Giant Sport Scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss

Old-Timer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the weight limit and motor impulse limit is for giant Sport Scale..??

Do they follow the model rocket code or the FAR 101 regulations or something different..??

Thanks

Dan

I recently asked something like this with the NAR community and got this explanation. I asked if plastic kits could be used for part of the scratch model and if large motors like a K could be used. Evidently, the Giant Sport Scale is still governed by the model rocket code.

Despite the name, Giant Sport Scale is strictly a "model rocket" event and so has those power and weight limits.

Rule 53.5 at nar.org/pdf/pinkbook.pdf says that parts from commercial plastic kits may be used on the entry provided that this is called out in the data packet.

If you do decide to enter something (please do -- it's fun!), then you'll want to check out the rest of what's in Rule 53 (Sport Scale) as well as the general rules towards the beginning of the "Pink Book" (they used to be printed with pink covers). Those talk about requirements for things like display of your NAR number on the model, safe recovery requirements, and so forth.

I recently asked something like this with the NAR community and got this explanation. I asked if plastic kits could be used for part of the scratch model and if large motors like a K could be used. Evidently, the Giant Sport Scale is still governed by the model rocket code.

Despite the name, Giant Sport Scale is strictly a "model rocket" event and so has those power and weight limits.

Rule 53.5 at nar.org/pdf/pinkbook.pdf says that parts from commercial plastic kits may be used on the entry provided that this is called out in the data packet.

If you do decide to enter something (please do -- it's fun!), then you'll want to check out the rest of what's in Rule 53 (Sport Scale) as well as the general rules towards the beginning of the "Pink Book" (they used to be printed with pink covers). Those talk about requirements for things like display of your NAR number on the model, safe recovery requirements, and so forth.
OK .. So that means the 1500 grams and 125 grams propellant .. thanks ..

This is the current edition of the Sporting Code.

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/USMRSC_July-2023.pdf
The previous link goes to the 2014 edition. IMO, that URL should redirect to an index of the different versions NAR wants to have available, just so people can automatically know that the link they followed is not for the latest version, while also allowing them to easily find either the latest version or any archival version they may be seeking. And the archival files should all be renamed following the format of the current one.

This is the current edition of the Sporting Code.

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/USMRSC_July-2023.pdf
The previous link goes to the 2014 edition. IMO, that URL should redirect to an index of the different versions NAR wants to have available, just so people can automatically know that the link they followed is not for the latest version, while also allowing them to easily find either the latest version or any archival version they may be seeking. And the archival files should all be renamed following the format of the current one.

Correct, it is no longer the Pink Book Code

Minimum 100 cm long, 10 cm diameter.
A pretty big rocket for a G motor, especially since scale tend to be heavy.
I like it.

Minimum 100 cm long, 10 cm diameter.
A pretty big rocket for a G motor, especially since scale tend to be heavy.
I like it.
Minimum 100 cm long OR 10 cm diameter

current NAR Sporting Code said:
51.2.3 Giant Sport Scale

The entry must be a minimum of 100 centimeters in overall length or a minimum of 10 centimeters in body diameter. Vehicles with significant outer assemblies or winged vehicles qualify if their length plus wingspan totals at least 100 centimeters or if their girth (as measured around in a plane perpendicular to the centerline of the model by a length of string around the components not including the fins or wings) totals at least 31.4 centimeters.

For example, an Iris with a 2 inch diameter airframe scales out to 1008 mm, if I remember right, for the sustainer w/o booster. That will fly fine on an F or G. But you will need to have the booster for scale competition. It’s allowed to only power the booster, but you’ll be outscored by someone who flies two stage.

Back