Rascal, Estes Kit #2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This picture is 'staged'... titled "INCOMING"

Rascal 003.jpg

Last edited:
No No No, goofy-eyes.
Rascal decal, it has a break in the colored stripes, right where the Hurceles does for the booster/sustainer fins meet. Darn it, I gotta learn to use these links thingys. Then I could show ya what I mean.
Stripes are just like the ones on the Hurceles fins, except on the Hurceles it has 2 stages where the Rascal is only one. But the strip on the fins with the name has a gap like the Hurceles where the stages intersect.
ARG, I give up, bed time.

No No No, goofy-eyes.
Rascal decal, it has a break in the colored stripes, right where the Hurceles does for the booster/sustainer fins meet. Darn it, I gotta learn to use these links thingys. Then I could show ya what I mean.
Stripes are just like the ones on the Hurceles fins, except on the Hurceles it has 2 stages where the Rascal is only one. But the strip on the fins with the name has a gap like the Hurceles where the stages intersect.
ARG, I give up, bed time.

It sort of looks like Estes used the same decal. They just changed the name.

I can do it with or without the break.

Top decal without bottom decal with the break.

Ahhh...but...there is another Rascal decal lurking.:bat:

rascal break.JPG

Last edited:
I think I was out riding around in that little car instead of paying attention when they taught the bevel trick at Clown College.

Although I'm not a fan of beveled fins, you have certainly done a nice job with your Rascal.

BTW, I took a dig at the club breakfast this morning from Captain Low-n-Slow about my 30 year old kit STILL being unfinished. Maybe this thread will inspire me to paint and decal my Rascal.

BTW, I took a dig at the club breakfast this morning from Captain Low-n-Slow about my 30 year old kit STILL being unfinished. Maybe this thread will inspire me to paint and decal my Rascal.

You finished your Maxi Alpha, so I know you CAN finish rockets...

I think I was out riding around in that little car instead of paying attention when they taught the bevel trick at Clown College.

Although I'm not a fan of beveled fins, you have certainly done a nice job with your Rascal.

I may have learned the "amazing" bevel-deni trick but you, yes YOU, got to drive the Car with the Star.

9780822576372_150x150.jpg

Last edited:
I have the original kit, instructions, and decals. All primed and awaiting paint.

When I became a BAR, it was the kit I wanted to complete as I had started it almost 30 years before.

Still haven't quite finished it yet...

You should get to it...

Chances are you won't be around for another thirty years. But then again, who knows.

The good looking finish we all like to have on our rockets starts with good surface preperation.

Thru out the construction of the rocket, attention to detail will have a dramatic effect on the final paints appearance.

Attachments

• Rascal 001.jpg
    Rascal 001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
All the Rascals exterior components had carpenters wood filler rubbed into them by utilizing this bio-mechcanical device.

my boid.jpg

Rascal 001.jpg

Any parts that needed to stay round were sanded with a concave sanding block.

my boid 002.jpg

Rascal 003.jpg

Any parts that needed to stay flat were sanded with a flat sanding block.

Rascal 049.jpg

Rascal 002.jpg

The surface of the rocket should be given one more good looking over before first coat of primer is applied.

Rascal.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I did.

Here's proof I actually have a primered Rascal. It needs only paint and decals.
And it is indeed 30 years old but has never flown.

Hmmm... A 30 year old Rascal? When I ordered my Rascal kit online, I looked and found that it was produced 1990-91. The oldest it can be is 20 years, but I need to do more research. I also got my Rascal today and I'm almost done!:cyclops:

-Socknic

You may be right about that, Sock.

I made the statement just on what I was told...or what I vaguely remember being told... :confused:

On the plus side, it gives me another 10 years before I need to finish painting it. :D

Hmmm... A 30 year old Rascal? When I ordered my Rascal kit online, I looked and found that it was produced 1990-91. The oldest it can be is 20 years... cyclops:

Give the 'Trained Rocket Monkey' his due, ya dadgum whooper snapper!

The gray primer needs a short time to dry out completly.

Rascal 023.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 001.jpg
    Rascal 001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 26
For someone new to the finishing process, the gray primer is used to bring out and expose the flaws you didn't see or feel before.

Without good surface preperation all the spirals, wood grain, dents, nicks, glue dribbles, mold seams and crummy fillets will now be glaring up at you.

The surface preperation on this Rascal was pretty good. Only a few flaws revealed themselves on and around the launch lugs.

Rascal 019.jpg

Rascal 018.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 023.jpg
    Rascal 023.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 26
To get the glue boogers around the launch lugs off without removing primer (for the most part) from the surrounding area, wet or dry/400 grit sand was used.

Rascal 024.jpg

Attachments

• Rascal 019.jpg
    Rascal 019.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Rascal 018.jpg
    Rascal 018.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back