AT RMS 54 Forward Seal Disk -- Stainless Steel or Aluminum or Both ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjhambrick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find my RMS 54 Forward Seal Disk ... I imagine I threw STILL another one out with the ashes of a spent motor ...

Time to buy another one ...

But before I do ...

I don't recall stainless steel forward seal disks back in the olden days.

I've been googling a bit but I don't see an answer to my Q ...

Gary at @AeroTech recommended a stainless steel forward seal disk for the K1103X here on TRF in reply to @Jester's Q: When it comes to stainless steel seal discs, are there any 54 mm reloads that require their use?

The K1103X is definitely on my do-list so I'll be needing an AT 54FSDSS.

But is it OK to always use a stainless steel forward seal disk instead of the standard Aluminum disk ?

Or do I also need a plain-ole anodized aluminum 54FSD too for 'the other' RMS 54 motors ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

I highly recommend the stainless steel one. I ended up burning through the aluminum one on a 54/2800 load after not many other flights. My SS one still looks brand new after a couple 1706 flights including a K2050ST.

Stainless will work with all loads, and is required for some. It comes at a higher cost and weighs significantly more, so if you're going for maximum performance, you want aluminum (assuming the load you're using doesn't require it).

I've not compared a 54 aluminum vs stainless, but in 75 and 98, the weight difference is very noticeable by hand.

-Kevin

I have 7 K1103 and 3 K2050 flights with the standard seal disk. No problems. I do have a 98 stainless for the super thunder loads.
I use aluminum seal disks in my D grain Rx motors, 10 sec burn in 54 mm, 17 sec burn in 98 mm.

Thanks to all for the input !

And just to close this thread ... I bought a shiney new 54mm Stainless Steel Forward Seal Disk from Harry at the Feb 18 AARG Launch.

I'll be all set until I throw this one out with the ashes :)

Maybe I'll be more careful with this one ?

-- kjh( :) nope, probably not :) )

I find that I almost always have enough play in the motor mount to add a piece of masking tape at the front of the motor with the words ‘seal disc’ written on it. It helps to remind me to rescue it while cleaning up the motor.

Just a thought.

Tony

I find that I almost always have enough play in the motor mount to add a piece of masking tape at the front of the motor with the words ‘seal disc’ written on it. It helps to remind me to rescue it while cleaning up the motor.

Just a thought.

Tony
Wow !

Why didn't I think of that !!

Thanks Tony, that'll be on my check list from now on !!!

-- kjh

Never had any trouble with aluminum seal disks even with my 10 sec burn D grains like the K160. I always used aluminum with my 98 mm 17 sec D grains with no trouble. I do have a 98 mm stainless disk for super thunder.

Back