Bike Trailer for the Club Launches - Thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
Our club launch setup area is a fair hike from the parking lot. To get our gear from the parking lot to the site we can use the club’s golf cart/trailer or some people even have their own 4 wheeler/small trailer they will bring. I like being independent and I to would like my own transport setup.

My daughter gave me her kid-hauler bike trailer that the grandkids don’t need anymore and I think I can make that work.

I have two main requirements. The trailer must:
  1. Remain as light weight as possible so I can easily load/unload it by myself.
  2. Fit all of my gear for transport (including rockets) in one trip.
I’m looking for ideas and pics from those who have done something similar and I didn’t see anything in a search of the forums, so if there is thread already please point me to that.

Phase 1
I stripped all of the canvas seating area off the bike trailer and got it down to the bare frame and axle. I did a quick experiment and threw my biggest items on the trailer frame it to see if they would fit (and they will). My 2x4 table, canopy, bag chair, and range box are the largest/heaviest items I have. I can see I still have room for a small cooler (lunch, water, etc.) and room to transport the rockets as well.

The table doesn’t quite fit the width (it‘s about a half inch too wide to fit inside the side posts so I will have to build a very light weight frame it can sit on top off and get it above the side pegs on the frame or just cut them off with a cutting wheel. I’m thinking the 2x4 table will serve as the deck of the trailer. I’ll need front, rear, and side stake rack posts to keep things from sliding around, and a box, rack, or some other method for storing low to high power rockets (L1 and small L2 sized).

Again, nothing is built yet - I just threw the stuff in place to get some ideas going and see if it would all fit.

Do you have any pics or thoughts to share?

Attachments

• 10AD2F8C-6207-46A2-9B07-1D70477E726A.jpeg
    10AD2F8C-6207-46A2-9B07-1D70477E726A.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1CC20420-8D3B-46C4-BAE1-1B3A64F82DEE.jpeg
    1CC20420-8D3B-46C4-BAE1-1B3A64F82DEE.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 0
Back