NARCON 2024: what do you think?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised to see what a large selection of Estes clones NewWay has offered: https://www.erockets.biz/newway-rocket-kits/

Anyone know when the recording of the Manufacturer's forum is going to be made available to attendees?
Neil, it's up right now. Go to "past sessions" in the Accelevents page and pull it off the 2 PM (Pacific) Saturday list. This is apparently also edited to take out some of the technical "fun" we had on Friday night, as it's just a little over 2 hours, 30 minutes long. This is the same recording that was run simultaneously with R&D on Saturday, I think.

Anxious to see the New Way clone of the Estes Scud. Also need to pick up a NCR Hyperswift.

I recall he is no longer able to get Square tubes anymore; but all I could hear was he said the manufacture of the tubing was not going to sell to him and now he was working on "round-way" rockets.

Anyone recall what that part was about?

I recall he is no longer able to get Square tubes anymore; but all I could hear was he said the manufacture of the tubing was not going to sell to him and now he was working on "round-way" rockets.

What you said is correct and complete. No more square rockets for the foreseeable future. eRockets (and maybe others) still have a few left in stock.

The story as he told it on Friday night during his portion of the presentation was that he got some square tubes from the supplier that weren't good enough. The supplier asked him to send a sample of a tube that was good enough. He did, and the supplier wrote back that they were going to refund him for the rejected order and then told him to not do business with them again. That's a pretty big set of nails in the coffin for those wonderful square models.

If anyone knows of another supplier of spiral wound square tubes of decent quality, I'm sure Rick would love to hear from you.

So he's pivoting to NewWay OldWay models with round tubes.

The story as he told it on Friday night during his portion of the presentation was that he got some square tubes from the supplier that weren't good enough. The supplier asked him to send a sample of a tube that was good enough. He did, and the supplier wrote back that they were going to refund him for the rejected order and then told him to not do business with them again. That's a pretty big set of nails in the coffin for those wonderful square models.

If anyone knows of another supplier of spiral wound square tubes of decent quality, I'm sure Rick would love to hear from you.

Thanks Bernard, I thought it might be an issue like that. Frank at PML had such an issue with a phenolic tube supplier at one point some many, many years ago.

Last edited:
A little disappointed that the new mini Alpha and Bertha are snap togethers but the ARCAS looks very nice.

Dang! The NCR Phantom 4000 bring back beat out the Quasar NG.
Snap together Der Red Max? So, a red Jinx?

It's sad when a vendor has to scrap most of their product line because of one supplier. I hope he has success with his new line, he makes some really cool kits.

Neil, it's up right now. Go to "past sessions" in the Accelevents page and pull it off the 2 PM (Pacific) Saturday list. This is apparently also edited to take out some of the technical "fun" we had on Friday night, as it's just a little over 2 hours, 30 minutes long. This is the same recording that was run simultaneously with R&D on Saturday, I think.
I can't find it. I don't see a specific "past sessions" section, just the regular sessions with a little slide bar that apparently turns on past sessions. I have that turned on. All I can find is the original Manuf Session on Friday, but with no option to view. I don't see anything listed for Saturday.

Did it move somewhere?

Hans.

Edit: I can scroll up, down, and all over, it doesn't show. BUT, I just tried doing a Search and the playable version shows up together with the unplayable version. So all is OK. I think....

Last edited:
I can't find it. I don't see a specific "past sessions" section, just the regular sessions with a little slide bar that apparently turns on past sessions. I have that turned on. All I can find is the original Manuf Session on Friday, but with no option to view. I don't see anything listed for Saturday.

Did it move somewhere?

Hans.
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 12.29.47 PM.png

Then

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 12.31.16 PM.png

When more than one session was happening, the choices scroll left and/or right.

Bummer about the square tubes. The one model I was hoping to see but never made it was his square version of the USS Andromeda. Quality kits either way especially the Nike Ajax and Mars Snooper II.

In Aerotech's presentation, Gary mentioned, and I'm paraphrasing, so if the wording is a bit off... well..., he mentioned that they are aware of the Qjet W chuffing issues and it sounds like they have a fix.

Now I'm waiting for the release of the "Seasonal Motor" list. Haven't found it yet, was supposed to be released today.

Hans.

Bummer about the square tubes. The one model I was hoping to see but never made it was his square version of the USS Andromeda. Quality kits either way especially the Nike Ajax and Mars Snooper II.
I have been pining for several years for the Saturn IV. Alas. :(

In Aerotech's presentation, Gary mentioned, and I'm paraphrasing, so if the wording is a bit off... well..., he mentioned that they are aware of the Qjet W chuffing issues and it sounds like they have a fix.

Now I'm waiting for the release of the "Seasonal Motor" list. Haven't found it yet, was supposed to be released today.

Hans.

REMEMBER Centuri Sure Shot Dots?? One element of those would solve the problem next to the Q-clip

No, the Mini Max and ARCAS are regular paper and balsa builder kits - the mini Bertha and Alpha are snap together kits like the recent Starhopper.
It would help if I had that reading comprehension thingy the teachers kept talking about. Pity. I was looking forward to having another Max for the fleet. That said, I'm thrilled to see the Mini Max back on the shelves. Hopefully they'll be on the racks at Hobby Lobby.

NARCON was very good, other than the videoconference problems plaguing several presentations.

I only wish the NAR membership fee covered this conference and not as an extra cost. I would much rather have the NARCON conference than Sport Rocketry magazine.

I may have missed this but isn't it going to be available to those who didn't subscribe after 90 days?
I don't know if anyone has said specifically this year, but I think usually the videos become available in the NAR member fora after some time, then they appear later on YouTube.

I'm looking forward to either of those, as I don't have the time to watch very many of these presentations at the 1x speed that's the only option currently.

Back