MWp n-5800 drag race

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am
As soon as I recover from the on board video tomorrow, IT'S BUILD TIME.
CHRIS

Wow, getting crazy crowded--should be a good show!!!

Although I may be wearing protection
Hockey_Mask_Icon.gif

And not just any rocket, Mr Hendrickson! Just ask the ones that were turned away because they didn't have the correct rocket! :D

Pointy end up!!! :D :y:
And then...........:fly:

Oooops..... guess I didn't think this through to good?

I built a 6in upscale of my custom Wildchild.

Figured if I had 2 N-5800's in it,would double my chances of winning. Now the trouble is I DON'T have a pointy end?

Maybe I can go back through a time/space consortium via a Iconic Frazzled Wormhole & re-arrange the build.

Anybody have one I can borrow?

100_9392.jpg

Oooops..... guess I didn't think this through to good?

I built a 6in upscale of my custom Wildchild.

Figured if I had 2 N-5800's in it,would double my chances of winning. Now the trouble is I DON'T have a pointy end?

Maybe I can go back through a time/space consortium via a Iconic Frazzled Wormhole & re-arrange the build.

Anybody have one I can borrow?

I would lend you mine but the Flux Capacitor is clogged with something...

Hey Blackjack....the best thing that you and Tim did for these kits was, the filament wound nose cone! I sealed mine up real good and shot it full to 150 psi with helium.:D
My only problem now is getting it out of the rafters in the shop......
RasAero can't compute my altitude due to "out of the ballpark" differentials.
One more person enters the contest and we have pretty much the equivalent of an R going off at Princeton.....things there may never be the same again.

Last edited:
Hey Gus.... got any hydrogen?

We could fill Tim's rocket with that.

Now THAT could get very interesting adding a new dimension to "liftoff".

'Course I want to be WAY at the other end of the pads.

Unfortunately no hydrogen Jim.......Have you ever been chased by a clown? It's kind of hard too run with a huge helium tank tucked under your arm, being chased by an angry clown throwing balloon animals and confetti at you.
Winters coming, our mechanics will have the little ether cans on the shelf soon......i'll see what i can do.:D

I hate too interupt but, a certain V.M.Barlow has been laying down the smack too not only me on the Indiana Rocketry forum but,......now the QCRS forum to all the competitors in the race.
Time to head over there and be the man.....:no:

[YOUTUBE]2hNHGZZB4g4[/YOUTUBE]

I count one cato and three shreds :surprised:

Tim, how about another one of these races at airfest next year? Only with ultimate darkstars?:grin:

Braden

I was there.

It was both cool and scary at the same time. It started raining huge parts at the flight line. One of the motors catoed and I found a propellant slug in the field.

Group Photo

Before.jpg

At least the fins stayed on :eek:

fincan.jpg

Something in the rules about the one who doesn't win - has to wear a dress :p

drag2.jpg

So 14 in the pre-launch photo, 11 ignite, 1 CATO and 2 or 3 shreds make 8 that survived burnout? Not a bad percentage, actually, considering.

I WON! :y:

I may reveal my secret someday..... but not yet.

Ok yet, foiled fins with heavy bevels. The 2nd place was 1200ft. below me.

Gone Bananas is the one dead center all by itself clear of both banks.

It's the one that goes straight as an arrow for the full flight duration on the video.
Landed 2.7 miles according to GPS as the crow flies from the pads.

Both altimeters were with in 40 ft of each other.

There was a left bank with 5 a right bank with 6 on the left
. 2 on the away cells and 1 off to the rear.

I don't want to hear any more crap about rail buttons and what they can handle. I FLEW MINE ON 10 10 BUTTONS and a 8 ft rail with 60-65 lb....12ft rocket! Although I must admit only the stainless screws and a tiny section of button was left. The sides hitting the rail were burned off.
I've done this before on less potent motors with complete success.

Actually 3 of them literally stripped the fins of & shredded.
2 were disqualified:cry: before we started, for altering the Ultimate Wildman kit.
1 with clipped fins .
1 that was shortened a 18 inches.
They both were allowed to fly , but with no chance of winning the prize.

CTI found the speed of G-12 with their N-5800. The average builder will have to amp up their construction skills!

2 catoed.... due to a now known failure, which will be documented .." for sure"..in the next few days.
So don't worry it won't happen again.

Chris Palmers catoed and burned.
Greg Trovilion catoed.

Diane Dorn shredded all 3 fins.
Tim Lehr shredded all 3 fins.
I think there was 1 more shred.
Don't have data on the rest.

Gus got the up part right but during main deploy something went wrong & the shock cord sheared. The booster then stabilized at 1000 ft, came in ballistic & buried itself 3ft deep. The payload...Av-bay NC came down under main and was fine.

All the above had to "walk the runway in the dress" with the exception of Gus. He did not attend the banquet.

Jeroen of CTI notoriety was on hand to verify each fliers altitude & oversee the motor build party for all 14 motors the night before at Tim's.

It was fastest recovery for me of a rocket and altitude of this kind .
Darryl and I recovered both our rockets & were back at the flight line in under 30 minutes.

I was only 150ft of of Rt 26. He was on the other side of the road.

So Darryl could not recover any data. Both alts were not beeping at recovery and no one had a flight viewer for his R-das or Arts.

As a side note: My first day "on the job" and I Tapptizzed 3 L-3 flights!
Congrats guys!

I am now a "made man" & full blown member of the Chicago Rocket Mafia, as of today.

Thank You's go out to Tim Lehr and CTI for making this event [drag race] possible. Much fun was had by all & I'm sure more reports will be filling in my blanks.... will come in over the next few days.

Also want to shout out for Loki and all the motors he supplied for the raffle. I'm flying a big 38mm I won tomorrow.

Thanks again to Tim. My prize is any re-load for the 6XL case at 50 % off!

It was an amazing event. Thank you Tim and Jeroen for making this possible.

I fully recovered mine, and although I did not win, I believe I got second or third place based on what Crazy Jim wrote above.

After carrying my big heavy rocket to the pad and manhandling it into position, I was really impressed by how fast it took off! :eyepop:. It sure puts things into perspective when you feel the weight of the rocket before you see it move that fast... The N-5800 is one heck of a motor and I am proud to have survived it!

Last edited:
Back