Our new rocket trailer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrightme43

It's much later than it seems.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We got our first trailer.
The last launch in Elizabethtown, my 3 year son, looked at me and said. "I have to poop, Dad!"
So we have to take down and move table, chairs, cooler, rockets, engine box, load everything up and drive to the gas station. Once inside he says "I was just joking."

He is three and I can't sell him to the circus.

So we drive back, then he poops between the trucks and we have to clean that up. My wife was not amused. Sooooo, I was able to convince her that we could use a trailer, and put a potty in it for her, and the girls, and boy. And haul or rockets, and disconnect if we need to go somewhere. We can also use it for camping, and maybe we can go to GRITS this fall near her Grandparents.

Long story short I sold my wife a trailer, and I get to pay for it.

Attachments

• 20240502_160440.jpg
    20240502_160440.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240502_160500.jpg
    20240502_160500.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240502_160506.jpg
    20240502_160506.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240502_194404.jpg
    20240502_194404.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240502_194422.jpg
    20240502_194422.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240502_194448.jpg
    20240502_194448.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240502_194526.jpg
    20240502_194526.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Lol, that story hits too close to home...

Last Sat, we had to leave the local launch after only an hour and a half cause my two youngest kids had to use the bathroom... when I got home, I immediately bought a potty top for a 5 gallon bucket, and some disposable liners....

I have a flatbed trailer, but no room in the garage for a small camper trailer.. but I have been looking at them, I would just have to pay to park it when not in use.. that adds up over time.

About 12 years ago we bought a small enclosed trailer for our business. But the rocketry hobbyist in me quickly realized how nice it is to have one - especially if you fly larger rockets. Before we got the trailer, I used to spend lots of time loading up the van or SUV the night before launch and unloading it after the launch. Now, almost everything stays in the trailer. And I am more likely to have things I need when my "range box" is a trailer.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/build-230623224339.html

The last launch in Elizabethtown, my 3 year son, looked at me and said. "I have to poop, Dad!"
So we have to take down and move table, chairs, cooler, rockets, engine box, load everything up and drive to the gas station. Once inside he says "I was just joking."

So we drive back, then he poops between the trucks and we have to clean that up. My wife was not amused. Sooooo, I was able to convince her that we could use a trailer, and put a potty in it for her, and the girls, and boy. And haul or rockets, and disconnect if we need to go somewhere. We can also use it for camping, and maybe we can go to GRITS this fall near her Grandparents.

That's really nice, and I love the graphics, butt.... I don't see the porta-john in there yet! 😂

That's really nice, and I love the graphics, butt.... I don't see the porta-john in there yet! 😂
At the very front is a blue 5 gallon bucket toilet with seat and lid, it has heavy doody bags with gel powder thickener about 35 bucks on amazon. The fold out, and then zip-lock closed.
There is a a green porta popup changing/restroom shelter up there as well about 20 bucks on amazon.
It really wasn't needed, since I didn't think about just using the trailer as the shelter.
I tested it at the 1st Olmstead launch of MC2 and it works great. No more floating kidneys. The lack of bathrooms was my wife's main disappointment, and
now that is solved.

Nice.

I am looking at one of these things for the exact same reason.

View attachment 643499
The bonus is in addition to an actual bathroom inside, it has an outdoor kitchen.
Those SunRay 139's are nice little trailers for the money, you can easily put an e-bike in one too for recoveries. I looked at one a few years ago when I had the XTerra... which realistically couldn't pull it. AFTER I got a Nobo 10.6 trailer (no toilet...) I got rid of the XTerra and got a Tacoma. Wish I had done that first, I probably would have bought the SunRay.

My wife bought me a used trailer for rockets years ago when money was easier to come by. It has been great and we did use it quite a bit for a few years. Never thought of a portable relief station, as the launch sites we attend have well maintained porta-johns, but I could see the value. Regretfully, I don't think the trailer has been off our property in quite a few years. I haven't been going to many launches and the few I do attend, I usually just throw a few LPR/MPR's in the back of the truck and go. I don't hate pulling trailers, but in general, I'm not that big of a fan.

I bought a small motorhome for my business and am amazed at how livable it is. Not sure if you go to many far away launches, but with a few tweaks, maybe you could stay in state park campgrounds vs. hotels. I can say for sure, one of the biggest missed opportunities I've had has been waiting this long to get some form of RV. It is a different experience than I've ever had and has helped me to get to places I would have never gone.

But, either way, sweet on the rocket trailer! How did you bribe your son to poop between the trucks? Sounds like money well spent!

I like it.

Suggest aero mods for the trailers for when gas actually costs money again, although in some cases I think a low trailer won't increase gas consumption on level roads. Not without a significant crosswind, anyway.

Those SunRay 139's are nice little trailers for the money, you can easily put an e-bike in one too for recoveries. I looked at one a few years ago when I had the XTerra... which realistically couldn't pull it. AFTER I got a Nobo 10.6 trailer (no toilet...) I got rid of the XTerra and got a Tacoma. Wish I had done that first, I probably would have bought the SunRay.
We were looking at the NoBo but the SunRay hits our sweet spots. Especially the door on the back that I plan on using for my wife who is unfortunately in a wheelchair now.

Last Sat, we had to leave the local launch after only an hour and a half cause my two youngest kids had to use the bathroom... when I got home, I immediately bought a potty top for a 5 gallon bucket, and some disposable liners....

I have a flatbed trailer, but no room in the garage for a small camper trailer.. but I have been looking at them, I would just have to pay to park it when not in use.. that adds up over time.
Does the camper have to live inside? Can you make an enclosure to carry on the flatbed?

I remember when the typical "camper" was something that sat in your pickup, with part that overhung the cab. They had legs or something so that you could support the camper and drive the truck out from under. No tricky backing up, as long as you remembered the increased height and didn't get jammed under a bridge or something.

Suggest aero mods for the trailers for when gas actually costs money again, although in some cases I think a low trailer won't increase gas consumption on level roads. Not without a significant crosswind, anyway.
I have a stick shift 6spd v6 tacoma. I have OVtuning software and toyota Techstream software as well. It allows me to swap tune maps even to the point of requiring premium fuel. I have it tuned for regular fuel, it avgs 18.3 mpg on my work route or 21.6 on freeway trips. It drops down to 15.8 with the trailer on. I do lower avg speed, with the trailer on, to save fuel. I drove it back and forth to work for a week and to Olmstead launch. I am super happy with it. It is a covered wagon brand.

I bought a 6x12 v-nose wells cargo almost 20 years ago for giant scale RC airplanes. I have used that thing so much over the years (airplanes, rockets, moving, dirtbikes/quads with minimal maintenance. It’s setup for airplanes and rockets these days but quickly swaps to whatever I need it to.

Ya all just need to come out and fly at BattlePark. We rent a porta-potty that's onsite for the season. It was stolen twice this year, yes! people steal porta-potties, but there is a gun club a couple hundred yards up the road and they have 4 porta-pottys we can use in emergencies. So even if ours blows over, there are still some you can use not too far away.

Not sure if you go to many far away launches, but with a few tweaks, maybe you could stay in state park campgrounds vs. hotels.
My brother was a full-time RV-er for some years. His free campgrounds were Walmart parking lots. Depended on local laws, but where permissible, it seems Walmart figures RV-ers will spend in the store in the morning enough to be worth letting them sit in the parking lot overnight when they're usually in the way of no one.

Black water dumps were his biggest problem. Cabela's and others had free dump stations.
so may trailers for rent or sale.
You reversed it I believe, but I'll play anyway:

Rooms to let, fifty cents. :D

On the dry lake there is no where to go. Even when you drive off the bed there is only low scrub. We only have Port-a-Potties for our three day events. During those sometimes my wife might20240504_233746[4747].jpg20240504_233746[4747].jpg come along. She refuses to use the Port-a-Potty. The step up is too high for her. My solution was a Wolfwise set up from Amazon. This is what it looks like. It sets up in a minute. Same thing as mentioned above. Large plastic bag liner in the bottom bucket with gel powder. It has a seat and and lid and the frame is heavy duty. In the green bag is an instant pop up. Just take it out of the bag and toss it. The closest bathroom is a half hour away. If it's number one I just drive to the edge of the lake bed. If it's number two it's going to be unpleasant at best. This set up has saved me a few times.

We bought an RV not too long ago and so far have used it for just one trip to a remote rocket launch. We stayed at a KOA not too far from the launch site. Even figuring in the cost of using more gas (we get about 12 mpg with the RV pulling our trailer compared to about 18 that we got with our SUV) we saved about $150 over what staying at a hotel would have cost. So we just need to make about 500 more trips like that and the RV will have paid for itself!

A funny thing is that what I have found nicest about the RV at a launch isn't having air conditioning or a bathroom and kitchen, but the fact that we can extend our sunshade and retract it by pressing a button. Talk about an "easy up" tent. I guess you could add a fold-out awning to an enclosed trailer. Hmmm .....

Here was my meager setup at the time , this was 2007. I upgraded the inside of the trailer and could sleep in it and did at Airfest a few times. No place to store it without huge fees or damaging yard so I sold it.

When Traveling like thru Kansas, I did have the 5g bucket with the snap on toilet seat with special trashbags/chemicals as all the gas stations on the Flint Hills Hwy were ghost towned. Kept it in the trailer by the door when on the road, so you could hop out and get in close the door and go. Reminder, don't eat a free muffin at the hotel before getting on the road again.

1714916383342.jpeg

Last edited:

Ever since our first launch, we bring our 5 gallon bucket, toilet paper, and lots of trash bags.
Easy with the boy, but the girl has had to use it enough to make it worth not walking to the porta-potty when we’re not close.

Gotta be done!

Steve: now you need to go to Lowe's and get a gallon of for paint for flooring that has the textured finish to it and paint the floor, That will look really good.

Back