Rascal, Estes Kit #2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted 20th September 2011, 02:22 AM
By: luke strawwalker
BAR jack of all trades Join Date: 18th January 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The post below is reprinted with luke strawwalkers permission. He accurately discribes the damp (wet) sanding technique he and I use. I see no need to reinvent the wheel on this one.

bradycros

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend a technique I call "damp sanding"...

I typically use a 440 grit or 600 grit as the final sanding on my rockets before painting (sanding the primer "glass smooth"-- don't worry, it still has MORE than enough 'tooth' for the paint to hold on to). It makes the surface SO smooth that the final color coats go on like silk and flow out perfectly without the need for color sanding (IMHO). Here's how you do it.

Get a bowl of water and keep it where you're sanding, and your sandpaper (I use roughly 2x3 inch blocks of sandpaper at at time and sand everything by hand (without sanding blocks). I usually sand while watching TV, so I set the bowl on the table by my chair and drape an old towel over me to keep the crud off. Have a couple paper towels handy too. Dip the paper in the water bowl, and then shake the excess off. You basically only want a few drops of water spread evenly on the paper. Start sanding, ALWAYS sand in a circular motion, and CONSTANTLY rotate the rocket in your hand very slowly as you sand, NEVER sand in the same spot continuously to avoid flat spots and sand-thrus. Sand easy with VERY little pressure-- let the paper do the work. The sanding will liberate "sanding mud" consisting of the primer you've sanded off the surface of the rocket, mixed with moisture from the sandpaper. About every minute or so, when the paper "loads up", drop it in the bowl, and take the paper towel and wipe the excess "sanding mud" off the rocket. Run your finger over the submerged paper to free the paint particles from the grit, pull the paper out of the bowl, shake the excess water off, and if you start getting too much water, daub the paper a bit on the towel before returning to sanding. Actually you can keep sanding without wiping the mud off that often-- about every third dip of the paper in the bowl is fine. The main thing is, you DON'T want water 'running everywhere'... you need JUST enough water to lube the paper a bit and keep the liberated primer particles flowing out as 'sanding mud'.

It's a REALLY easy process to learn once you get the hang of it and it works VERY well. You can LITERALLY make primer "shine" using this technique. Of course you don't have to take it THAT far (and it's probably better that you DON'T) because all you REALLY need to do is get rid of ALL the imperfections in the surface before you paint, and you'll have a GORGEOUS paint job (if you don't screw up applying the paint!)

I usually inspect the rocket by holding it up at eye level in front of me, with a sunlit window or bright light above and on the other side of the room. This will create a "glint" off the surface of the tubes or fin surfaces that will readily show any imperfections as specks, spots, craters, waves, or breaks in that "glint" of reflected light off the surface-- imperfections FAR too small to see directly, or to feel with your finger... but they stand out EASILY when looking at their effect on the reflection of light off the tube/surface. Once you have it to the point your satisfied, wipe it down with a DAMP paper towel to remove any remaining sanding mud and let it dry THOROUGHLY (overnight usually) and then paint as normal.

I regularly sand balsa fins, un-CA-sealed paper tubes, balsa transitions, etc. with this method and have had ZERO problems-- just terrific finishes!

Later and good luck! Hope this helps! OL JR

Rascal 025.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 024.jpg
    Rascal 024.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Rascal 019.jpg
    Rascal 019.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
The 400 grit got the boogers right off.

Rascal 021.jpg

Rascal 026.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 025.jpg
    Rascal 025.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The nose cone is already in good shape. Moved up to 800 grit wet/dry sand paper to smooth the already blemish free gray primer.

Attachments

• Rascal 024.jpg
    Rascal 024.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 31
Other then the launch lugs, the airframe only needed the primer smoothed out. 800 grit wet/dry sand paper was used again.

Rascal 028.jpg

I am going to be applying a light colored finish paint onto the Brascal. Light colored paint does not cover a dark color well.

So...

White primer is being used to cover the gray primer.

Rascal 043.jpg

Last edited:
More launch lug work using the 'paint on', 'paint off' method. Then all the Brascals white primer is lightly smoothed out.

Rascal 044.jpg

Rascal 045.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that there 'paint on', 'paint off' with damp 800 grit sand paper works like a champ. Who'd da thunk it? :D

Rascal 071.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 019.jpg
    Rascal 019.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Rascal 025.jpg
    Rascal 025.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Rascal 044.jpg
    Rascal 044.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Ahh....I see it now.

It's a Harlequin Rascal!

(She was in my tumbling class at Clown College.)

Man... You got to drive the Car with the Star AND take a tumble with her?

I got stuck with "The Hammer".

img42fb06ad37a26.jpg

Those free veggie bags you get from the store make good masking material.

Several of these unused bags always seem to find their way to my home after I take a trip to the store. Go figure.

Rascal 062.jpg

Bottom of the bag had a small hole cut into it allowing the handle to pass thru.

The taped up top is cut open with sissors and the bag is slid off the handle, exposing the blue tape.

Rascal 063.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 062.jpg
    Rascal 062.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
The 3M low tack blue painters tape is removed to expose the 6mm Tamiya masking tape.

Rascal 064.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 062.jpg
    Rascal 062.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Rascal 063.jpg
    Rascal 063.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 38
Those free veggie bags you get from the store make good masking material.

Several of these unused bags always seem to find their way to my home after I take a trip to the store. Go figure.

Bottom of the bag had a small hole cut into it allowing the handle to pass thru.

The taped up top is cut open with sissors and the bag is slid off the handle, exposing the blue tape.

The 3M low tack blue painters tape is removed to expose the 6mm Tamiya masking tape.

The bottom two strips of Tamiya 6mm masking tape are removed. A 2mm ring is exposed.

Rascal 067.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 062.jpg
    Rascal 062.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Rascal 063.jpg
    Rascal 063.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Rascal 064.jpg
    Rascal 064.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 36

The bottom two strips of Tamiya 6mm masking tape are removed. A 2mm ring is exposed.

The next strip of Tamiya 6mm masking tape was removed. A 4mm ring is exposed.

Rascal 065.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 063.jpg
    Rascal 063.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Rascal 064.jpg
    Rascal 064.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Rascal 067.jpg
    Rascal 067.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
As usual ,very well done :handshake: AND it`s not even done yet !

I`m so jealous right now ,as up here...the painting season is finished ,at least for my high power projects %$#@*&^% :( ,so I guess it`s time for the small paint booth and smaller projects.That usually means TLP kit time ;)

Nice work friend !

Paul T

PS- you may want to be Krylon`s PR man !!

Attachments

• Rascal 064.jpg
    Rascal 064.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Rascal 067.jpg
    Rascal 067.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Rascal 065.jpg
    Rascal 065.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back