Phoenix RC RG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjohnson

mox nix
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I started an Aerotech Phoenix kit with some friends who had purchased the SkyKing RC version. We got a great start on making the wings (using epoxy and a food saver vacuum bagger) and then sort of put the project away for a while.

This year a couple of us started up on the project again, and just did our maiden flights on Saturday 11/19- 3 years and 3 days after the first build session. Wow.

Unfortunately I wasn't taking photos of the build back then, so I don't have anything of the wing construction, but here are some photos from the recent months of the progress, starting with the alignment of the motor tube:
6369226965_d8fb572111.jpg

Jim holding his model with the wing bolted on. I think we were checking alignment for the tail feathers.
6369243697_7b3ed1b8da.jpg

The bare fuselages with the already covered tail feathers attached.
6369241465_634431cb71.jpg

A close up of the tails.
6369238853_803b4c88f0.jpg

Jim working on the covering for his model. We made templates (the white piece in the foreground) for all the bits of covering.
6369259883_15c7219381.jpg

Here are the fuselages with part of the covering done.
6369259115_85e48bf50b.jpg

My wing covered.
6369235603_7e339208d8.jpg

Everything but the fuselages covered.
6369232107_eb7c7f8a32.jpg
6369230695_e57a4cc132.jpg

Jim looks like he's having lots of fun!

Here they are with all the covering done.
6369260811_1cf2cfaca1.jpg

This was the inspiration for the color scheme. We chose our colors based on the rolls of oracote that I had purchased when a local hobby shop closed down a few years ago.
6369219901_6657a4bd13.jpg

We built switch jacks for the planes so we didn't have to pull off the canopy to turn the electronics on. When the jack is in place, the circuit is open, pull the plug and it closes. Here is the jack, and then the installation on my plane.
6369221189_be93d509f5.jpg
6369248737_e65d657dcb.jpg
6369261401_9759aa489a.jpg

We flew them on Saturday at the NARHAMS sport launch. Here's Jim posing before his flight:
6369251503_073a381cba.jpg

He of course made me fly first. Here is the video of my 1st flight using an F13 reload.
[YOUTUBE]YFeWI1PXc0Q[/YOUTUBE]

I need to work on my landings. :) There was a minor bit of damage which was repaired with some thin CA right there on the field. I flew another 3 times, once more on the F13 and then 2 G12 loads.

Here is Jim's maiden flight, also on the F13 reload.
[YOUTUBE]oFwEaI7Bt_I[/YOUTUBE]

He also needs to work on his landings. :) Jim had a little more damage from the tweaked landing, popped off the vertical and horizontal tails right at the glue joints. Should be an easy fix.

Super fun project, one of the more involved RCRG builds I've done, but also one of the most rewarding. My glider ended up being mostly from the old Aerotech kit, with the substitution of the SkyKing tail parts (laser cut, made it a lot easier!), and carbon pushrods.

kj

It wasn't as bad as the audio makes it sound... winds were 5-10 mph most of the day with brief calm spells later on.

kj

The wind was back and forth, for first flights they were successful to me :D

I was amazed that the boost speed was slower then I expected. I was also amazed at how fast the glide speed was...........WOW !

I know Bob Parks talks of flying these on F50 motors :y: I think my knees would be knocking just thinking of trying an F50.

I have to go back and glue my stabilizer and rudder back on, they broke off cleanly on the rough landing. Looking forward to next time and some G12's !

Jim

( Rookie pilot for 10 years now )

I think with the lower thrust RC motors the vertical boost speed gets affected by fighting the wind, I've seen that several times with my profiles, where on a non wind day it boosts straight and quick but when I have a headwind it seems to crawl more.

Frank

This was the heaviest RCRG I've flown. I'm used to boosting really lightweight models on the E6, so it did seem like it was clawing for altitude. I'm really interested on flying some of the F16 and F23 loads, or making something lighter for the G12.

Perversely, it's not the fastest gliding RCRG I've flown. That honor has to go to the SpaceShipOne conversion and it's tiny wing area.

kj

Nice job on the gliders guys. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do (did) mine. (It's a long story)

You can get more altitude if you launch and push slightly forward (down) to let the glider gain speed for a couple of seconds. Then gradually begin climbing steeper and you will be surprised how much altitude you can get with the G12. I get around 800 feet consistently according to my altimeter one. As I am old, any higher than that and I can't see it anyway. ;) Use the wing and not brute force because, as you say, this is heavier than most boost gliders. A little up trim on elevator will slow the glide down nicely after the boost. Just be careful not to stall and snap it.

Again, nice job.

Here's a great pic taken by MrCluster of my Phoenix taking off on an F23SK reload.

6420668219_8ce1b4c860_b.jpg

kj

@ kjohnson

Wow, I'm flattered to see my Phoenix being used as the inspiration for someone else's colour scheme. Yours look great! (How did you get the covering to form to the shape of the canopy so well, or is that vaccuumed carbon?)

As JoeG has already noted a shallower take-off will allow you to get much more altitude. You'll also find it will give you a much more controllable launch because you'll be flying fast enough for the controls to have good effect. I have my launch stand permanenly set to the minimum allowable take-off angle to help with this.

I don't know what radio you're flying from, but I've got mine programmed so I can deflect both ailerons upwards during the landing run to further help slow things down.

Love those F23 White Lightning loads - they look great and "kick" you off the launch rails.

KMc

4flt_launch_WhiteLightning.jpg

go.jpg

@ kjohnson

Wow, I'm flattered to see my Phoenix being used as the inspiration for someone else's colour scheme. Yours look great! (How did you get the covering to form to the shape of the canopy so well, or is that vaccuumed carbon?)

Thanks, your's is very pretty and had the best photos of the ones I looked at. For my canopy it's just 3 pieces of carbon patterened monokote (top and two sides) layed down with the iron. Some little relief cuts here and there for the curvy bits.

I don't know what radio you're flying from, but I've got mine programmed so I can deflect both ailerons upwards during the landing run to further help slow things down.

I'm using a JR 9303 and have gotten the flight modes for boost and glide programmed. I haven't messed with adding in the spoiler action yet, but I do have that 3rd flight mode ready for it.

kj

Back