Secret Santa 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do what you should/can do as Secret Santa based on what life throws at you. I don’t think anybody on this forum would fault you for sending one rocket when that is what makes sense based on your circumstances. You are a mensch for being a Secret Santa when life is throwing you curve balls. Thanks for participating despite life’s challenges!

What he said.

Papa Elf and Mrs Elf want to wish you all a Merry Christmas. As mentioned earlier the Conspirators sent me a 7.6" dia LOC Patriot Kit. I will post pics when I get back from my Christmas Trip. Mrs. Elf received two Pemberton Kits. The Kraken and the Screamin’ Green Meanie. While this is not a post where we share our Christmas loot, I wanted to share this pic of aprons Mrs. Elf got for me (and herself).
View attachment 496554View attachment 496555
You guys deserve appreciation gifts for all the effort you but into Secret Santa.
Mrs. Elf deserves gifts for putting up with Papa Elf.

At this time we would like the exercise our 5th Amendment rights and request Llama representation.

To all of my 2021 Secret Santas: @Pem Tech @TigerHawk @n3tjm: I know that I received a pretty generous amount of Secret Santa gifts this year! Thank you! I promise not only to enjoy the kits and parts I received, I also promise to use the kits and parts to try to get young people interested in model rocketry and STEM. I will definitely use the generous presents to "pay it forward".

A teenager who lives near me enjoys helping me repair my damaged model rockets: He is a ninja with the glue gun! We have some work to do with the all the parts I received!

(Actually, it is pretty easy to get kids interested in model rockets: Just launch one when kids are around. What self-respecting kid does not like something that flies up in the air trailing smoke and flame?)

(Actually, it is pretty easy to get kids interested in model rockets: Just launch one when kids are around. What self-respecting kid does not like something that flies up in the air trailing smoke and flame?)

I've always thought that 'display launches' for the general public would be great exposure for our hobby.

Tried to organise one with the 'local' hobby store, but half way into early planning they dropped rocketry from their product lineup. 🥺

Mrs. Elf deserves gifts for putting up with Papa Elf.

Are you sure it is not the other way around?

There are 6 participants who have not reported their loot yet. We all want to know what you all got :D

Papa Elf Special looks like it arrived in Phoenix last night. Hoping it will be arriving soon!

I know who the lead conspirator is and he will be dealt with accordingly :p

Papa Elf Special was delivered this morning. Thank you so much Papa Elf, @n3tjm! I have a situation, the box clearly states "Do not open until Christmas". Do I have to wait till next Christmas?? My wife votes NO, she doesn't want to put up with me for a year! 🤣

PXL_20220101_015306514.jpg PXL_20220101_015323871.jpg

Papa Elf Special was delivered this morning. Thank you so much Papa Elf, @n3tjm! I have a situation, the box clearly states "Do not open until Christmas". Do I have to wait till next Christmas?? My wife votes NO, she doesn't want to put up with me for a year! 🤣

View attachment 497831 View attachment 497832
Considering it was supposed to arrive Dec 24, 2021, I am sure you are safe to assume it was for Christmas 2021 :D. Go ahead and open it :D

Go ahead and open it :D

OK! You don't have to bend my arm!
Holy smokes!! What a fantastic gift with 6 super awesome kits from Estes, Quest, Aerotech and Pemberton Technologies. Then to top it all off is a tin of Papa Elf's famous super delicious cookies! I was speechless when I opened it and grinning from ear to ear! Look at all the kits and tin of cookies!

PXL_20220101_021402623.jpg

The kits are:
Estes: Citation Patriot and Yankee
Pemberton Technologies: Kraken
Quest: High-Q and Quad Runner
Aerotech: HV Arcas

Great big thank you to Papa Elf @n3tjm for organizing the Secret Santa event and for the Papa Elf Special! My hats off to you sir! Also a big shout out to Estes, Quest, @AeroTech, @Pem Tech for the fantastic kits. I've been thinking about dipping a toe into Mid Power and this may just be the shove I need. Thank you to all and very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Holy smokes!! What a fantastic gift with 6 super awesome kits from Estes, Quest, Aerotech and Pemberton Technologies. Then to top it all off is a tin of Papa Elf's famous super delicious cookies! I was speechless when I opened it and grinning from ear to ear! Look at all the kits and tin of cookies!

View attachment 497884

The kits are:

Great big thank you to Papa Elf @n3tjm for organizing the Secret Santa event and for the Papa Elf Special! My hats off to you sir! Also a big shout out to Estes, Quest, @AeroTech, @Pem Tech for the fantastic kits. I've been thinking about dipping a toe into Mid Power and this may just be the shove I need. Thank you to all and very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
I have built two of the AeroTech HV ARCAS kits, both converted to dual-deploy, and I absolutely love them! If you choose to convert that one and would like some hints and photos of my conversion, feel free to PM me and I'll help you however I can.

As promised here is the pic of the LOC 7.6" Patriot.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-268982870.jpeg
One of the tube couplers is a a bit smoshed but that may not be an issue if I decide to go with an eBay upgrade. Of course if I go with the ebay upgrade, I will need to get a longer tube to house the parachute bay. There is some minor squish damage on the fin slot end of the lower body tube, but the is expected on kits like this and is usually not an issue.

So I have some decisions to make. Do I build it stock? Do I want to add dual deployment? Do I want to glass it? If I glass it I will need to wait for warmer weather.

I do like the fact that I he rocket comes with the 54mm motor adapter.

The parachute that came with it is pink and orange. Which happens to be our favorite colors.

As promised here is the pic of the LOC 7.6" Patriot.
View attachment 498096
One of the tube couplers is a a bit smoshed but that may not be an issue if I decide to go with an eBay upgrade. Of course if I go with the ebay upgrade, I will need to get a longer tube to house the parachute bay. There is some minor squish damage on the fin slot end of the lower body tube, but the is expected on kits like this and is usually not an issue.

So I have some decisions to make. Do I build it stock? Do I want to add dual deployment? Do I want to glass it? If I glass it I will need to wait for warmer weather.

I do like the fact that I he rocket comes with the 54mm motor adapter.

The parachute that came with it is pink and orange. Which happens to be our favorite colors.

Super nice looking kit! Congratulations! :clapping: However you decide to build it make sure to post a build update and of course we want to see final build pics and flight videos! I sent you a PM regarding the banged up parts.

I have built two of the AeroTech HV ARCAS kits, both converted to dual-deploy, and I absolutely love them! If you choose to convert that one and would like some hints and photos of my conversion, feel free to PM me and I'll help you however I can.

Thus far I'm an exclusive low power guy. I do have upgrade plans for the Citation Patriot, see post #167 above HERE. I want to upgrade it to 24mm power and add a payload bay. While simple, these modifications are learning opportunities to grow OR simulation and building skills. Learn as much as I can while its cheaper. I want to progress trying out low power dual deploy, however I've been told Mid power is easier to learn since the air frames are bigger and maybe more forgiving. I have been having an itch to start dabbling into Mid-power but hadn't made the plunge yet. I expect the PES is going to push me over the edge, but I need to learn at my own pace and available time. I expect I will start with the High-Q since it is most like a low power just with mo-powa and probably a good match to a JLCR. I feel like I need to sort out low power clusters before I even open the box on the Quad Runner, goes back to learning at my pace. Of course I would love to see your upgrades on the HV ARCAS. I think it may just be my first dual deploy. I'll sponge up whatever knowledge comes my way! Thank You!

View attachment 497884

The kits are:

I think @AeroTech and @Estes might be into some sort of scheme. I see it probably going something like this:
1. @AeroTech Supplies kits for Papa Elf Special.
2. Recipient opens gift and finds super duper awesome kits then falls over in total surprise.
3. Recipient builds kit grinning ear to ear dreaming of clear skys, calm winds and RMS G motors.
4. Recipient buys lots of @AeroTech and Estes motors.
5. The rush of flying mid power is a gateway drug to level 1 cert and buying H, I and so on @AeroTech motors.

You guys are evil. 😈;)

There is several people that have not posted whatchagot for Secret Santa. I am sure your Secret Santa is anxious to see how much you like the gift they sent you. Please don't spoil their fun. Post what got and try to guess who their Santa was.

I'll venture a guess that my Secret Santa is @EvryThngIsAOk.

My box had an invoice/label, including a name & address, but translating that to a TRF handle can sometimes be challenging...

Of course, I also shredded the paper, so now I'm going from memory :dontknow:

I'll take a guess at my Secret Santa: @Wally Ferrer or @mikewrt. I've never met anyone from here face to face so I'm going with guys who liked my posts of my gift box and who might have been in rocketry for a while since I was given a really old kit (which I've built already, btw).

Sorry sir was not me!

Want to share any spoilers on your top secret project? :cool:
Project not top secret, wanting to build an air breather rocket. Something that looks (Sort of) like the two stage AeroBee 150. But I dont like two stage rockets anymore, too much chasing of pieces parts. (Frank Purdue said "Parts is Parts") The motor will be in the upper section with the booster stage part open with a phenolic tube liner to keep it from burning up as the motor thrusts down thru it sucking in air at the inter-stage area, thus eliminating the krushnic effect.

1641403171014.png

Here it is, folks! The first unglued assembly of the Secret Santa rocket courtest of @n3tjm, @Pem Tech, @TigerHawk and a special Elf who donated the bottom transition and 3D-printed the top transition!

D919FA6D-C161-464E-B30D-C1328F891DB4.jpeg
This bad boy is tall at 48.5 inches! I could shorten it, but I think a D or E motor ejection charge could easily push the rocket apart at the second transition (especially those Estes “shotgun” ejection charges).

I will leave the transitions white. Then I will paint the body tubes white. Then I will do a red spiral on each tube (not sure how to put on masking tape to achieve that).

I will use the Patriot fins, with two white and one red.
I will use 1/4” launch lugs on the bottom tube but I will probably still launch it on a 3/16”, four feet long rod.
Thanks you guys so much!
More pics to follow as I start building it!

(Do I need a “stuffer” tube for the motor mount if I use a 24mm motor? The motor would need to fill up about 34” of tube with ejection gas. I guess it couldn’t hurt…)

Last edited:
Back