Visited the Armstrong Air and Space Museum - Features Estes Saturn V - Great Little Museum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markschnell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just recently had the opportunity to visit the Armstrong Air and Space Museum in Wapakoneta, Ohio. It is a very good museum, as you we would expect it to be for Neil Armstrong. You can see his Gemini VIII capsule and you can get your nose right up to the plexiglass to look at it closely. I loved that. I also loved talking to the museum historian who was knowledgable as you'd expect, but he was also very nice in answering questions. He answered several questions about Gemini VIII for me. You can also see Neil's prime spacesuit for that mission and his backup suit for Apollo 11. There are several other artifacts that flew on Apollo 11. There is a fairly impressive collection of artifacts from the Soviet space program. My son and I loved the movie they show every half hour too. They showed stuff from his childhood and the plane he learned to fly in is mounted on the wall. There is a sign that says, "Don't touch the wing." Yeah, you guessed it, I look over and my nearly six foot tall 12 year old was touching it. :confused:
Another reason I post this here besides how cool it is, is because the model they have of Apollo 11 mounted to its Saturn V is without a doubt the Estes 1/100 kit. It's donated by Glenn Gibson. It's a great build and I'm going to assume Glenn built it too. Are you a member here, Glenn?
If you've got a chance to drop by north-western Ohio with two or three hours to kill I can't recommend this museum enough.

Armstrong Air and Space Museum

When I see that last photo I can't help but think about how no one in Neil's life could have ever dreamed what he would achieve. I got a little choked up thinking the same thing about my own son sitting there beside this very cool statue of the teenaged Neil. I guess that's why we have museums, huh.
2D8E41B6-DA6E-4162-A1B2-634F76E268E9_1_105_c.jpeg
239081C4-0CF7-41CE-8A6F-79F3AAB38C9F_1_102_o.jpeg
30A194D3-A5AA-42D1-B4C4-B99CE816EF66_1_102_o.jpeg
7A59B336-465D-458D-AF5D-CC764189A8AB_1_102_o.jpeg
D033A71C-0471-400B-90B6-35488327D62C_1_105_c.jpeg
8342BE41-80AB-4ED9-BF86-4E97B5BC2BE3_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
You know, I just put that on my radar, as the April 8th solar eclipse goes right over Wapakoneta, within a few miles. Now that's be me, if the weather was even halfway decent I'd be all over it. The rest of the family isn't quite as enthusiastic... it figures.

You know, Neil and Dave Scott nearly lost their lives in that Gemini capsule. That's something to go "Ulp!" over as well. And loo at that thing! A buddy of mine once remarked, "That's like spending what- 3 to 12 days in the front seat of a Volkswagen [Beetle] with the same guy!" Including all body functions, too!

What these guys did - what Neil did - well, it seems like it'll be a while before we see a "first" of that magnitude again. Thanks for the review!

You know, I just put that on my radar, as the April 8th solar eclipse goes right over Wapakoneta, within a few miles. Now that's be me, if the weather was even halfway decent I'd be all over it. The rest of the family isn't quite as enthusiastic... it figures.

You know, Neil and Dave Scott nearly lost their lives in that Gemini capsule. That's something to go "Ulp!" over as well. And loo at that thing! A buddy of mine once remarked, "That's like spending what- 3 to 12 days in the front seat of a Volkswagen [Beetle] with the same guy!" Including all body functions, too!

What these guys did - what Neil did - well, it seems like it'll be a while before we see a "first" of that magnitude again. Thanks for the review!
They have some special stuff planned because of the eclipse. You can find it on the site under coming events or something like that.

Back