Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I'm getting at is that the gate lock above isn't a lockout like you'd use for a machine. It's sort of the opposite--a means of providing access to many people individually. In more formal logic, the gate lock is an OR function since it can open with any individual lock removed. A machine lockout should be an AND function, where all locks have to be removed before opening. Different approaches for different purposes. And no, I wouldn't stick my hand into a machine locked out by the gate lock!
This is exactly correct. I used to work as a microwave relay engineer and had to travel to many remote sites to maintain the equipment. Many of our sites were shared with other users. This way any one of us could access the site with our key any time we needed. I have also seen this done by simply daisy chaining all the locks together to form a sort of chain of locks. Both served the purpose.

What I'm getting at is that the gate lock above isn't a lockout like you'd use for a machine. It's sort of the opposite--a means of providing access to many people individually. In more formal logic, the gate lock is an OR function since it can open with any individual lock removed. A machine lockout should be an AND function, where all locks have to be removed before opening. Different approaches for different purposes. And no, I wouldn't stick my hand into a machine locked out by the gate lock!
I wrote almost the same thing then removed it because @boatgeek beat me to it.

In other words, since we don't know why it's locked, we can't assume that an AND gate is needed, and this OR gate may be just the thing.

Last edited:
Westinghouse (AC) and Edison (DC). Who is the guy that got replaced?
Nicola Tesla. A brilliant electrical engineer, often credited, wrongly, with inventing AC power and fighting Edison. Rightly credited with developing much of the AC generation and distribution that Westinghouse was fighting Edison about. And with many other inventions and developments (but not self driving cars).

He invented the poly-phase system for AC, which we normally see as 3-phase power in our electricity systems.

I visited his home town in Croatia, including the house he grew up in, a museum and his fathers church.

I also saw a couple of serious Tesla coils demonstrated over there, one producing over a million volts.

Also did some quad-biking in the mountains just down the road from there. Good fun also.

He invented the poly-phase system for AC, which we normally see as 3-phase power in our electricity systems.

I visited his home town in Croatia, including the house he grew up in, a museum and his fathers church.

I also saw a couple of serious Tesla coils demonstrated over there, one producing over a million volts.

Also did some quad-biking in the mountains just down the road from there. Good fun also.

Wikipedia (the font of all knowledge) says:
It goes on to list contributions by each, including the first polyphase generator and the first polyphase motor and the first hydroelectric polyphase power station, none of which came from Tesla. Tesla did invent the first specifically 3 phase motor, and that's what has become the de facto standard. And he did make the then biggest hydroelectric station, biggest by a lot, which had a lot to do with making very wide spread distribution grids a reality.

There is both a lot of truth and a lot of myth around Tesla's accomplishments. I in no way want to diminish or take anything away from the genuinely great things he did.

View attachment 643432

Took me a while to figure out how the two locks on the bottom can unlock the gate.
This is not only funny but quite ingenious.
(Probably easier to have one lock and six keys though).
:D
Commonly seen on backcountry and fire roads out west. You can have access restricted to multiple people who dont know each other. If you get divorced and have to change the key, you only have to change yours, not everyone else’s also. Think landowner, grazing lessee, US Forest Service, Oil lessee, Cal Fire, Pacific Gas & Electric, a cell tower maintenance crew, and the operators of the CIA black site hidden way out in the middle of nowhere.

That's my personal hell, unless there is a band. I can handle crowds for a band, but I still don't have to talk to people.

Drizzle it with olive oil, wrap in bacon, gril it and add some Romano and black pepper so it doesn't taste like asparagus anymore.
I don't like asparagus mostly because of the consistency. If you don't like the taste of asparagus, why bother with it in the first place? Just seems like a lot of effort to go through for something you don't like.

Back