PMW March 9th flight report

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconpilot

Reaction score
Phoenix Missile Works March 9th Launch Report

The day started out with absolutely clear blue skies and the temps in the 40’s.. This was the theme of the day that holding till the sun set with beautiful pink tones (which seems to be indicative of the Ladies of PMW making a strong showing at our launches of late) with the temps reaching a high of 59.5 with a surface wind max of 8.7mph. I guess that Carl’s and Hopes new windsock finally has scared the wind beast and tamed it.

Our club continues on the heavy streak of certification flights.. Over 14 (including this weeks totals) in the last month, all being level 1 and 2’s from the Tripoli side of the house. Bet Lee’s hand is tired from signing his name, but it was well worth it. Now on to the launch report of the day.

Certification Flights

Up first was Heidi Cotton with her new Binder Stealth, with a J350-motor ejection for her level 2 flight which was text book, which went along with her making a 100% on the written.

Next was the Huff family who went in style with bringing a generator powering a crock pot full of nice chili cheese dip. Kathy Huff, with her very nice looking Hyperloc 300 named Matilda went sky high in a I211 for a dual deployment that had the main come out at the top but was recovered nicely for her level 1.

Jeff Shrum was back this month for his Level 2 cert with a Lil John by Binder on a J250FJ dual deploy that earned his new level.

Damien Drury brought out his 3 inch Performer on a J350 with motor ejection to get his level 2 cert for future TRA endeavors.

Congratulations to all the new certs, as it open the doors to many new motors and adventures of rocketry.

Now the rest of the pack in no particular order.

Hope Hicks sent her Little John up on both a I245 and a I300 for a couple great flights on her refurbed rocket from last months mishap. More girl power comments were heard, and continued through the day from the Ladies at PMW.

Carl Hick’s Patriot went up on a K1275 with report that ended up taking some of the side body tube with the charges. Also ended up landing on the road behind the flight line with some minor damage to bottom of the fin can but heard rumblings of a soon to be 98mm mount so should be interesting.

Haley Allen went with her proven EZI-65 with a I245 with dual deploy, but really stole the show with a couple flights (B and a C) of a Estes rocket that had a helicopter recovery nose cone.

Kathy Huff with her level 1 in her pocket then proceeded to fly Matilda on an I316 for her first sparky motor.

Don Huff then flew his Iris 3 more times on a H128W (in a drag race), a H165R , and a H250 Green which seemed to be the predominate flavor of the day. Perhaps a wishing of an early St Patty’s day or harbinger of spring was the reason for the green motors.

Carey Huff got his Miss Fire out with a H1128W for a cool drag race with Dad but ended up with a nice tree recovery that required some climbing skills but was recovered.

Jeff Shrum flew a scratch built 29mm rocket on a G64-7 and H220T.

Kevin and Kyle Cornelius came loaded with a PML Miranda on a J450BL that had a shy main and landed in the wet and soggy field with only a couple fins loosened up. Then the 54mm Red rocket went up on a AMW I315Sk for a nice show of sparks.

Bob Hass brought out the Tramahawk for one of AMW’s newest motors N2800WW for a nice flight which Dr. Bob thought he would have to perform surgery on the fin can when recovered but made it through just fine with a prelim apogee of 13,038. Also brought out an oldie, the Aries on a J500 for the standard Bob Hass type of flight. Perfect.

Joey Wright then put on the pad the Vertical Assault on a J350 on its first flight since rebuilt. It had a shy main and showed everyone how a rocket can fly backwards on recovery. Then the Broken Dreams Intimidator 4 with a K1100 in it (nice aft) went skyward but had the main pop out at apogee…

Phillip Cotton brought out his old trusty Loc V2 for a motor ejection flight on a I285R for a nice flight. Nice whistle through the launch lug..

Max and Lee (Team WFO) loaded Chloral Hydrate on a Gorilla J167 moon burner for a nice long burn (we are seeing more of the moon burners lately) and good recovery.

Heidi Cotton flew her Sun Dog on a H73 and a I211 for her first dual deploy. The motor case ejected at altitude, (4158), and amazingly Dr. Bob with the twin Hubble binocs was able to see the case and track it to the ground, then leading the recovery team to walk to within 10 feet of the case. Needle in the hay stack.

Chris Short got out the trusty Hornet on a K270 for a nice long boost and very short recovery walk.

Dennis Cotton brought out again the Quasar for a tethered style recovery on a J500 that didn’t work out so well.. At least enough was recovered to make it fly again. Then out came the Moon Dawg on a I1299 warp 9 for a demo of strength for a PR little dog DD kit. It peaked out at 4252 like right now but with a shy main landing in soft mud for no damage.

Motors recorded on flight cards.

A 0
B 1
C 1
D 0
E 0
F 0
G 1
H 8
I 8
J 8
K 3
L 0
M 0
N 1
Total 31

Which J500 did Bob Hass and Dennis Cotton fly? The new Aerotech Green load or the Older and rarer AMW J500?

Back