Parachute and recovery harness both in protector?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjkcolorado

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for experience with packing recovery gear. I'm working on a 4" blue tube scratch build. I'm adjusting my OR design file as I build/purchase all the parts and pieces. I've been 'test packing' a section of body tube with shock cord, parachute and Nomex protector to see what length of body tube I can pack it all in. I was experimenting with various packing methods and noticed that I can easily pack my drogue chute and 'z-folded' tubular nylon together inside the Nomex protector. This includes leaving about 3' of tubular nylon with a protective sleeve leading to the bundle. That 3' will be plenty of length to allow the bundle to fully exit the tube on deployment. I do not have my main chute yet, but it will probably be a 60" TFR Crossfire. I like the idea of protecting the rest of the recovery harness in the Nomex with the chute, but want to know if I am at higher risk of things getting fouled. Please share your thoughts and experience on this. Thanks.

First off, good idea, and commonly done. After all, you've got to protect any tubular nylon parts too.

Second, I find it's a good practice to bundle the shock cord with just a couple pieces of masking tape. Nothing really snug, just enough to force "a moment" before the cord starts to unravel. This moment can be very handy to give the chute a bit of uncluttered air to open up in. Reduces the chance of the chute and cord tangling together.

Good luck!

I plan on trying the lightly taped z-folded bundles of shock cord. I have also seen a lot of chute packing techniques, but can't recall any pictures showing exactly how people have combined the shock cord and chute in the protector. I have used the burrito wrap method for the chute only in the past. I was thinking about this same technique to capture the shock cord in the first roll, then add the parachute to complete the wrap as long as if I have enough room to fully cover the chute. This way the chute would be 'released' from the wrap first and be pulled away from the shock cord as it inflates. Does this sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions/input?

loose the underwear strap and pick up some onebadhawk kevlar, then you don't have to worry about it.

You can boil a mixture of water and Borax to help protect the nylon shock cord
from catching fire. It works! Borax, cleaning solution!

JP

You can boil a mixture of water and Borax to help protect the nylon shock cord
from catching fire. It works! Borax, cleaning solution!

JP

Now that's really cool JP...
I'm pretty sure Borax is what they use to make
the building insulation that we use as dog barf.....

That's really a cool idea...

Teddy

Latest posts

Back