Multi Stage Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20230412_185405.jpg
By the power of Greyskull I exercise the Demons of no ejection charges on D12 3's, lot number 0521! I hereby offer the Gods the essentials of sustainable oddroceketry. Let there be flight!
20230412_185820.jpg
Yeah, the skies where clear and the oddrocs flew true. It was good AND THE PEOPLE REJOICED! :)

Strength Testing The Fishing Leader Line

Good luck with those leaders, I quit using them after 3 broke on 3 separate rockets, I can look but iirc they are not a good grade stainless and are not anti-corrosive enough.

I used a 5 lb barbell weight and did a 24" drop test. I did (3) drop tests, all were failures.

1st Drop Test: The stainless quick disconnect failed,
2nd Drop Test: The braided string failed, so I upgraded to a heavier string,
3rd Drop Test: The leader cable broke just above the crimped grommet.

Trust, but verify. Many thanks to @rharshberger.

I'll be using 300# Kevlar.... so much for wandering off the path.

001.JPG001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG

Last edited:
Strength Testing The Fishing Leader Line

I used a 5 lb barbell weight and did a 24" drop test. I did (3) drop tests, all were failures.

1st Drop Test: The stainless quick disconnect failed,
2nd Drop Test: The braided string failed, so I upgraded to a heavier string,
3rd Drop Test: The leader cable broke just above the crimped grommet.

Trust, but verify. Many thanks to @rharshberger.

I'll be using 300# Kevlar.... so much for wandering off the path.

View attachment 577783View attachment 577784View attachment 577785View attachment 577786View attachment 577787View attachment 577788View attachment 577789View attachment 577790View attachment 577791

Really hope that all your efforts and attention to detail do pay out!
Looking forward to the big moment and keeping my fingers crossed 🤞

Fireproofing the Parachute Spools

I was going to paint these with high temperature paint, but instead just coated the bottom section that will get the direct blast of the ejection charge with wood glue. (2) heavy coats is what was applied.

I should do a test sometime to see how much protection this really provides.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

Eyebolt for 1st stage Kevlar Shock Cord

Yeah, it's a bit large, but it fits in the allocated space. 2nd stage just loops around one the motor retainer screws.

Also finished up fireproofing the spools. I figured the tops of the spools needed it too, to handle the blast from the upper stage motors when they ignite.

002.JPG003.JPG004..JPG005.JPG

Last edited:
Fireproofing the Parachute Spools

I was going to paint these with high temperature paint, but instead just coated the bottom section that will get the direct blast of the ejection charge with wood glue. (2) heavy coats is what was applied.

I should do a test sometime to see how much protection this really provides.

My go to for blast protection is aluminum can cut to fit. Wood glue holds it pretty well, since it’s a no stress joint.

My go to for blast protection is aluminum can cut to fit. Wood glue holds it pretty well, since it’s a no stress joint.
Depending on weight I also might use dryer duct tape or high temp BBQ paint. But even a healthy coat of white glue for most LPR applications works for a little while.

Back