper to the thrust ring (inside the motor tube) may need to be filed down. In RMS, the aft closure acts as the thrust ring.

B) The aft closure for the AT is 1/16" thinner than the Dr. Rocket. That isn't that big of a deal unless you are using a screw in motor retainer such as the AeroPack. If you set up the AeroPack to accept the AT, then the Dr. Rocket wont fit cause there won't be enough thread for the ring to lock down. In other words the Dr. Rocket will be too big. But if you set the AeroPack for the Dr.Rocket you can use both.

C) I know I said 2, but here is the 3rd. I chose Dr. Rocket cause they just look cool... :)

BTW: I always get confused. Aft is rear right?

Hope this helps.

Back