NSL 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap. I was seriously thinking that I would attempt to come down for this but I just realized that I have a funeral scheduled for that weekend.

Poop.

It's actually a double funeral. My Aunt Bobbi (Roberta) died last winter. Her kids (my cousins) are spread across the country and two continents. She died suddenly in the winter and the family decided to have a cremation, a small memorial service (in Virginia) and then, when the weather was better they could travel with their 90+ year old father (my uncle Clarence) to Youngstown for a burial in the family plot. I was tentatively scheduled to do the funeral. Their father, already in frail health, did not rebound as expected but got worse. This year he died shortly before Christmas (just about a week after my father, his next younger brother). Again, because the family was so spread out, they were unable to all arrange travel, so they did the same thing, cremation, small memorial, and a planned burial in the family plot.

As of now, we are tentatively planning a funeral for sometime around Memorial Day so that everyone is available to travel and attend. Because my father (Uncle Clarence's brother) was a pastor, that side of the family always appreciated his calling and since I am (now) also an ordained pastor, it would mean a lot to all of them (and me) for me to be able to do the eulogy and the graveside service.

The interesting thing (one of them) about Uncle Clarence is that he had the same job in the Army that I did, unloading ships. But *he* unloaded them in a war zone during WW2. One day in New Guinea, the ship he was unloading was strafed by a Japanese fighter plane. Bullets and shrapnel bounced all over the deck and Clarence was thrown across the deck onto his back. Everyone thought that he was dead. Until he started moving. The shrapnel from the Japanese bullet had struck him square in the chest... and stopped halfway through the New Testament his father had put in his breast pocket before he had left home. Out of respect and as a reminder of his dad (my grandfather) Clarence always kept his Bible in that same pocket. It save his life.

My cousin still has that Bible.

Anyway, as much as I want to come fly rockets, family comes first. Besides, how could I say no to a hero?

And there you have it. Job responsibilities of the clergy, you never knew. Any other questions Thirsty? My older brother was a pastor, and I never knew about this kind of extended burial function. I thought most people kept the ashes.

It's actually a double funeral. My Aunt Bobbi (Roberta) died last winter. Her kids (my cousins) are spread across the country and two continents. She died suddenly in the winter and the family decided to have a cremation, a small memorial service (in Virginia) and then, when the weather was better they could travel with their 90+ year old father (my uncle Clarence) to Youngstown for a burial in the family plot. I was tentatively scheduled to do the funeral. Their father, already in frail health, did not rebound as expected but got worse. This year he died shortly before Christmas (just about a week after my father, his next younger brother). Again, because the family was so spread out, they were unable to all arrange travel, so they did the same thing, cremation, small memorial, and a planned burial in the family plot.

As of now, we are tentatively planning a funeral for sometime around Memorial Day so that everyone is available to travel and attend. Because my father (Uncle Clarence's brother) was a pastor, that side of the family always appreciated his calling and since I am (now) also an ordained pastor, it would mean a lot to all of them (and me) for me to be able to do the eulogy and the graveside service.

The interesting thing (one of them) about Uncle Clarence is that he had the same job in the Army that I did, unloading ships. But *he* unloaded them in a war zone during WW2. One day in New Guinea, the ship he was unloading was strafed by a Japanese fighter plane. Bullets and shrapnel bounced all over the deck and Clarence was thrown across the deck onto his back. Everyone thought that he was dead. Until he started moving. The shrapnel from the Japanese bullet had struck him square in the chest... and stopped halfway through the New Testament his father had put in his breast pocket before he had left home. Out of respect and as a reminder of his dad (my grandfather) Clarence always kept his Bible in that same pocket. It save his life.

My cousin still has that Bible.

Anyway, as much as I want to come fly rockets, family comes first. Besides, how could I say no to a hero?

My condolences to you and your family. I've never heard of a delayed funeral before, so it seemed odd to me, but it makes sense now that you explain it.

My condolences to you and your family. I've never heard of a delayed funeral before, so it seemed odd to me, but it makes sense now that you explain it.

It may not be common, but it does happen.
When my sisters father-in-law passed away after a lengthily illness:

That side of the family has a large re-union every few years.This particular one they were all going to Italy,to the town the family had originally lived in before immigrating to the US many, many years ago. None of the younger generation had been there, a villa was rented months in advance and a large number were going to attend, with all the spouses,children & grandchildren etc.

When grandpa passed a few days before the departure date, grandma had him put in refrigeration for 4 weeks till they returned from the trip & then could plan the funeral. She saw no logical reason to cancel & knew "he" would have wanted them to go and have a good time.

Once again planning the funeral would not be a simple matter, as all of the direct family lives coast to coast in the US & had taken a lot of time off to go to Italy. The funeral was put off for several months.

Last edited:
I have not decided, but I may decide to have my ashes spread across a mountain top in West Virginia. I would rather have it done at a family reunion or something of that sort so I understand.

Awesome. We will have 64 pads: 32 low power, 16 mid power, 12 high power, and 4 away cell.

As is the nature of the truck drivn biz, load changed at last minute. I won't get it tomorrow but definitely b4 launch. I am working several options.

Hello-

Posted a question twice on the NSL2015 website concerning signing up for range duty...it has been awhile.. Don't know if you never got it or have not replied. Concerning range duty sign up....is it done when we register or at the launch site?...it would factor for our travel plans from Ohio.
Thanks

I am working on it. I am out of town and I am an n of one. It will be there this weekend.

Thank you Chuck-
Just asking
I did not know you were the only one working on it nor knew you were out of town.
Thanks for your reply, hope you have a good day.
Andrew

I am sorry for the bluntness. You are the 5th person to ask. I am juggling vendor invites, editing the website, and work. It is hard edit from my ipad.

Android does not make it easier to edit Wordpress. Just Sayin. I have both.

Chuck, thanks for being the point of the spear (or perhaps center of the bullseye?) on this. This is going to be a great event!

--tc

CJ and I are getting ready to show the NSL 2015 commemorative Rockets.
Two rockets from us will be released shortly.
1) the Punisher 38mm airframe, 29mm motor tube, E thru H motor.
2) SkyWolf, 38mm airframe, 29mm motor tube, E thru H motor.
Both will come with NC, 17" airframe, fins, CR's, motor tube, Shock cord, Parachute and Decals.
Pricing info to be release soon.

Sneak teaser>>>

I really like the design of the SkyWolf. Does it whistle like the Thor? Any plans for a larger version?

Last edited:
Chuck putting this up so far in advance I hope doesn't bite you on game day! I discovered at LDRS31, people (in good heart and faith) sign up for range duties months in advance then forget they did leaving the Launch Director and his team hanging. Now I don't post it until 6 weeks in advance then push the heck out of it.

So people, if you sign up to help make sure you don't forget, It is EASY to DO!

I build a new low power pad for NSL 2015. Cost less than 120 bucks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is a nice build Chuck,,,
Great idea with the 2 tripods...

Teddy

Back