MWp n-5800 drag race

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, congratulations on winning the drag race! To Vic who found his today and recorded a flight too 24,900'....good job my friend! Thank you very much to Jeroen and Tim for setting up this absolutely incredible moment for some of us too share in.
What happened with my shock cord still perplexes me and has never happened before but, ill do a post mortem this week and go on.....Thank you Richard Cash for the help digging out "Angry Anne" and too Jason Griffin and Steve Pauling for all their help.....class act!
For anyone who would like to share data, my three NEW Perfectflight Stratologgers recorded 23,283', 23,288', 23,286' with a peak mach speed of 2.0154 average.
It was an honor too compete against you all....Bill and Diane, Sather, Claude, Frontpage, Judy....all the rest who i may not know now but, will become friends over time.
Yes Manny....i was the only one too fly off your "rebuilt" launch trailer and it held up very well.....keep reaching for the stars young man!:D

Last edited:
Jim Congratulations buddy.

It was an awesome event glad I could participate.
Thank you Tim and Jeroen for making this possible.
Also great thanks to Tim's daughters who carried that beast out to the pad for me.
Chris for finding my red booster with the fuzzy woodland critter attached to the front end.
CJ for the beer and white dog to drown my sorrows after the CATO.
MWP is my favorite launch,the people and atmosphere will keep me coming back.

Well it's Monday morning and back at work.
The following short clip from Conan with Kari Byron from LDRS made me smile this morning ...

https://teamcoco.com/video/kari-byron-boobies

who is that old guy???
Chris

MWP is always a great event. Thanks to Tim, and the folks at QCRS for hosting it.

The drag race this year was awesome. Fourteen N5800's in fourteen Ultimate Wildmen. Ten of these rockets made it over 20,000', with two catos and two shreds in the attempt. Thanks again to Tim for organizing this, and to Dr. J from Cesaroni for making it possible (and being there for it). You could literally feel the gust front hit you when those motors lit. In the attached photo #2, Chris (red rocket, gold band) and I (orange rocket, black decal) are flying in formation as Tim goes by in the middle.

IMGP5365.jpg

IMGP5460 - Version 2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my video of the drag race. I was only able to video one side since I only had one camera, no wide angle, and I was too lazy to move into the parking lot. Make sure to turn your computer speakers DOWN after the photos (about 1:00 into video)--the launch volume was insanely loud. I wasn't able to follow them up all the way because there was a nose cone and other debris coming down and I had to abandon the video rather quickly to look out for falling parts.

[YOUTUBE]9Ojliv026YA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Jim, congratulations on winning the drag race! To Vic who found his today and recorded a flight too 24,900'....good job my friend! Thank you very much to Jeroen and Tim for setting up this absolutely incredible moment for some of us too share in.
What happened with my shock cord still perplexes me and has never happened before but, ill do a post mortem this week and go on.....Thank you Richard Cash for the help digging out "Angry Anne" and too Jason Griffin and Steve Pauling for all their help.....class act!
For anyone who would like to share data, my three NEW Perfectflight Stratologgers recorded 23,283', 23,288', 23,286' with a peak mach speed of 2.0154 average.
It was an honor too compete against you all....Bill and Diane, Sather, Claude, Frontpage, Judy....all the rest who i may not know now but, will become friends over time.
Yes Manny....i was the only one too fly off your "rebuilt" launch trailer and it held up very well.....keep reaching for the stars young man!:D

Gus, it was my pleasure! I'm honored to be part of team Public Enemy Aerospace!! Any time, Any where, let me know and I'll be there!

Mars, i didn't and, even with a "booster ballistic bellyflop" from 700' above the ground i can say that my internal fillets and thin Coltronics outer fillets showed no evidence of separation during the flight......I do know that Vic Barlow used 3 layers of 7-8 thousand thick carbon per span of his (due to fin cut out and foam fill) and, his survived very well also. I would not be afraid too build a rocket like/ similar to this without cloth reinforcements for this type of power. As a matter of fact i will "rebooster" the rocket as a Darkstar and, do a glue injection....thin outer fillet and never think twice about its strength.......I guess it will be a "Wildstar":D

Thanks Tim(my) and Dr. J! I had a great time participating in this.

My rocket got 23,360ft (red nose and fins, white body) and recoved easily about 150yrds past 26 (2.5miles) with no damage. I had no internal fin support since it was built minimum diameter. The only thing I added was a 2inch strip of kevlar over the carbon reinforced fillet then tip-to-tip with 8oz fiberglass over that. The fin leading edge was aluminum flashing material glued on with cotronics 500deg resin.

Bill G

Gus,

I was looking at picking up a few of those Alt's. What are your thoughts after your first flight with them? Does the software graph the data, if so can you post it or Send it in a PM?

Steve, I like what I see so far....I'm still going too have some of our more "computer"oriented members look at the previous flight data too see if I'm missing anything.
I plan too fly them again sunday at our club launch in my Mongoose 98 with the N10k and put a little stress on them.
I've spent A LOT more on altimeters that DONT live up to their reputation, no customer support and, excuses from the manufacture. So far so good!

Last edited:
Back