Fire & Ice 2024

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson Star

Reaction score
The Edmonton Rocketry club hosted the "Fire & Ice" HP rocket launch in Viking, Alberta, on 24 Feb 2024. This was the largest group of rocketeers that I have seen at a launch in Alberta. At last year's "Fire & Ice" I earned my L1. This time, I returned as an L3 and had the luck to fly the first rocket of the day. It was the same rocket that I had previously fired twice at "Fall Fire 2023" trying to complete my CAR Electronics Endorsement, without success. I am very happy to report that the rocket had a great flight (into the heavy winds), a perfect dual deployment, and landed gently on the snow-covered, frozen lake only a few hundred feet away. With the EE on the books, I look forward to starting the L4 challenge!

Did you use the same rocket for your cert flights?

Or did you build the same for each cert?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I used the same Mega-Initiator for my three certifications flights. For my first EE flight, I extended the Mega-Initiator for dual-deployment. It carried an Easy Mini. For the second EE flight, I scratch-built a 3" dia. rocket, which carried a StratologgerCF.

I heard the LCO call your name out early in the day! Going to any of the spring launches?
Yes, it was nice to have my rocket fired as the first of the day, while everybody was paying attention! And yes, I will try to attend all of the HP launches in Alberta this year. Will be building my first fiberglass rockets soon, and also need learn how my tracker works...

Back