EVENT AIRFest 29, Sept. 1-4, 2023

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just arrived at the hotel in south Witchita at 5. Good drive from Illinois with a fresh steroid injection in the lower back.

Hit all the temperature zones on the way down. 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and now 90's. 100's this weekend I think?

Ready to fly tomorrow!!

If anyone sees my rocket out there, probably north of the pasture, please let me know. I had GPS telemetry but it wasn’t laying on the road where the receiver said it was. IMG_1405.jpeg
This was at about 4pm.
Upon launch it went up and leaned west, apogee was over 4K and the LCO announced that he saw an event (drogue) but I had lost sight by then. As I said it hooked west and the wind was from the south, but the GPS indicated that it landed on the road basically perpendicular to the 80 pad, so about 1500-2000 feet east of the tents.
It’s gotta be somewhere.

Last edited:
If anyone sees my rocket out there, probably north of the pasture, please let me know. I had GPS telemetry but it wasn’t laying on the road where the receiver said it was. View attachment 601520
This was at about 4pm.
Upon launch it went up and leaned west, apogee was over 4K and the LCO announced that he saw an event (drogue) but I had lost sight by then. As I said it hooked west and the wind was from the south, but the GPS indicated that it landed on the road basically perpendicular to the 80 pad, so about 1500-2000 feet east of the tents.
It’s gotta be somewhere.

Dang. Hate to hear you lost it. I watched you work on it for a long time. We were set up next to you (just to the south of you). Hope you find it!

I too lost a rocket
Wildman Falcon 3 carbon fiber tube all black. Last tracked was in the bean field across from the 60’s pads. I currently have a pink flag marker on side of 80th road and it’s approximately 300-400 feet in from that point. There was no deployment so I doubt you will see a chute. Came in sideways and not ballistic. May be missing a fin or two. If you do, chute is orange and there is a blue streamer.
My ph# is on the AV bay.

TIA
Brian

******UPDATE******
Booster section was found
Still looking for AVbay and nosecone.

*****2nd update*****
Both transmitters have been found still missing electronica bay, nose and chute….doubt that will be found

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpeg
    IMG_3278.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I too lost a rocket
Wildman Falcon 3 carbon fiber tube all black. Last tracked was in the bean field across from the 60’s pads. I currently have a pink flag marker on side of 80th road and it’s approximately 300-400 feet in from that point. There was no deployment so I doubt you will see a chute. Came in sideways and not ballistic. May be missing a fin or two. If you do, chute is orange and there is a blue streamer.
My ph# is on the AV bay.

TIA
Brian
What kind of tracking did you have? We recovered Sharon's Jimbo Jart in that area, using a CSI beacon tracker.

Marshall Telemetry
What kind of tracking did you have? We recovered Sharon's Jimbo Jart in that area, using a CSI beacon tracker.

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpeg
    IMG_3289.jpeg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 0
Well I'm out 1 and a half to rockets. On Thursday my 5.5 super payloader dx3, space lord, went up and the sideways on an N3300, apogee separation happened at speed and my harness broke at the aft airframe mount. Got the av bay and top half back but have not seen bottom half. I did find the nomex blanket from the aft harness, which is odd I would find an 18in square piece of cloth, but not 5 feet of silvery airframe. It landed north west of the launch site, not in the beans.

Today my 38mm minimum diameter roe ket went up on a k627 Loki red, looks like it went all the way up 18,000 plus feet, never got another tracking packet after launch and no one saw it come down.

I think after 4 plus hours in the 100 degree heat I'm not going to fly anything tomorrow, just take out the camera and be an annoying YouTuber.

I do want to point out the harness was from one bad hawk, and Teddy is more than treating me right in that regard. With a free repair and t shirt. He also correctly identified the year that harness was made just by looking at it. The guys a real class act so I picked up a Loki case and some g reloads from him.

Bdale and Kieth from altus metrums also helped a lot with trying to track down my 38 minimum diameter rocket. I've meet a lot of good people here.

I do want to point out the harness was from one bad hawk, and Teddy is more than treating me right in that regard. With a free repair and t shirt. He also correctly identified the year that harness was made just by looking at it. The guys a real class act so I picked up a Loki case and some g reloads from him.

Bdale and Kieth from altus metrums also helped a lot with trying to track down my 38 minimum diameter rocket. I've meet a lot of good people here.

Teddy (@Onebadhawk ) and his wife are two of the kindest people you could ever meet!

Sorry Keith wasn't able to help you figure out where your rocket is, even with the HT method.

-Kevin

Flew 4 rockets this weekend. Friday I flew my 6” WM Interceptor to a new personal best to 14,150’ on one of Chuck Swindler’s Albino Assault 98/12500 motors. Not bad for a draggy 70 pound rocket. Then it goes and lands just at the north west corner of the pasture across the road from the rocket pasture! No tracker needed. Then Sunday Chuck had a spare 98/18000 motor, and wouldn’t you know it, I happen to have a fully prepped WM 6” Ultimate Punisher.
Achieved a new personal best again at 19,660’! I put in two radio trackers and a GPS. I landed right on 44 (90th st), just east of Dixon Rd. Actually the darn thing hit the road… :mad: crunched the Aeropack retainer cap. But a new cap and it’s ready to fly again. I flew two more of Chuck’s motors Saturday and Sunday. Both were very easy to recover. Many thanks to Chuck for the awesome motors.

In the spirit of always trying to learn...Here's a few things I learned and observed from Airfest 29:

- Kloudbusters Fire crew - not all hero's wear capes
- Kloudbusters is organized
- Kloudbusters shipping containers are AWESOME
- Bob B gives great advice
- Amy P gives great advice
- One Bad Hawk products are amazing.
- A lot of people REALLY like the Flying Basket of Death and Destruction
- After doing a shift as RSO, In my estimation about 75% of the fliers on the field use Eggtimer products
- Inverted Aerospace Labs are super nice people to hang out with and they make great products. I bought 2 camera shrouds from them.
- I hate soybeans
- Don't land on the other side of the ravine to the far SE of the pasture. That is NO FUN to cross in 100 degree heat
- Bob B really likes Sarah Janes salsa.
- Chris Rocket Supplies trailer is amazing. Really wish I took more time to visit the other vendors.
- If you hit the LOC/Precision van with a Kufu's Pyramid apparently you get rewarded with a kit.
- Railbuttons.com clear railbuttons are the best rail buttons on the market.

In the spirit of always trying to learn...Here's a few things I learned and observed from Airfest 29:

- Kloudbusters Fire crew - not all hero's wear capes
- Kloudbusters is organized
- Kloudbusters shipping containers are AWESOME
- Bob B gives great advice
- Amy P gives great advice
- One Bad Hawk products are amazing.
- A lot of people REALLY like the Flying Basket of Death and Destruction
- After doing a shift as RSO, In my estimation about 75% of the fliers on the field use Eggtimer products
- Inverted Aerospace Labs are super nice people to hang out with and they make great products. I bought 2 camera shrouds from them.
- I hate soybeans
- Don't land on the other side of the ravine to the far SE of the pasture. That is NO FUN to cross in 100 degree heat
- Bob B really likes Sarah Janes salsa.
- Chris Rocket Supplies trailer is amazing. Really wish I took more time to visit the other vendors.
- If you hit the LOC/Precision van with a Kufu's Pyramid apparently you get rewarded with a kit.
- Railbuttons.com clear railbuttons are the best rail buttons on the market.

Yup…

Back