Open Rocket & Roc Sim Sticky Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Just to be clear: My comment was that if someone is interested in writing documentation, they could look if they'd rather help make the User's Guide better. That said, I do realize the desire for some step-by-step tutorials in addition to a textual guide.

You'll be interested to hear that there's been some work by a volunteer on creating an integrated guided tour within OR. The idea is to have "slides" each with a screenshot image (possibly with circles/arrows pointing to the relevant parts) plus a few lines of text explaining the step. The tours would go through some basic functionality of the software.

The guide by jpummil looks like a great starting point for creating those guided tours. For those tours, I think it would be better to have multiple short tours with references to each other (e.g. creating a new rocket, defining motors, simulating, analyzing results etc), rather than a single long one.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Last edited:
Really strange! I tried it again from home to rule out a possible issue with the campus firewall, but it came up fine from here too! Perhaps try right clicking the link and doing a "save as"?

Comes up fine for me, too.

Nicely done, BTW.

Anyone care to step up to the task and benefit others?

I noticed something that isn't immediately obvious when selecting motors.

When adding motors, and after selecting 'New Configuration', then a new line will open. Click on the RIGHT side of the new line, on the 'None' tab, then you can select the motor that you want. If we click on the left side of the new line, nothing happens.

Mr. Pummils excellent .pdf file shows a picture of that on page 16, but it isn't explained.

Sometimes the little things, aren't little. :)

I hope this helps anyone that searches for this in the future.

Hi Jeff!
Thanks for taking the time to do the manual.
You've certainly done the rocketry community a great service.

Here's a link to some Open Rocket steps I made on my blog.
I'm sure these have been covered in your manual, but I did have some problems inputting the engines.

To navigate these problems go to:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-version-of-open-rocket114.html

I noticed something that isn't immediately obvious when selecting motors.

When adding motors, and after selecting 'New Configuration', then a new line will open. Click on the RIGHT side of the new line, on the 'None' tab, then you can select the motor that you want. If we click on the left side of the new line, nothing happens.

Mr. Pummils excellent .pdf file shows a picture of that on page 16, but it isn't explained.

Sometimes the little things, aren't little. :)

I hope this helps anyone that searches for this in the future.

That's some really good "need to know" information.

Last edited:
There are only two kinds of people in the world; those who relish discovering the world with a "what would happen if" attitude and those who need to have everything explained to them in excruciating detail for fear of making a mistake.

I've always wanted to believe that those who play with model rockets are the former. What a disappointment.

Strange. I think the former are not desirable at all. Nor are the latter. The former were blowing their hands off with "what if" concoctions long ago. The latter will never have any enjoyment of the hobby and should turn pro :)

Like most things the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle. Innovation but with prudent precaution.

Now to the posters actual suggestions. I see no reason why a sticky thread of tips tricks and tutorials is anything other than a good idea. Is not TRF a place to share information? I certainly could try to contribute.

A simulation program is exactly the right place for the former to flourish. What, exactly, is your concern with unbridled curiosity?

Strange. I think the former are not desirable at all. Nor are the latter. The former were blowing their hands off with "what if" concoctions long ago. The latter will never have any enjoyment of the hobby and should turn pro :)

Like most things the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle. Innovation but with prudent precaution.

Now to the posters actual suggestions. I see no reason why a sticky thread of tips tricks and tutorials is anything other than a good idea. Is not TRF a place to share information? I certainly could try to contribute.

When putting dimensions into the configuration boxes, such as nose cone, body tube and centering rings, there is a small check box for 'automatic'.

What is automaticly done if this box is selected?

Jeff,
I agree with you whole heartedly. I am fairly new to TRF, but it seems to me that it was meant partially for sharing ideas and knowledge of the sport, not to belittle someone's lack of knowledge.
John

Hi,

When putting dimensions into the configuration boxes, such as nose cone, body tube and centering rings, there is a small check box for 'automatic'.

What is automaticly done if this box is selected?

It automatically computes the parameter it is attached to (right above it). For example if you define the base diameter of your nose cone, you can automatically set the diameter of the body tubes. Later if you change the nose cone diameter the tubes will change accordingly.

Similarly you can autocalculate the necessary dimensions for centering rings / bulkheads.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Hi,

It automatically computes the parameter it is attached to (right above it). For example if you define the base diameter of your nose cone, you can automatically set the diameter of the body tubes. Later if you change the nose cone diameter the tubes will change accordingly.

Similarly you can autocalculate the necessary dimensions for centering rings / bulkheads.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Well, there ya go! That's a feature that will come in handy. Thank you for your reply.

Well lets put my typing where my mouth is.

Disclaimer: This is just based on MY experience. YMMV.

Tip 1:
SAVE OFTEN - ESPECIALLY BEFORE YOU DELETE SOMETHING!!! Folks I been using ROCKSIM since version 4 or 5 (maybe earlier). I've run it on a PC under Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OS-X. I will crash the program once per session. Without a doubt. No ifs, ands, or buts.:y: I GARR-RUN-TEE it. If using the Mac version, I'll put money on it! The Windows versions crash with some regularity, but it is far more stable than the Mac version. So I run ROCKSIM under Parallels + Windows 7 on my iMac - (I love my iMac!)

When I get in a groove it's: Change, Save, Change, Save. Or Add, save, add, save... On a new rocket/file, save the sucker right away so you can just keep hitting the save icon in the toolbar after that. The moment you decide to cut or delete anything, STOP! :no::no::no::no::no: Save. Now delete.

I enjoy using ROCKSIM. I trust it for CP calcs. Simulations are a bit of a mystery to me even after all this time, so hopefully I get some advice here.

ROCKSIM's worked for me and is well worth the money IMO*. Look at all the BARCLONE designs made with it! Those people really got creative with it! I do wish it was more stable. And yes, if it was written in Java like OpenRoc I'd long ago have volunteered to find and fix the crashes.

*Of course I am a Software Architect by trade.

Last edited:
Tip #2
You'd be surprised how I often I've opened a design and it's still on Barrowman calculations. I always switch to ROCKSIM. And the CP tends to move aft.

Just my experience on that.

Tip #3
Don't forget that button "More" next to the rocket name. I always appreciate notes there about your motivations, gotchas, materials, tips, etc. What I don't find very useful (but what the hey, its your design), is quotes from ancient fairy tales.

Tip #4
You did know the + and - keys zoom in and out the 2D drawing? There is also a right mouse button menu there.

Tip #5
Almost every dialog box that shows the rocket's picture in the box can be size. So if it's not clear, or too small, drag the corners of the dialog box and the 2D or 3D drawing will grow.

Try this: Move your cursor slowly from the top area of a dialog box, where you input data, to the drawing area. At some point in the split gray area, the cursor will turn into two horizontal lines. You can drag the mouse up and get more vertical room in the diagram.

Tip #6

ROCKSIM will automagically calculate the inner and outer dimensions of your centering rings. Just add the centering ring, click Automatically Calculate Known Values, and then slide the ring to a location where it in overlapping the tube being centered.

Note: For this to work right with 'Inside Tubes' like Motor Mount Tubes make sure the centering ring is a 'child' of the larger tube (normally the body tube).

Last edited:

ROCKSIM Tip #7
Although I have a lot of questions on how the simulations really are working, one thing I've seen over time is I tend to get a lot better predictions of altitude if I set all my finishes to Matte. The default is Polished. That might be saying more about my finishing skills than anything else. :lol::wink: But to be honest, I think it's idea of a surface is perfect, and mine rarely are.

Last edited:
ROCKSIM Tip #8

Don't forget you can sort the engine selection dialog box by the headings. I find it useful to sort by total impulse when simulating rockets with 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm MMTs as there are so many choices.

Last edited:
A simulation program is exactly the right place for the former to flourish. What, exactly, is your concern with unbridled curiosity?

Absolutely! If that's what you meant, mis-read it and I agree wholeheartedly. Though I still have no issues with a Sticky "Tips and Tricks" thread. :wink::D

I was talking about something different that I will simply drop.

So I'll simply say "Yes, sims are where curiosity and what-ifs should flourish."

Well lets put my typing where my mouth is.

Disclaimer: This is just based on MY experience. YMMV.

I am sure your tips will become very useful after using the program for awhile. Thanks for sharing.

I was using the 'Freeform fin set configuration'. When choosing material for the fins in 'Component material' I couldn't find Basswood.

The woods found are:

Balsa
Birch
Maple
Pine
Ply wood &
Spruce

Which of these is a close match in weight for Basswood?

Basswood is commonly used in place of balsa. I wonder why it's not listed?

Last edited:
That's a good chart to have around. Glad you brought it to our attention.

I found Bassword in the MATERIALS.CSV file in my ROCKSIM 9 installation in \Program Files\Rocksim 9\DataImport

And it is in my drop down list of materials for Custom Fins. Are you sure you are scrolling through the list? (Please forgive me if that sounds bad.)

Tip #9
Don't forget Cut and Paste do exist and do work! You can for example Copy a Centering Ring, select the Parent Tube again, and Paste the copy. Voila! Now double click the copy and edit it's name, location, etc.

I am not sure the Control-C, Control-V (Command on the Mac) shortcuts work. But the right click menu and Menu bar Edit menu do. Don't forget you have to select the Parent part to Paste.

Tip #10

Does the 3D mode drive you nuts trying to position the rocket?:blush::confused: Click the trackball mode icon. To me movement then becomes far more intuitive.

I found Bassword in the MATERIALS.CSV file in my ROCKSIM 9 installation in \Program Files\Rocksim 9\DataImport

And it is in my drop down list of materials for Custom Fins. Are you sure you are scrolling through the list? (Please forgive me if that sounds bad.)

Yes. I'm quite sure I scrolled all the way thru the short list Open Rocket has to offer. :)

But with the chart dasein668 linked,

https://www.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/woods.htm

Basswood & its weight can be added using the 'custom' feature at the bottom of the materials list.

Last edited:

Bassword? :p

Back