NARCON 2024: what do you think?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am psyched about the Eggtimer kit. I will be getting one as soon as they are available. It'll be a great first step into DD for someone like me.

I am wondering if these will have time delay and/or option for second stage ignition.

Anyways, IMHO this Friday NARCON 2024 was terrific!
concur. not sure about staged. Anything is possible.

concur. not sure about staged. Anything is possible.
They haven't been able to offer a staging motor yet so I doubt it, but we will see. With all of AT's years in the composite motor business they have yet afaik to offer a method or a motor capable of direct staging, which I am sure they would have if they had figured out a way to do it.

Manufacturers' forum is the one session for which a recording is not available now that I have time to watch. Gary posted his presentation in the Aerotech thread, and Estes seems to be covered above, but could anyone clue me in on what else was show? What's the new Eggtimer kit?

Manufacturers' forum is the one session for which a recording is not available now that I have time to watch. Gary posted his presentation in the Aerotech thread, and Estes seems to be covered above, but could anyone clue me in on what else was show? What's the new Eggtimer kit?
The manufacturer forum should get rebroadcast today at 5PM eastern time.

Eggtimer will be selling a complete kit for dual deploy. If I recall it's a 3" rocket with a 29mm motor mount, drogue, main, AV bay, electronics, etc. Available some time in the spring.

Eggtimer will be selling a complete kit for dual deploy. If I recall it's a 3" rocket with a 29mm motor mount, drogue, main, AV bay, electronics, etc. Available some time in the spring.
Aha! Thank you. Interesting news. Seems useful for an electronics manufacturer to offer kits to introduce their product. Rather like Apogee have done with the TTV.

Considering how affordable Eggtimer stuff is I’m hoping this is in the same ballpark as far as value for dollar. Not that I really need more unbuilt Eggtimer kits on my shelves waiting their turn! Who am I kidding, of course I do…😆

The kit will be $100, and include basically everything except launch supplies (motor, wadding) and the 9V battery (yes, we gave in to the masses, but you could also use a 2S Lipo). 3" diameter, about 42" long, 29mm motor, electronic push-button switch for altimeter on/off. The altimeter is basically a through-hole version of the Quark, with no setting adjustments... drogue at apogee, main at 500'. We're still tweaking the AV bay and a few things on the altimeter, we're hoping for a release this Spring.

The kit will be $100, and include basically everything except launch supplies (motor, wadding) and the 9V battery (yes, we gave in to the masses, but you could also use a 2S Lipo). 3" diameter, about 42" long, 29mm motor, electronic push-button switch for altimeter on/off. The altimeter is basically a through-hole version of the Quark, with no setting adjustments... drogue at apogee, main at 500'. We're still tweaking the AV bay and a few things on the altimeter, we're hoping for a release this Spring.
That’s a great value for the contents! Is there someplace on the Eggtimer site to sign up for availability notices?

Just a quick shout-out to Cris for participating in the vNARCON Manufacturers' Forum.
I have been wanting to get some or any of the electronics manufacturers to be presenters as I think this is an important part of the hobby and under-represented in the rocketry hobbyist's mind.

During the Estes presentation, Mallory Langford stated that the limited-edition Starlight kit will see another production run.

Last edited:
I am wondering if these will have time delay and/or option for second stage ignition.

Anyways, IMHO this Friday NARCON 2024 was terrific!
The ability to direct stage is the main reason why I'd like to see more higher-thrust black powder motors. It is great to see that Aerotech is going to offer a B14 single stage composite motor, but I seriously doubt that any composite would work reliable as a booster motor for direct staging. Sure, you can always use timers to ignite an upper stage, but I just want to keep low power classic rockets simple.

Back