Confused at RMS hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireball

Reaction score
Clearly a newb question. in regards to Aerotech RMS 24/40 and 24/60 hardware. If I buy the 24/60 hardware I can use all the 24 40 kits in it? I think there are spacers I have to use? just now looking at the reloadables. Don’t ya just hate not knowing stuff. Haha.

All that being said - if you are choosing between the two, get the 24/40. Much more versatile case with a huge number of reloads for it. Personally, I'd say the 24/40 and the 29/40-120 are must have cases for mid power flyers.

While I agree on picking the 24/40 over the 24/60, for me it's an economics choice. Yeah, there were 8 (now there's only 5 made all the time) loads for the 24/40, but I don't think the Ds make sense and tiny Blue Thunder underwhelms me. The 24/60 has great red, black, and white options but the trouble is the cost: [at retail,] $18/F motor vs $14.33/F motor for very similar impulse in the 24/40.

The F24W in the 24/40 case is my favorite small mid-power motor.

While I agree on picking the 24/40 over the 24/60, for me it's an economics choice. Yeah, there were 8 (now there's only 5 made all the time) loads for the 24/40, but I don't think the Ds make sense and tiny Blue Thunder underwhelms me. The 24/60 has great red, black, and white options but the trouble is the cost: [at retail,] $18/F motor vs $14.33/F motor for very similar impulse in the 24/40.

The 24/60 red is a disappointment. Extremely brief and small. Needs more juice.

I have four of the 24/40's and two of the 24/60's so that I can do clustering. The 24/60 has a much more robust design (larger less delicate threads).

The F24W seems to be a sweet spot of bang for the buck. Especially with Quest E35s being at ACSupply, anything less in the 24/40 seems silly. F39s on occasion. In my mind, the 24/60 is basically an F35.

Also, just to be that guy (see avatar), the question in the OP was asked and answered a few weeks ago and a search should have easily found it.

I'd personally get both motors. The RMS 24/40 has several great loads, my favorite are the D15, E18, and F24. Don't knock the 24/60 till you try it. The F35 is an amazing load, and I personally like it better than the F24. The F62 is a beast with its dark smoke!

I really wish Aerotech came out with their 24/80 and 24/120, I actually got to hold a prototype 24/120 motor. With CTI requiring hazmat, and the loads I want being hard to get.. that's just a missed opportunity.

I have a rocket where literally the CTI G65 is the only load I can fly it with, because all the other loads are HPR, cant fly them where I fly, and the only vendor that I buy from that has G65's, doesn't have G54's, but the other one does... but I am not going do two hazmat orders.... ugh...

I'd personally get both motors. The RMS 24/40 has several great loads, my favorite are the D15, E18, and F24. Don't knock the 24/60 till you try it. The F35 is an amazing load, and I personally like it better than the F24. The F62 is a beast with its dark smoke!

I really wish Aerotech came out with their 24/80 and 24/120, I actually got to hold a prototype 24/120 motor. With CTI requiring hazmat, and the loads I want being hard to get.. that's just a missed opportunity.

I have a rocket where literally the CTI G65 is the only load I can fly it with, because all the other loads are HPR, cant fly them where I fly, and the only vendor that I buy from that has G65's, doesn't have G54's, but the other one does... but I am not going do two hazmat orders.... ugh...

I think the solution going forward is to not build MPR rockets with 24mm motor mounts, right? ;)

I think the solution going forward is to not build MPR rockets with 24mm motor mounts, right? ;)
Actually the rocket is a two stage rocket built to fly on 27mm motors. It flew on FSI F100's. I want to fly it again, and my plan is to fly it with both stages joined but on a single G.

That would be a great case to have! I have all the CTI 24 cases but seldom fly them due to hazmat fees. The 24mm G reloads are awesome! There are a lot preexisting kits with 24mm mounts. Perhaps this is a topic for the Aerotech mfg thread.

The F24W seems to be a sweet spot of bang for the buck. Especially with Quest E35s being at ACSupply, anything less in the 24/40 seems silly. F39s on occasion. In my mind, the 24/60 is basically an F35.
Once I burn through my huge stockpile of E28 reloads, I'll likely sell a few of my 24/40 cases and mostly fly the brilliant, economical and case-not-risking E35 instead. I do like the F39 and will likely continue to fly it some, but I don't know I need five cases for it.

I use the D15 quite a bit. It has a very aggressive initial "punch", and can get a decent launch speed for heavier models that can't fly on any other D. So I use it on smaller fields, and also sometimes for a low altitude 1st flight of a new rocket.

Hans.

I use quite a few D22's. But OpenRocket consistently shows higher launch rod speed for the D15, mostly because it has higher thrust for that 1st 0.1 sec interval. For most rockets, it's a moot point, but I have a few that are marginal on the D22. In general, I'll use the D22 if I'm too lazy to load up the D15

Hans.

Back