problems to look for in open rocket sims?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I do a lot of "what ifs" using various designs in Open Rocket and typically I'll search the internet for a sim file of the rocket I'm interested in, or a similar rocket that I can modify. When using a sim made by someone else what types of things should I look for to verify the accuracy of the file? I fought with one sim file to get it to be stable and then I realized that someone had overridden the CG location. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to be stable with the CG location too far back. When I finally corrected that it worked fine. Besides stability, what types of things could be hidden in a file that would affect the altitude predictions?

I do a lot of "what ifs" using various designs in Open Rocket and typically I'll search the internet for a sim file of the rocket I'm interested in, or a similar rocket that I can modify. When using a sim made by someone else what types of things should I look for to verify the accuracy of the file? I fought with one sim file to get it to be stable and then I realized that someone had overridden the CG location. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to be stable with the CG location too far back. When I finally corrected that it worked fine. Besides stability, what types of things could be hidden in a file that would affect the altitude predictions?

“Ghost” parts with the mass set to any non-zero number can give you unexpected results. I always click through all the components and make sure all the ghost parts are configured correctly.

When using a sim made by someone else what types of things should I look for to verify the accuracy of the file?
"Accuracy" of the file? Accuracy, compared to what?

Downloading someone's Open Rocket file off of the internet, like on Rocket Reviews, the only accuracy I am looking for are major dimensions and fin planform. That's because I'm interested in a rocket design, like wanting to clone an old kit or something. I scrap just about everything else - all the whistles and bells that someone stuck on there.

The accuracy comes in when building MY prototype using an Open Rocket file. I weigh the components as I add them to the model. I build it up weighing as I go - airframe, nose cone, fins, motor mount, etc. I scratch build certain model rockets that way. Only that way do I get an "accurate" model. And my sims carry more meaning than if I was just playing with a model someone else wrote.

Back