Sky Fieri - insufficient space for recovery system?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not a dual deploy rocket, or are you trying to make it that way?
This seems like the coupler should be glued in to attach the booster tube to the payload tube and the eye bolt and/or bulkhead should go on the base of the nose cone.

I don't have the instructions on this, but I'm not surprised you might be short of space if they tell you to put the bulkhead on the coupler. I've found that lots of kits tend to be short of space for recovery. I think the manufactures want to save a few pennies on BTs.

This is not a dual deploy rocket, or are you trying to make it that way?
This seems like the coupler should be glued in to attach the booster tube to the payload tube and the eye bolt and/or bulkhead should go on the base of the nose cone.

I don't have the instructions on this, but I'm not surprised you might be short of space if they tell you to put the bulkhead on the coupler. I've found that lots of kits tend to be short of space for recovery. I think the manufactures want to save a few pennies on BTs.
Handeman - I am not aware it is DD nor am I trying to make it one. Being relatively new to MPR/HPR I was merely trying to follow the build instructions. The only deviation I made was to attach the coupler and NC to the payload tube with nylon rivets in case I wanted to install an altimeter, GPS tracker, etc. at some point in the future.

You have given me another option to think about, thank you. I could cut the bulkhead and eye bolt off the coupler and use the coupler to glue both tubes together as you suggested, and attach the recovery system to the NC. Again, some shop time but no expense. The down side is I would loose my payload space. I don't have definite plans for it, but it is nice to have the option.

Thanks,
Dave

Handeman - I am not aware it is DD nor am I trying to make it one. Being relatively new to MPR/HPR I was merely trying to follow the build instructions. The only deviation I made was to attach the coupler and NC to the payload tube with nylon rivets in case I wanted to install an altimeter, GPS tracker, etc. at some point in the future.

You have given me another option to think about, thank you. I could cut the bulkhead and eye bolt off the coupler and use the coupler to glue both tubes together as you suggested, and attach the recovery system to the NC. Again, some shop time but no expense. The down side is I would loose my payload space. I don't have definite plans for it, but it is nice to have the option.

Thanks,
Dave
If you want an altimeter or tracker, you can make a space in the nose cone for those, or use an altitude only type altimeter attached to the shock cord. You can also put and altimeter or GPS in a small tube attached to the shock cord. Lots of options.

I thought I'd provide an update to close out this thread. I contacted LOC about this. The Sky Fieri was designed by the Hot Nozzle Society, and LOC also got me in contact with a representative of the HNS. The kit from LOC is correct, the rocket is supposed to have a 20" booster tube and a 14" payload tube, but the paperwork was wrong. There was an error in the design file and the drawing dimensions were incorrect, as was the parts in the photo in the instructions.. These are being corrected. I was also told that packing the recovery gear is indeed a very tight fit, and it was recommended to use the chute packing method found on the Fruity Chutes website.

Thanks to all the input I received here I have options for gaining a bit more room to pack the recovery gear. I appreciate the information.

Thanks,
Dave

There was an error in the design file and the drawing dimensions were incorrect, as was the parts in the photo in the instructions..

Three consistent errors in the design and documentation vs. one error on the table saw. Hmmm.

Anyway, hopefully your construction mods work out for you. You are probably the first person to actually assemble the kit as packaged.

Anyway, hopefully your construction mods work out for you. You are probably the first person to actually assemble the kit as packaged.
Thanks. I cut off the end of the coupler with the bulkhead yesterday, removed the cardboard ring and sanded down the bulkhead to fit, and then remounted it 3" up in the coupler. I lost 3/8" of the coupler that fits in the booster tube but I don't think that will be a problem. ?? Meanwhile I gained 3" of space for the recover gear, which should be plenty.

According to the person from the HNS I corresponded with, many people have built the Sky Fieri and some have used it to get their L1 certification. I was hoping others on this forum would share their experience with building it but discussion along those lines have been pretty quiet.

This thread is a testament to dry fit stuff together to be sure it'll work out before making the glue commitment.

Back