EVENT AIRFest 29, Sept. 1-4, 2023

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You to the KLOUDBusters for hosting AirFest 2023. I had an AWESOME time !!! If only I lived closer .......................

It was all about two stage madness for me. One flight on each of the first three mornings, before things go too hot temperature-wise. My goal was to use my NoseCam VOC systems to keep the sustainer vertical between motor burns in order to maximize coast time. And also to fly higher than I've ever flown before :)

Flight details summarized in the photo below.

1693912935128.png

I got video from the NoseCam on the second and third flights. Unfortunately, on the first flight the video camera decided to shut down a few minutes before launch. My best guess is camera processor chip overheated.

Flight #2 video:

Flight #3 video:

And a big congratulations to our flying buddy Dave D on getting his L3 Sunday afternoon!

View attachment 601936

4” WM Punisher on a M1297 to 18,000’!

Thank you @jd2cylman!! It was only with YOUR HELP and SO MANY OTHERS that I could pull this off!! I'd try to thank EVERYONE, but the list is so long I could never even hope to get it right!

Hopefully I do it justice here: Thank you to my TAPs, Kloudbusters, QCRC, Tripoli Wisconsin, *ALL* of my rocket friends over the past few years that have helped, taught, joked, but mostly had the patience and kindness to help me fail, succeed, and learn.

A huge shout-out to @rfjustin for getting some absolutely FANTASTIC shots of my 100% ARCAS on the Aerotech L1420 Redline. That red is so intense in the photos and exactly what I was going for with that red & white rocket.

Others have said it so much better, but the Kloudbusters are a great bunch to put this together year after year, and make it look easy!

Thank you, all!

~Dave~

P.S. @jd2cylman had an awesome flight on his Punisher 6 on a research N motor!

My wife was able to fly the Inverted Pursuits Lab rocket she got at last years Airfest. 2.6" rocket on an AT H219. Payload bay in the nose had a Altus Metrum Easy Mini altimeter(single event-chute deploy at apogee), and a Tele GPS(bean field insurance). 25' of Teddy's EXCELLENT Kevlar shock cord held it all together. Flew off the rail on a fly away guide to 2,000 ft., event at apogee as designed and a gentle landing 50 feet west of Sarah Jane's trailer(nose cone stuck the landing though). My wife snagged a roast beef bag lunch combo on the way back to the camp. Launch, then lunch.field.JPG

I had a blast at AirFest and had a couple of great flights of my own. Flew my (cardboard) 3" LOC IRIS on a Loki L2050 to 13.8k feet, My 4" WM MotorEater98 on an AT M1780 to 14.8k feet, and my 3" Punisher on a CTI K740 to 11.5k feet.

The IRIS (there's a lot of carbon fiber on that cardboard):
IMG_8806.JPEGIMG_8810.JPEGIMG_8808.JPEGIMG_8809.JPEG
View attachment IMG_9497.MP4

Wildman MotorEater 98 - "Birds Aren't Real":
IMG_8822.JPEG
YouTube video of onboard the rocket can be found here:
Birds Aren't Real - AeroTech M1780 - AirFest 29

3" Punisher - "In Cold Blood":
IMG_8842.JPEGAirFestPunisher.jpg

I had a blast at AirFest and had a couple of great flights of my own. Flew my (cardboard) 3" LOC IRIS on a Loki L2050 to 13.8k feet, My 4" WM MotorEater98 on an AT M1780 to 14.8k feet, and my 3" Punisher on a CTI K740 to 11.5k feet.
The IRIS (there's a lot of carbon fiber on that cardboard):
Wildman MotorEater 98 - "Birds Aren't Real":
YouTube video of onboard the rocket can be found here:
Birds Aren't Real - AeroTech M1780 - AirFest 29
3" Punisher - "In Cold Blood":
Dude, that L-2050 flight was sick! I got to watch that one nice and close from the 50's pads.

Was nice sharing dinner and stories Saturday evening.

Cheers!

Dude, that L-2050 flight was sick! I got to watch that one nice and close from the 50's pads.

Was nice sharing dinner and stories Saturday evening.

Cheers!
It was awesome meeting you too! Maybe one of these days I'll come up to Bong in the winter to see how much nicer it is than July.

Here's part one of my Airfest 29 coverage!

Braden

Dude! Part two opens up with my L-1090 to K-250 two stager, thanks for catching that!

Let me know when all the footage is done for Airfest please. I need to supplement my thumb drive with your LDRS footage as well as Airfest footage please. Happy to kick in a healthy donation as a thank you for what you do. :)

Dude! Part two opens up with my L-1090 to K-250 two stager, thanks for catching that!

Let me know when all the footage is done for Airfest please. I need to supplement my thumb drive with your LDRS footage as well as Airfest footage please. Happy to kick in a healthy donation as a thank you for what you do. :)
Much appreciated! It was an awesome flight!

The video is ready for digital download/USB. Since I switched to 4K60, though, the file is quite large! I'll shoot you a message. It might need its own dedicated USB drive for the full quality/bitrate.

Braden

Much appreciated! It was an awesome flight!

The video is ready for digital download/USB. Since I switched to 4K60, though, the file is quite large! I'll shoot you a message. It might need its own dedicated USB drive for the full quality/bitrate.

Braden
Sold, thank you sir.

Airfest, and LDRS held at Airfest; The Best launches I have ever gone to. You can fly really high flying and large stuff, it is almost in the center of the nation [Lebanon KS is ] , has a huge Cosmodrom Museum just up the road...

And is close to civilization to have Bourbon and Porterhouse Steak while Rag Chewing with your friends after the launch launch. If you don't stay at a Hotel, you can sleep in your rocket trailer I did a few times.

He Haw, salute, Hats flying :)

Back