Recovery Harness Attachment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2-loop vs. 3-loop revovery harness on main parachute

• 2-loop harness

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 3-loop harness

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I am designing my L3 rocket and am looking for input on the recovery harness attachment.

Onebadhawk recommends using a 3-loop harness on the drogue and a two loop harness on the payload section with the main parachute attached to the nose cone to avoid tangles.

Rocketman sells recovery packages with 2 3-loop Kevlar harnesses.

I have been using 3-loop harnesses for all recovery purposes (drogue and main) for the last two years.

So, what is everyone's opinion on 2-loop vs. 3-loop harnesses for the main?

Finally, most guidelines for the length of the recovery harnesses is 3-5x the length of the rocket, but I have never seen a breakout at to how the drogue and main harnesses should be sized given a RDD setup. Is it by the respective lengths of the payload (main) and motor (drogue) sections? (Yes, longer is better, for a price.) Feedback on your experience appreciated.

I've always used a 3 loop on both apogee and main on my DD rockets. The only ones that don't are my L3 birds. I use a 3 loop for apogee, but just an end to end on the main and then do a "semi-free bag". There I use a 3 point between the nose cone, pilot chute, and d-bag. I then use a small line about 100-150 ft long between the d-bag and the top of the main chute. The pilot is sized to bring the nose cone down slightly slower than the main drops the rocket and the small line keeps them connected and the slower decent rate keeps the pilot and nose cone above the main so everything lands together.

Latest posts

Back