Not a Normal Tool Organizer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was working with some PVC tubing on a project for my wife when the demon of stupid sat on my shoulder and said, “hey you could use some of your scrap PVC tubing to make an organizer for your tools and stuff.” The second mistake was agreeing. So off I went. I gathered up my 1/2”, 1”,2”, and a 4” coupler and threw them together to make an organizer. The short ones are cut 4” tall, taller ones are 6”, and there are two 1/2” pipes I made 8” tall that tower above the rest. Also, there is a single piece of 2” PVC on the side that is only 2” tall—made it to put pencil sharpeners.

The goal was to create a myriad of widths and heights to stuff my supplies and tools someplace. I thought about some of my tools as I put it together, making sure tall ones had a place that would support them, and small things could be reached in shorter tubes. I arranged them all, then carefully took sections apart and used PVC cement to glue them each place they touched each other. When finished, it became a solid block.

I knew I needed some hangers for things like Estes tubing cutter guides, my small cutting mat, masking tapes, paper clip full of sanding sheets and the like. To add hangers, I cut some 1/2”x 1/2” square dowels I had. Cut them 4” long, then sanded the back to shape and glued them on the side of PVC pipe with medium CA. Once they set, I drilled a 1/8” hole in them so I could insert a 1/8” metal rod. I can bend the rods to make the hangers any height or length I choose. They can be removed and moved around. I put 7 of these dowels with holes around the organizer.

The base of the organizer is 1/4” luan board. I laid the organizer on the sheet, traced around it with a pencil and started cutting with a jigsaw. Base doesn’t have to be a perfect fit-it can hang over a little and be fine. Base was glued to the PVC pieces using medium CA. The handle is a piece of rope, glued into two pockets between tubes on opposite sides of the 4” coupler in the center. I poured epoxy in the pocket, stuffed in the rope then added more epoxy.

Attachments

• 1-Before paint-side.jpeg
    1-Before paint-side.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-Before paint-top view.jpeg
    2-Before paint-top view.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-Before paint-top2.jpeg
    3-Before paint-top2.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-base cutout.jpeg
    4-base cutout.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5-Bottom-drill holes.jpeg
    5-Bottom-drill holes.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 7-After paint-top.jpeg
    7-After paint-top.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8-After paint.jpeg
    8-After paint.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 9-Tools Added.jpeg
    9-Tools Added.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I should say that this organizer is really not geared for serious high power stuff. I do everything from MMX to high power, but I mostly do high power in the garage, and I do MMX and model rocketry in the house. I use an organizer to take most of my stuff over to a table to work, then I remove it. If you don’t have a permanent work area to call your own, this approach might be for you. I got most of the stuff I use frequently in here.

Well, I really needed one more shallow cup. So, I could get it by gluing on another cup (with its own bottom), or…. maybe I could add something above the organizer. Yeah! If I made something that sits over it, but is removable, that permits the creation of more storage areas without adding to the organizer itself. I will use the pockets between PVC pieces to insert a wooden rod. Glue a pipe on the side of the new cup, add a wooden bottom and you have new, removable storage. I decided to make a 3” PVC cup to hold my wood glue and CA bottles. That also frees up a shallow cup in the organizer. Since glue is one of the most frequent items I use, putting it all in a cup that comes off the organizer is a handy addition.

I found a spot where a 3/8” dowel fits nicely. The pipe added to the cup is a piece of aluminum tubing I already had from the past (used them to make launch lugs for 3/8” rods back before rail guides). I made a cap for the pipe by cutting slits in the pipe, bending them over and tapping them down against the dowel rod to form a nice top cap. I’ll cut the dowel rod shorter, so it doesn’t interfere with the rope handle. The nice thing about this approach is that I can extend my organizer with new cups as I need them.

Attachments

• 10b-Glue Cup.jpeg
    10b-Glue Cup.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 10a-Glue Cup.jpeg
    10a-Glue Cup.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 11-Organizer with Glue Cap.jpeg
    11-Organizer with Glue Cap.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 0
I should say I had a caddy I got at Walmart for carrying supplies. I had adapted it as best I could, but It had lots of things stuffed in it. It was OK, but when I thought about using PVC to create separate compartments for items, I decided to go for it. I knew I would need various widths and heights. I also knew I would need a couple of shallow cups for sharpeners, CA tip extenders, extra knife blades.

If I had it to do again, instead of cutting tubes at 4" and 6”, I would do 3” and 5”. I would also add 3 cups 2” tall on it somewhere as well. The hangers are a great add, because you can make them from 1/8” rod (brass rods from local welding shop are great) and they are easy to form to any shape. Also, they can swing out of the way.

That is how you just a rocketeer not by how many rockets they have but by their sandpaper collection.

Ps I’m definitely not saying that because I have more sandpaper than rockets…
You say that like it's a bad thing. Without sandpaper, there are no rockets. At least not any you want other people to see. :)

I'm building little rockets on the kitchen table with the grandkids, and the last two days I have been collecting PVC bits to do exactly the same thing! I'm so tired of trying to find Xacto, pencil, glue syringes, etc., amongst all the stuff on the table with 3 rockets going at the same time. A little organization would go a long way :) I love the way you cut out the bottom for the whole lot and will now do the same. Also love the sanding sticks. I have been wrapping dowels and just holding the paper on by hand. Would love to see a post on how you made yours.

I'm building little rockets on the kitchen table with the grandkids, and the last two days I have been collecting PVC bits to do exactly the same thing! I'm so tired of trying to find Xacto, pencil, glue syringes, etc., amongst all the stuff on the table with 3 rockets going at the same time. A little organization would go a long way :) I love the way you cut out the bottom for the whole lot and will now do the same. Also love the sanding sticks. I have been wrapping dowels and just holding the paper on by hand. Would love to see a post on how you made yours.
I'll let Mark talk about how he makes his... but as for me, it's simply sandpaper CAed to a wooden dowel. Getting the paper to stick around the smaller dowels can be a bit of a hassle but eventually it should work, and once affixed in that manner lasts basically forever. I should probably make some new ones, the paper on my existing ones is getting a bit worn. I might experiment with different adhesives next time, but CA definitely works.

@ep29030, what do you use to glue the paper to the dowel (yes we're of course going to turn this into a glue thread :))

Thanks Neil. I read the thread you referenced above, and either you or somebody else mentioned using the 3M Super 77 spray. I picked up a new can last week, so I may give that a try, instead of gluing my fingers to dowels and sandpaper! No, I am not turning this into a glue thread. You did :)

No, I am not turning this into a glue thread. You did :)
Really, the phrase “turning this into a glue thread” is misleading, because it implies that it was not previously a glue thread.

*All* threads are glue threads, whether or not it is apparent from the start.

Last edited:
Hint: use 3-M spray adhesive 90 on back of sandpaper and area of dowel rod. Don’t cut sandpaper too long- a gap of bare wood is better than overlap. Let adhesive dry 2-3 minutes then apply sandpaper to dowel. Then wrap with wide masking tape to hold it down. Tape can be removed after 30 minutes. Done.

Back