• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

painting balsa

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czc587

Reaction score
I am just finishing up on a rocket which has balsa fins. I primed them and sanded then a couple of times then sanded a bit again and painted with my white gloss. The fins do not look smooth as I was hoping. Is there a trick to getting these to look as smooth as the painted body ?

A filler is used to level the surface, I've used Red Devil Ultra Light spackeling for years. It thins with water and is exactly the same stuff sold for much more in the hobby stores. To use it I thin it to a paint-like consistancy, put it on with a brush, let dry and sand. Repeat as nesissary. It sands very easy.

Other possibilities are model aircraft balsa filler found in the paint section of the hobby store. Pactra is a brand name that comes to mind.

Back