Avionics bay with recessed attachment points?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raketenolli

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on building a sport scale AS34 Kormoran which, being a guided missile, has its fins extending pretty far forward, and I would like to build them TTW along their full length for strength. This leaves me with relatively little space for a dual deployment setup. A classic avbay setup with a 2 x diameter length coupler and two bulkheads on either end would be very tight.
kormoran-classic-ebay.png
But since the rocket is 4" in diameter I'm pretty confident I'd be able to have the avionics sit in a short compartment in the middle of the coupler and still be able to attach the recovery harness. That way shock cords, chute protectors, chutes etc. could use most of the space inside the coupler.
kormoran-recessed-ebay.png
The black dotted rectangle represents the avionics and the red parachute rectangles show the space available for each harness. Of course I could move the coupler/avbay aft to have more space for the main (front) and less for the drogue (aft) parachute which could then use motor backup.

I'm not quite sure what you would call this setup, so I couldn't find any examples except for one (or a half?) in the "Avionics Bay Thread", but I didn't see any complaints there. So my question: does anybody have any experience with this setup? What are your thoughts?

Oliver

Sounds like a good idea. You could also consider HED.

It doesn't look like your motor mount extends all the way up between the forward fins; could you use a 3" tube there for TTW, glued to the fins and the forward bulkhead and presumably with its own fore centering ring? You could then use that for chute stuffing room if your motor isn't too long.

Latest posts

Back