MWP Demon Drag Race

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost done with my Demon. Just need to attach rail buttons. Without recovery components, but including e-bay, electronics and battery, the weight is coming in at 6.25 pounds. Finish is "stock" with my typical epoxy seal and wipe to bring out the FG color.

Demon.jpg

Almost done with my Demon. Just need to attach rail buttons. Without recovery components, but including e-bay, electronics and battery, the weight is coming in at 6.25 pounds. Finish is "stock" with my typical epoxy seal and wipe to bring out the FG color.

Very nice Dwayne, Did you wet sand with superfine paper and then shoot the epoxy or some other method? Kurt

Wet sanded with 1000, 1500, 2000, then 2500. I used finishing (laminating) epoxy and coated the tubes, then rubbed off with a paper towel, then a final wipe with a microfiber cloth. Finish is a semigloss. Scratches are just sanded out (I use a 3M 3000 "sponge"). For the black, I rub down the FG with black ink, then I use the epoxy. For the tail cone, I just wet sanded through 3000.

T minus 4 days... and while your finished rockets are all looking spectacular, I'm still putting mine together. Made much easier by the awesome instructions Erik created. Dude, your "recessed-eye-bolt in-the-nose-cone" tool ROCKS! Thank you!

IMG_1904.jpg

T minus 4 days... and while your finished rockets are all looking spectacular, I'm still putting mine together. Made much easier by the awesome instructions Erik created. Dude, your "recessed-eye-bolt in-the-nose-cone" tool ROCKS! Thank you!

Oh, crap! That's something I forgot to throw in the car last night!

Guess we know who's wearing the dress...

Hey, I won't let that stop me. If I'm wearing the dress it is probably due to my crappy decal application and the drag induced ripples and creases.

Hey, I won't let that stop me. If I'm wearing the dress it is probably due to my crappy decal application and the drag induced ripples and creases.

I will have the largest self induced drag producing altitude reduction device by attaching a camera shroud with an 808 HD camera on the outside of my Demon. Can't resist the chance to capture some cool onboard drag race video!

Everyone should help Dwayne be off the pad first... So he can get footage of everyone else igniting below him and then flying past him... :D

Everyone should help Dwayne be off the pad first... So he can get footage of everyone else igniting below him and then flying past him... :D

Exactly .... consider me the "Pace Car" of the race.

I will have the largest self induced drag producing altitude reduction device by attaching a camera shroud with an 808 HD camera on the outside of my Demon. Can't resist the chance to capture some cool onboard drag race video!

Taking one for the team! :cheers:

Taking one for the team! :cheers:

My Demon went to 8547 feet. Max velocity was 764 mph. Rocket pulled 21 gees max. I used an Eggtimer Quark, Which worked fine, but according to my Altimeter Three the apogee ejection was 0.35 seconds early (?).

My Demon went to 8547 feet. Max velocity was 764 mph. Rocket pulled 21 gees max. I used an Eggtimer Quark, Which worked fine, but according to my Altimeter Three the apogee ejection was 0.35 seconds early (?).

And the video? We want to know about (and see!) the video.

And the video? We want to know about (and see!) the video.

I haven't pulled the video off the micro SD card. On our way home right now. I will see what I got tonight. I will also see where I landed. I was one of three flyers on Comspec channel 331 and recovered Judy's rocket (I think).

This was a really cool drag race! I only got pictures of it this year, hopefully I'll get a chance to participate next year.

JaJQn6g.jpg

Cool stills, Dwayne!!!! Looks like you certainly weren't the last off the pad for sure!

Congrats Tim on the win! Awesome job and glad to hear you took home the hardware! RocketDoc Kawabunga did a great job representing the dress well!:wink:

My favorite part of this year's drag race....no rockets whisting in! Well done to all, as I believe they all recovered as intended...great job all around!

-Eric-

Wow, more great calendar candidates (dunno if it's happening this year though), particularly the one markg posted and dshmel's fourth one. Got me some new desktop wallpapers. :)

This was a really cool drag race! I only got pictures of it this year, hopefully I'll get a chance to participate next year.

JaJQn6g.jpg

Interesting, the difference in color from the left one to the right one? Wonder if it's just from shadowing?

Either way, great drag race! Awesome job to everyone. No rockets left behind on the pads and all of the head end deployment systems worked.

Thank you Charlie for getting this motor certified and for the great deal!!

Did a bit of data capture from the two av-sleds used this weekend (for multiple flights). Thought I should go ahead and post what I had for the drag race (since more than a few asked how I flew so high). Also wanted to clarify some statements on weight/optimization, frankly because when I did the simulations it was months ago and couldn't remember what the heck I had done (I claim old age).

So first results... The Missileworks RRC3 logged an altitude of 9,738 ft. (beeps reported after flight) and the Perfectflite CF, 9766 ft. Approximate velocity was Mach 1.5 with the Mach transition around 1700 feet. The Perfectflite CF graph shown below.

DragRace_PFCF.JPG

Unfortunately, my RRC3 went through a power drain cycle after my Punisher flight on Sunday which corrupted the drag race data file and it wouldn't read. The saving grace is that it was only the second flight on that altimeter and the Punisher data file (a flight to 12,557 and Mach 1.8) was not corrupted. Since the RRC3 keeps a summation log, I could just subtract the total altitude (for the two flights on that altimeter, 22,295 ft.) from the second flight to get a first flight altitude of 9,738 ft. as reported audibly on Saturday.

RRC3Log.JPG

And then, just to clarify... I was not significantly above the build weights of other flyers as I had thought. My dry weight was/is 6.55 lbs. with all electronics and recovery which simulated to ~10,400 feet in Rocksim. Optimal weight for the K990DM was about 5 oz. less than my build weight for the Demon.

Optimal.JPG

So finally, what did I do to fly so high? I have no clue. I do know I was off the pad last. Maybe I was drafting off another rocket on ascent :) (which I don't think even works, BTW). Probably was just a fairly vertical flight.

Last edited:
Back