Hi from North Texas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a retired engineer that was heavily into Estes back in the 70's with school friends, then got back into low power rockets again in the 90's with extended family, and just ordered a pair of Baby Berthas and accessories so that I can teach my grandson how to build and fly. I have a kit from the 90's for my level one cert, sitting on the shelf in the shop but have not gotten around to it yet. lol

Found the forum while looking up schematics for launch controllers.

Travis

Hey Travis, welcome to the forum! Seams like your going about launching your self with building controller which is cool. If you're ever interested in joining a local launch there are several groups in the area. DARS is probably your closest. If you're willing to drive 2-3hr there are several options including TNT, AARG, Tripoli Houston. All really great people to fly with!

www.dars.org

Normally launching the third Saturday of the month in Gunter, but launching tomorrow since weather is supposed to be better. First Sunday of the month in Arlington (D and less)

Chas

Just now seeing all these responses. I need to check my notification settings for this forum. I appreciate all the welcomes!
www.dars.org

Normally launching the third Saturday of the month in Gunter, but launching tomorrow since weather is supposed to be better. First Sunday of the month in Arlington (D and less)

Chas
I hope to get all three grandsons out to a Gunter Launch sometime this summer, just so they can see what is is really all about. Maybe even an Arlington Sunday.
Welcome back to the party @Travis NTexas ! Which kit from the 90’s ? FYI rail buttons are preferable to the quarter inch lugs that the kit probably has. One fine Texas source is https://buyrocketmotors.com/
They’ll have your L1 motor too, when you’re ready. 🙂

The level 1 kit I have is a PML Small Endeavor that has not been started. I have already decided to switch to rail buttons rather than the brass lugs.

I have one Estes Baby Bertha in progress with my middle grandson, a second Baby Bertha that I will be helping my oldest grandson assemble tomorrow, and an Apogee Wayfarer so that I can slap together a kit to fly with them :D

I don't know how we built stuff when I was a kid without YouTube, Forums, and internet searches!

I have always wanted to build the 1/100th scale Estes Saturn V. I was looking at the current kit offerings and a few build videos one morning, then I went out to the shop and dug out my old rocket stuff. Turns out that I actually HAVE one of those kits, fully unassembled, and I have no idea when I got it or how I got it!!

I do not have the overwrap from the package with the model number, and I have not found the instructions (they would be in my blue rocket folder, that I can't find), so I don't know if it's an original kit or if it is the special release they did on the Apollo 11 anniversary. I do know that it is not the Skylab version, and that it is the 1/100 scale version.

So I will be starting that in the near future, along with my Small Endeavor. I have just about all the epoxy and other supplies I need to get started on that one.

The Small Endevour is a nice flyer. Mine's been in the refurb hanger for awhile.

PML small endeaver.JPG

I inherited mine already built from a donation to the DARS clubs home for unwanted rockets. It last flew with an Aerotech G78 for a low and slow hop but will easily eat H and Is.

The last Saturn V was model #1969 in the 2019 catalog. If yours has the plastic LEM shroud then that's a #1969. If yours has the cardstock shroud then it's likely the #2157.

Last edited:
Interesting. I see that Estes sells the plastic LEM shroud for the #1969. No sign of one in my kit. I will figure it out when I start a build thread for it. Appreciate the inputs!

The intructions have the model number listed somewhere.

[edit] Nevermind. Saw that you don't have the instructions handy.

Last edited:
Back