Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, I was mostly complaining about apple, they make great phones but they are shady is a man in a ally selling you a watch!

Which is why I will never buy one made after the Apple ][e tt

Woz made those and made them OPEN , everything published so any company could make parts, accessories, software for it and made it the most popular computer. Jobs closed the MAC all up, it even bankrupted Apple a few times due to that.

IBM published all the PC and AT stuff, it made it more popular then the closed up MAC it competed against. Even with Higher education being coerced into only using MACs in what clearly was against trade laws, they never really got popular market share over PCs. Instead they focused on APPLE as a Religion.

IBM made the same mistake. In 1987 they made the PSII* all locked up. Basically caused Hemorrhaging IBM and as they blead out; they sold all the PC and Laptop stuff to Lenovo in China.

* Not to be confused with Estes Pro Series II

tt I have one in my Shed Still. It has been over 7 years since I last booted it up on it's 5-1/4 Apple DOS disk. I need to see if it still works, it's time for me to sell it and the monitors/drives/cards I have with it.

So you do not have the Right for DIY or self repair ?

Edit: that would be like me not being able to buy an Air Filter or MAF sensor for my car at the auto store to save the AES technician's job?
and @NTP2 :

We do have the right to do DIY, but some things need to be validated / inspected / signed off by a qualified person in the field. But you need to have a certain level of know-how to do it, a certain level of competency, etc.. technically, when I get toe h check-out, the cashier is supposed o ask for my trade card, to ensure I am qualified to buy and install whatever I bought.

You've redone your basement workshop, and have 12 outlets on a single 15A circuit.. Is that OK?
Or, you've hacked a 2" notch in the bottom of each floor joist to run a pipe.. Is that OK?
Or, you've installed an ABS sanitary Tee between 3 PVC pipes.. Is that OK? and is the sanitary Tee upside down? (is there a difference?!?)
How long should a nail be to join 2 pieces of wood? What there's a rule for that?!?!

Why is it wrong? 😉

I would assume it's the same in any jurisdiction. That any work has to conform to the local laws & regulations. It's on the owner / worker to ensure the work is done to a certain level of quality & competency. And in the case of an accident / issue, the courts / insurance can deny you coverage because the work wasn't done by someone qualified.. that's what they are trying to maintain, safety and that the work is done per code & local laws..

It's also a ploy to help the trade unions maintain their workers & work fees & such..

1715282818034.png

and @NTP2 :

We do have the right to do DIY, but some things need to be validated / inspected / signed off by a qualified person in the field. But you need to have a certain level of know-how to do it, a certain level of competency, etc.. technically, when I get toe h check-out, the cashier is supposed o ask for my trade card, to ensure I am qualified to buy and install whatever I bought.

You've redone your basement workshop, and have 12 outlets on a single 15A circuit.. Is that OK?
Or, you've hacked a 2" notch in the bottom of each floor joist to run a pipe.. Is that OK?
Or, you've installed an ABS sanitary Tee between 3 PVC pipes.. Is that OK? and is the sanitary Tee upside down? (is there a difference?!?)
How long should a nail be to join 2 pieces of wood? What there's a rule for that?!?!

Why is it wrong? 😉

I would assume it's the same in any jurisdiction. That any work has to conform to the local laws & regulations. It's on the owner / worker to ensure the work is done to a certain level of quality & competency. And in the case of an accident / issue, the courts / insurance can deny you coverage because the work wasn't done by someone qualified.. that's what they are trying to maintain, safety and that the work is done per code & local laws..

It's also a ploy to help the trade unions maintain their workers & work fees & such..

View attachment 644544

You should visit the rural south sometime where code many times is not even checked.

First we can buy what we need. It is up to the home owner to make it to code. Each state may or may not have certain rules on inspections on certain products. Generally it is not till you sell your house that inspections come into play.

If your house burns down due that picture above, you don't get coverage more then likely unless your father is Boss Hog in the jurisdiction 😂 [old 80s TV sit-com]

On the QRZ ham radio forum that is the Radio version of TRF, the lead moderator had his Ham Shack burn down and tons of rare nice radios ruined. The inspectors found nothing he did wrong, it was a plastic surge protector that the MOV caught on fire that started the whole mess.

Lucky it was not connected to his house. He rebuild it but the rare radios are lost.

I've seen a ton of scary, not even close to code stuff done on my house by the original builders. Presumably, they were pros and it got inspected. Anything I have to work on, I leave a lot better than I find it.

It seems to me that when it comes to house contractors and auto mechanics, "pro" is effectively a word that means someone whose time is so expensive they can't be bothered to take the extra time to do things right.

813.. how people can't see their mistakes, or fail to understand how something is suppose dot work..

But then again, it is technically illegal for me (here in Quebec) to go into a hardware store to buy anything electrical or plumbing.. First off, to save the trade jobs of those who have their ticket.. (I'm neither a registered electrician nor plumber) but more so to stop people from doing stupid (and potentially deadly) things.. like running a 200' of 18AWG 'lamp wire' to run a heater!
200 LF of 18AWG wire for a heater...... I'd call that evolution..... I always thought that the helmet law in CA was a contributing factor to all the crazies alive there...

We do have the right to do DIY, but some things need to be validated / inspected / signed off by a qualified person in the field.
Actually, that's the same here. for many types of work, and probably for some types of work that I don't know. When my electric dryer died in the first house that I owned, with a load of wet laundry in it, I went out and bought a new gas dryer and all the black iron pipe (and pink tef tape that's labeled for use with gas) that I needed to install it the way I wanted. I replaced an elbow in the line to the furnace with a tee, ran new pipe around to where the dryer goes, with a tee before it under where the new range would eventually be, a tee for the dryer, and pipe extending to the electric water heater preparing for the day that it would need replacing. A plug in the range tee and a cap over the end of the pipe. All that with no permit, because it was Saturday. Called the town building inspector on Monday, he came out, checked the work, and signed it off. Said doing it before the permit because it was the weekend is perfectly normal, but didn't say whether or not it's technically legal. When I installed the new gas range a couple of years later, he told me 1) I had done it wrong on two points, and 2) what I did was safe and the code is dumb, but rules are rules. I fixed it, he signed it off. On the other hand, I've done wiring in my house many times that probably should have been inspected and signed off, but I've never bothered.

I've seen a ton of scary, not even close to code stuff done on my house by the original builders. Presumably, they were pros and it got inspected. Anything I have to work on, I leave a lot better than I find it.

It seems to me that when it comes to house contractors and auto mechanics, "pro" is effectively a word that means someone whose time is so expensive they can't be bothered to take the extra time to do things right.
Oh, yeah, that too. When I moved into the house above, the electric range was so covered in polymerized rancid grease that I had to take it out into the back yard and cover it with oven cleaner, and let that work while I sanded the walls. I found that the contractor had used aluminum wire (legal when the house was built) from the breaker to the range, and jammed it into the terminal block on the range that clearly said "Copper wire only". I added coper pigtails, with the proper anti-oxidant grease and all that stuff, before putting the range back.

Last edited:
I always thought that the helmet law in CA was a contributing factor to all the crazies alive there...

It was more a consequence of socialized medicine. In the 1980s, guys were putting themselves into long-term care with head injuries that were effectively insured by the state. Since the state had skin in the game, it was reasonably justified to require people to take some preventive action on the head injuries, so the rest of the people didn't have to pay for their negligence.

My wife hates that movie. Don't think she likes Spaceballs either. Probably because they are a little immature, even though she watches TV news, currently.

I think Mel Brooks was/is a genius.
INCONCIEVABLE!
(Ok, not Mel Brooks, but it fits!)

That's my personal hell, unless there is a band. I can handle crowds for a band, but I still don't have to talk to people.

Drizzle it with olive oil, wrap in bacon, gril it and add some Romano and black pepper so it doesn't taste like asparagus anymore.
Wrap in thin sliced beef, drizzle with some sort of Japanese sauce and grill (Negi-Maki) Love the stuff, yet also not an Asparagus fan

Back