Now getting daily NAR Digest. Anybody know why?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a longtime NAR member.

On Sunday October 24, I received a NAR Daily Consolidated Digest email, the first one I've ever seen in a dozen years of membership. I've gotten a daily digest ever since. I didn't sign up to receive them; in fact haven't been on the NAR website since renewing my membership earlier this year.

So, I have no idea why this suddenly got turned on for me, and I wonder if others have also been suddenly getting these.

There is a link at the bottom of the digests to manage subscriptions; I signed in and found indeed there seem to be half a dozen "topic communities" of which I was previously unaware. I'm not listed as a member of any of them but for some reason all of them had checkmarks under "consolidated daily digest." Today I unchecked them all, and set notification settings to "No" and I expect I will no longer get the digest emails. I just thought it was weird that they started up all of a sudden.

I explored the communities briefly; it seems to be a fairly typical if rudimentary web forum.

Anybody know what's up with this?

I started getting them too but haven't had time to look into it as much as you have.

me too, just switched them off / unsubscribed.. didn't really bother to look into it..

It likely was:
  • a need / desire for the NAR folks to be more 'relevant' to us, than just a yearly visit.. [to renew membership]
  • A web update, and someone decided all NAR members need to know about this, so made this a mailer to every NAR member "better to include everyone and have them 'opt out' rather than have them 'subscribe & opt in'.."
  • The hopes to make their forums relevant & drive traffic towards it
  • NAR were approached by [pick a web ad / marketing co.] and need to drive traffic to render their ads as 'seen'

Personally, I find the Internet / web pages have been taken over by marketing, to the point that is it invasive & redundant, and just cheapens the site.. Not to mention makes the websites unusable & illegible.. "Ads first, information secondary.." We get enough 'garbage' in our inbox / daily lives..

(At least TRF has the option to turn off the ads, otherwise the membership here would drop, and another "rocketry forum" would soon sprout.. They were smart in this regard..)

I started getting those too and clicked the “Unsubscribe” link. They’ve stopped. I’m not sure why it was turned on. Maybe the consolidated daily digest is a new feature, and they just decided to default everyone to “subscribed”?

Edited

Those are auto generated forum digests - every NAR member is also a member of the newly reintroduced NAR Member Community forum. I don’t recall if the default enrollment was mentioned in either the magazine or E Rocketeer. If it was I wouldn’t have paid much attention anyway so this may not be a surprise to most.

It’s worth taking a look at, not a huge number of posts but some good ones. The conflict level, at least at this point, is very, very low - which can be a nice change compared to other “social media” stuff. No all caps posts, nobody being accused of any latent “-isms”, “-ists” or “-phobias”. Though if it goes the way of all internet resources that’s not going to last 🤣

Post on the NAR FB page about the NAR forum.

Attachments

• FAE98007-A56B-48E5-ADC2-7C124DF5C763.png
    FAE98007-A56B-48E5-ADC2-7C124DF5C763.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Anybody know what's up with this?

It generates conversions conversations about NAR on other forums.... just like this thread.

I guess I'm at a loss as to why NAR doesn't just team up with The Rocketry Forum? The format of the NAR forum is archaic, at best, and I bet 90% of the people posting there, are here also.

Last edited:
I assumed that the forum-esque format was new to the NAR webpage and someone decided that all members were automatically "in" until we deliberately chose to "opt out", which I did pretty quickly. I spend enough time on social media already. I definitely don't need another forum time sink.

I bet the NAR administrators wanted to look like they are doing something. Communicating with its members. I noticed I am getting them daily. It appears to me they are letting us see what they are discussing. I get over 100 emails a day and I cannot keep up. Most are political as I am active in that, but since they want $ I don't have, I ignore most of it. There might be some rule changes happening in the near future. No idea what they are. I am just guessing. I m not trying to start ANY rumors.

I don't have any inside information, but it looks like the NAR has good reason to decouple from FB since FB unilaterally imposed a pretty uncomfortable policy change on public groups. In addition there are a lot of people who won't use FB over security/privacy issues - I'm one of them. However, as someone noted, the NAR forum interface is awful - likely just some low-cost Wordpress plugin, and automatically subscribing all NAR members to a daily email without opt-in is a severe blunder. If the NAR were a for-profit business rather than a volunteer-run nonprofit it would be considered abusive. Todd Schweim is the NAR communicators director and he should be hearing about it from people (diplomatically, please!).

Back