Midwest Power 14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha Ha- Kinda funny...

You know how many Jim's there are on "ultra technology" FB.... a lot probably, anyway-

Here's a picture of my wife Sherryl at last years launch just after her L1 cert. She's studying the test now and hopes to cert L2 next weekend with same rocket.

It would be kinda CRAZY if this same guy photo-bombs her again this year :y:

Yea, that would be the other "Crazy" Jim. Gus, just FYI, both us "Jims" have girlfriends in Ohio. I'm just saying.....

That can't be yours. It looks great and it's not yellow.

I just woke up and read this posts again!!!

It can't be mine because "it looks great"????????

Themz are the kinda fight'n words that'll get your igniter clip pulled at a drag race.

Watch yer self teacher :dark:

Themz are the kinda fight'n words that'll get your igniter clip pulled at a drag race.

Ha!!!! I was wondering when you'd put it together...
I'd be more worried that my quicklinks are closed off I were you. :dark:

Well between a rock and a hard place with my unfolding business schedule this week. With travel, looks like I can't make it home to Indiana to prep/pack/haul round trip back up to Princeton.

BULLPUCKY! You own the business, make your Minions do some work for a change...:mad:

Tim,

I hope you are still in the Drag Race. Bring that thing as is and we can get it ready on site if needed. Glad you can still make the trip even if just for a limited time.

Hi! :smile: Can i offer my services? Step 1- Insert CTI I-243 up the core of said rocket before/while no one is watching. Step 2- Give rocket good coat of wax. Step 3-

Don't do it Tim! You'll just be enabling Jason's sick desire to make a 9 fin rocket.

Seriously tho- thanks Jason for helping Tim out.

Ohhhh....i think/know that are *other* motives here... :eek:

I was thinking that... Just leaving the Demon and my prep box in the trunk of the Cadillac at O'Hare for the week. I'll have to look at what I'd have to throw in the trunk tomorrow night.

Hello Homeland Security...Is this the "Tip Line"? :point:

Better yet, I'll meet you at O'Hare and grab it from you. I'll make you some charges and get it started for you!

Hello? It's me again, got some more information for you guys... :point:

Owwww....words are starting to be thrown out. :eek:

That can't be yours. It looks great and it's not yellow.

But, i guarantee that in direct sunlight that it will turn a beautiful shade of pink...Woo Hoo! :D

Yea, that would be the other "Crazy" Jim. Gus, just FYI, both us "Jims" have girlfriends in Ohio. I'm just saying.....

Yup, spent the better part of two hours talking to Crazy Jim on the mobile soup can line last night! Sure made my run down to East St. Louis last night more enjoyable...

"In the ghetto..." :eek:
:eek::eek: "In the GHETTO" :eek::eek:

"and, his momma cries...." :eek:

Jim wanted to say hello to everyone and, wish them a safe and, great MWP14 this year and, mentioned that he had some business to take care of, regretfully missing this one but, back soon! :smile:

Ha!!!! I was wondering when you'd put it together...
I'd be more worried that my quicklinks are closed off I were you. :dark:

It's like two monkeys in a cage getting ready to throw poop at each other...time to put on my raincoat.:jaw:

Double check your weight to thrust on that combo. I'd go G106!!

Had planned on being there Friday/Saturday. However, things have been so busy, I haven't had a chance to touch a rocket let alone start getting anything ready. After last year's debacle, I went ahead and actually got a hotel room. So now I have to go.

Will I have anything to launch? Good question. Probably whatever I can load/pack in my sleepy haze Thursday night/Friday morning before heading out.

So have the fields been harvested?

Just checked weather forecast. I know it's early. But...
Mid 60s, sunny and partly cloudy.
6-8mph winds.
All 3 days.
Fingers crossed that it holds

Just checked weather forecast. I know it's early. But...
Mid 60s, sunny and partly cloudy.
6-8mph winds.
All 3 days.
Fingers crossed that it holds

I hope it stays that way Erik...:D Just woke up and, looked at the forecast too. What a beautiful weekend here and, projected for the next. Tomorrow is CRUNCH day around here. It is utterly amazing how much time/effort anyone can invest in a project or two for five minutes of fame or shame.

Back to watching the Cubs...cmmmmon guys! :facepalm:

If it stays dry, we are in the field.

I sure hope so but, we do what we got to do to protect the land...Hope that we don't get any mid-week rainage. :p

I'll sacrifice some Chicken tonight and, do my dance in the kitchen to top it off. :marshmallow: HEY! IT WORKS! *sometimes*

Last edited:
Rain forecasted for Wednesday- the rest of the week looks good. I'm just looking forward to a night launch where I'm not freezing my giblets.

Did some deployment testing today and cycled the trackers and the tracking hardware. Hopefully I can get a JLCR flight to work nominally instead of ballistic flights and CATO's. Kurt

SATURDAY NIGHT ROCKET -

"Same old rocket" has flown (and crashed) at a few previous MWP's...

Just finished upgrading the illumination with 350 R/G/B remote-control LED's for extreme Night-Flight Awesomeness!! :)

[YOUTUBE]s3409Vrwzwo[/YOUTUBE]

It is amazing what one can get into a little Cadillac when they put their mind to it. Started out the day just hoping to get the Demon ready for the drag race and essential equipment loaded. Ended up with five rockets all ready to fly (save a quick link or two). And none are existing--that'd be too easy; they are all new builds. Saying that, I have no niceties like a pop-up, chairs/tables, cooler, grill, etc. But I'll have the clothes on my back and besides, rockets, motors and trackers, what else do you need!

Red, Bright, & Blue

[video]https://youtu.be/z7au9Mq5uMc[/video]

SATURDAY NIGHT ROCKET -

Just finished upgrading the illumination with 350 R/G/B remote-control LED's for extreme Night-Flight Awesomeness!! :)

Very cool!!! What's that launching on? I'm going with a blackjack so the lights stand out from the flame. But colored flames are always cooler at night, as are sparkies!

It is amazing what one can get into a little Cadillac when they put their mind to it. Started out the day just hoping to get the Demon ready for the drag race and essential equipment loaded. Ended up with five rockets all ready to fly (save a quick link or two). And none are existing--that'd be too easy; they are all new builds. Saying that, I have no niceties like a pop-up, chairs/tables, cooler, grill, etc. But I'll have the clothes on my back and besides, rockets, motors and trackers, what else do you need!

Crud... I forgot about chairs. And clothes. Yo, Adrian, I think we need a bigger boat...

Very cool!!! What's that launching on? I'm going with a blackjack so the lights stand out from the flame. But colored flames are always cooler at night, as are sparkies!

This one was built specifically for the 24mm 3-grain CTI F50 Skidmark. (I've got 2 in my motor box) Looking for about 750'. Much higher than that and they become just a speck in the sky...

Look for the campground and stop by if you need anything. We should have plenty of tables and cradles for you as well.
I'll throw an extra chair in the car for you.

To jump into the discussion on the night launch. Remember guys, we are following ALL rules and that limits the night launch to motors that are NOT listed as "high power". All sparky motors are high power and not allowed at the night launch. Please plan accordingly and pick something else if you had planned a Sparky night launch.

Thank you.

SATURDAY NIGHT ROCKET -

Looking G:smile::smile:D Scott! I'll save those "extra" motors for Sabrina's Mirage!

To jump into the discussion on the night launch. Remember guys, we are following ALL rules and that limits the night launch to motors that are NOT listed as "high power". All sparky motors are high power and not allowed at the night launch. Please plan accordingly and pick something else if you had planned a Sparky night launch.

Thank you.

Aaaahhh - Thanks for that info. I have no problem changing the motor, that's not a problem. :)

I incorrectly understood the limit to be "G" motors. That's not completely accurate.

My misunderstanding was in thinking you were following FAR 101 allowing illuminated Class-1 rockets at night, Class-2 rockets are restricted between Sunset/Sunrise per FAR 101.25d. As far as I know a sparky motor doesn't change the Rocket Class under FAR.

I understand OCRS is once again a Tripoli club, and you are following the Tripoli Safety code/Research code. Are the night launch rules written down somewhere? There is nothing at https://midwestpower.org/MWP_Range_Rules

Is that a new restriction? I looked for it but could not find a reference restricting sparky motors in night launches. IIRC, sparky motors are high power in that they require certification, just as if they had an average thrust in excess of 80N. But a waiver is required only for rockets weighing in excess of 1500 grams (Class 2), or with total propellant mass in excess of 125 grams. There are high power motors (including sparkies) that can be flown in Class 1 rockets without a waiver. I plan on using the CTI G69, with only 62 grams of propellant. I believe the G106 would also qualify. It has in excess of 80N of thrust AND is a sparky, both of which make it high power motor. But with only 75 grams of propellant, it can also be flown in a Class 1 rocket without a waiver, as long as the flyer is certified.

edit - it appears that in NFPA 1127, para 3.3.13.2 (2013 edition), they removed reference to the single motor propellant mass of 62.5 grams in the definition of a model rocket. So disregard that line in the attached metric.

High Power metric.png

Last edited:
Back