NAR Giant Sport Scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egoldee

Reaction score
I am looking for kits recommendations for NAR Giant sport scale.

The rocket must be at least 1 meter long and 10cm diameter.

I am looking for kits recommendations for NAR Giant sport scale.

The rocket must be at least 1 meter long and 10cm diameter.
(1) What is your experience level with Scale models ?

(2) Do you want single or multi-staged ?

(3) Do you want single motor(s) or clustering ?

If you want "Mission Points", I suggest an AEOLUS ( 7 motors in the Booster / Two-Stage ).

07.JPG04.JPG09.JPG10.JPG11.JPG02.JPGAeolus drawing 1.jpgAeolus drawing 2.jpgAeolus  daytime photo.jpgAeolus photo CROP - 150dpi.jpgaeolus__1.jpgAeolus0001.jpgAeolus0001-a.jpgaeolus1.jpgAeolus-daytime-photo-CROP - 150dpi.jpgASSEMBLY - 1.JPGaeolus3.jpgAeolusdrawing 1.jpgAeolusdrawing 2.jpgaeolus3.jpg

Attachments

• Aeolus drawing 1.PDF
    269.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Aeolus drawing 2.PDF
    247.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Launch Vehicles.pdf
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Actually, the rule reads “or“, not and.
I seem to recall that there are a couple of screwball prototypes that can be built at a scale that is simultaneously legal for both Giant and Peanut Sport Scale. Anyone remember what those might be?

I seem to recall that there are a couple of screwball prototypes that can be built at a scale that is simultaneously legal for both Giant and Peanut Sport Scale. Anyone remember what those might be?
One was the PEPP Aeroshell (in one of the RotW supplements). MLAS is another (I need to publish that one, as my drawing is complete). The Apollo pad abort tests just miss it. The trick is to have a diameter that is at least 1/3 of the length.

Lookup the Aerospike Rocket , I got 4th place in Naram team class with it when someone else said my color in my document did not match and got down graded for that issue my inkjet just did not have the exact color for my Documentation paper

Don't forget to build the complete scale model with the booster used in the actual flight. People have had their models disqualified for not having all stages as flown. The Iris and Sandhawk, for example.

Don't forget to build the complete scale model with the booster used in the actual flight. People have had their models disqualified for not having all stages as flown. The Iris and Sandhawk, for example.
Sandhawk flew single stage. Iris and Aerobee are classic 2-staged rockets that are often kitted without the boosters. Another issue is the Black Brant X, which is by definition a combination of a Terrier first stage, a Black Brant V second stage, and a Nikha third stage. One manufacturer decided to sell a kit without the Terrier first stage. That kit also misread the top half of the adapter as a boattail. Now there are a bunch of contest-illegal BB X kits in the world.
So yeah, beware of Iris, Aerobee, and Black Brant X kits for contests.

Lookup the Aerospike Rocket , I got 4th place in Naram team class with it when someone else said my color in my document did not match and got down graded for that issue my inkjet just did not have the exact color for my Documentation paper
Yeah, the problem with competing nationally is that the other competitors are pretty darned good, so choosing the winner requires nitpicking.

That sucks. Getting any color to reproduce digitally accurately is very, very difficult.

We used to have Canon color laser printers. They were really good. The company changed to Xerox brand when it was time to replace them and the color is a joke. It can be really, really bad.

Might be worth having your doc packet printed at a highish-end print shop.

Last edited:
Sandhawk flew single stage. Iris and Aerobee are classic 2-staged rockets that are often kitted without the boosters. Another issue is the Black Brant X, which is by definition a combination of a Terrier first stage, a Black Brant V second stage, and a Nikha third stage. One manufacturer decided to sell a kit without the Terrier first stage. That kit also misread the top half of the adapter as a boattail. Now there are a bunch of contest-illegal BB X kits in the world.
So yeah, beware of Iris, Aerobee, and Black Brant X kits for contests.
Good advice, thanks Peter. In addition, there are certain rounds of a prototype rocket that were flown with and without a booster stage. A common mistake is to document a single-stage scale model with markings and colors that were only flown as 2 (or more) stages.

Back