own design 10k feet panorama video rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niels popping

Reaction score
I'm starting a new project.

I want to launch 8 digital cameras, to make a 360 view of the launch to 10.000 feet.
I'm using a small camera with VGA resolution( cost 30$ )
207873_BB_01_FB.EPS.jpg

I'm starting to build this rocket in the fall this year.
but is the plastic nose cone 3.9 inch from PML ready to go subsonic.
otherwise I make my own nose cone from wood with fiberglass.

I made this design look like a cool sounding rocket, with all the transitions and stuff, hope you like it.

Rocksim file:
https://daig.co.uk/360 rocket.rkt

this is the design, including the colors.
what do you think about it,
Own%20design%203km%20sounding%20360%20viewcamera%202sssmeter%20%282%29.jpg

Going by the flight sim you did with the K250; you want to keep the rocket light, otherwise it will weather cock & you won't be able to attain 10k.
It takes a bit of punch to get there; I used an L ( 4,000Ns worth of home brew propellant) to get a 23lb x 4" PR Competitor to almost 12k.

Rocksim is notorious for coming up light with final weights. I had my 4" that weighed 13lbs loaded, hit 6-8,000ft on a good sized K (1925 Ns or so).

I know that you want to prevent the rocket from rolling too much to get some good video, but with those fins will also add allot of drag.

Fin alignment helps allot when trying to keep the rocket straight.
Another thing to think of: The K 250 is a moon burner which may actually want to make your rocket roll or even cone. due to it's off center burning surface.

I hope this helps...

JD

I'm gone redesign the fin for a more stable flight, so it wont be roll.
also I thinking of placing a extra Gyroscope to keep it straight from rolling.

I think of using a L1500 instead of the K250
but I need to wait for the design of the fins until I'm back from vacation.
and thats about 2 weeks.

The L1500 as entered in Rocksim no longer exists.

The CTI L935 is probably your best bet.

Do you have a link for the camera? What is each camera's (with power source) weight?
I've done some onboard video myself, so i am always curious what others are flying.

Not certain about the 3.9" nose cone breaking mach. I would guess if the nose cone is filled with 2 part expanding foam, the nose cone would be fine through mach. Might be fine without expanding foam as well.

Removing the upper fins and transitions might help achieve less roll. Keep in mind, i'm not experienced with transitions, so i could be wrong about the transitions.

Will the cameras face outward or downward? Downward facing cameras are less affected by roll, than outward facing cameras.

My Best Tip: make a payload bay for the cameras where the camera payload bay can be moved from one rocket to another. That way if one rocket has alot of roll, you can move the payload tube to different rocket with less roll.
4509632953_8833853068_b.jpg

4449805854_7f3cac86ce_b.jpg

If you like transitions, you could build removable transitions into/out of the payload bay. That way you could switch a 4" payload to any 4" rocket, and if you add a removable 4" to 3" transition to the 4" payload tube, you could then switch the 4" payload tube to a 3" rocket as well.

I look forward to seeing results from this project,

Bob

Don't they make a 2 grain 98mm L 1500?

I believe the 54mm L 1500 that he was using in his Rocksim, was a single use motor back in the late 80's early 90's.

JD

The L1500 as entered in Rocksim no longer exists.

The CTI L935 is probably your best bet.

Don't they make a 2 grain 98mm L 1500?

I believe the 54mm L 1500 that he was using in his Rocksim, was a single use motor back in the late 80's early 90's.

JD

That's correct - I'm assuming that this rocket doesn't have a 98mm mount (the current L1500 is a 2 grain Blue Thunder AT 98mm). Rocksim has the old L1500, which I believe was a 54mm single use back in the 90s.

Back