Midwest Power 14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Mr. CZTeacherman's spreadsheet, there were 706 flights (not including the test flights on Thursday) at MWP. Approximately 4-5 rockets got hung up on the lines, so if you flew at MWP, there was less than a 1% chance that any given flight would end up on the power lines.

@CZteacherman- we need more data here. Can you tell us if a rocket was more likely to end up on the power lines if it was flying AT, CTI, Estes, or Loki motors? What about the length of the name of the rocket? What about the kind of socks the flyer was wearing?

Flights filmed Saturday: Alex Z. Pyramid [/QUOTE said:
Nice, got the pyramid that just about beaned a few people behind the yellow tape. I picked it up and all the do-gooders said to drop it. It was a pretty heavy ship and was still smoking from the motor.
A QCRS person came over and told the flier they wouldn't have approved it for flight if they had RSO'd it. Given the weight of the thing I have to agree with that official or least of all it should have been placed farther out in the field for launch.
Either that or fly it with a chute. At least with a rocket under chute, one has a little more time to assess the descent and get out of the way. With a large saucer/pyramid, it gets hard to judge when one is right underneath it where it's going to hit
and waited to the last few seconds to run away and hope I didn't run into it. Kurt

Nice, got the pyramid that just about beaned a few people behind the yellow tape. I picked it up and all the do-gooders said to drop it. It was a pretty heavy ship and was still smoking from the motor. A QCRS person came over and told the flier they wouldn't have approved it for flight if they had RSO'd it. Given the weight of the thing I have to agree with that official or least of all it should have been placed farther out in the field for launch. Either that or fly it with a chute. At least with a rocket under chute, one has a little more time to assess the descent and get out of the way. With a large saucer/pyramid, it gets hard to judge when one is right underneath it where it's going to hit and waited to the last few seconds to run away and hope I didn't run into it. Kurt

The flier in question (an L3) needs to make sure the rocket will not go near the crowd as well. RSO can't prevent every possible malfunction. Your opinion is duly noted... rockets of this type need to be flown at least 500' from the flight line during future QCRS events.

-Nick's L-3 Pad Interview on Saturday in the You-Tube Video-

"Well, this ALL started with Gus...":D
:surprised: No, it didn't!
"He wanted to TAP somebody.":D
:surprised: I didn't say build a Schoolbus with fins on it!
"Gus, along with Eric really helped me ALOT with this project!" :D
:surprised: Actually, I was scared Sh*tl*ss by it...

You are too modest my friend and, really enjoyed it but, the LLC known as "The Gus" shall not be responsible, for low bank account balances, strife with the significant other, failing grades in school from young dependents...or exposure to immense amounts of paint fumes.

It sure was an INCREDIBLE ride, adventure, learning experience and, day my friend! :eek:

The Missouri S&T rocket team would like to thank everyone who helped us out this year at Midwest Power. All said and done, you all helped us certify twenty-five L1, two L2, and two L3 members of our team. A special thanks to Jason and all the QCRS members. We really appreciate your support in getting our students certified and getting a new class of freshman hooked on high power rocketry. We are already making plans for next year, and would like feedback on what our team can do better to make it easier for everyone involved.DSCN6872.jpg

-Nick's L-3 Pad Interview on Saturday in the You-Tube Video-

"Well, this ALL started with Gus...":D
:surprised: No, it didn't!
"He wanted to TAP somebody.":D
:surprised: I didn't say build a Schoolbus with fins on it!
"Gus, along with Eric really helped me ALOT with this project!" :D
:surprised: Actually, I was scared Sh*tl*ss by it...

You are too modest my friend and, really enjoyed it but, the LLC known as "The Gus" shall not be responsible, for low bank account balances, strife with the significant other, failing grades in school from young dependents...or exposure to immense amounts of paint fumes.

It sure was an INCREDIBLE ride, adventure, learning experience and, day my friend! :eek:

As always.. Funny. Do you remember saying at the pad "... You should build a 10" version"... Dang it Gus!
"Well No, not until you out the idea in my head" so yea kinda your responsible, now I'm thinking of a 10"

Yea I was skeered too :)

The Missouri S&T rocket team would like to thank everyone who helped us out this year at Midwest Power. All said and done, you all helped us certify twenty-five L1, two L2, and two L3 members of our team. A special thanks to Jason and all the QCRS members. We really appreciate your support in getting our students certified and getting a new class of freshman hooked on high power rocketry. We are already making plans for next year, and would like feedback on what our team can do better to make it easier for everyone involved.View attachment 305362

That is freaking cool!! Really amazing - who at that university was responsible for that?! Nice job coach

The Missouri S&T rocket team would like to thank everyone who helped us out this year at Midwest Power. All said and done, you all helped us certify twenty-five L1, two L2, and two L3 members of our team. A special thanks to Jason and all the QCRS members. We really appreciate your support in getting our students certified and getting a new class of freshman hooked on high power rocketry. We are already making plans for next year, and would like feedback on what our team can do better to make it easier for everyone involved.View attachment 305362

And congrats to the Brewski himself for a stellar L3 shot!!! Nice long green pointy thing in that photo, just right of stage center! Well done Kyle....and all the S&T crew!

-Eric-

The flier in question (an L3) needs to make sure the rocket will not go near the crowd as well. RSO can't prevent every possible malfunction. Your opinion is duly noted... rockets of this type need to be flown at least 500' from the flight line during future QCRS events.

Hey Justin,

Great vids, sir!!!! I think that *CTI M1550 White* when you were at the away cell was my Sconnie M1550 White in Green Mamba. Don't matter much, really enjoyed the JF videos!!! Will definitely send some cashola for a burned copy or two in the near-ish future. Thanks bud!!!!

-Eric-

As always.. Funny. Do you remember saying at the pad "... You should build a 10" version"... Dang it Gus!
"Well No, not until you out the idea in my head" so yea kinda your responsible, now I'm thinking of a 10"

12" Double up or nothing...:rolleyes:

Will definitely send some cashola for a burned copy or two in the near-ish future. Thanks bud!!!!

-Eric-

Beat you to it most radical Dude! :p Sent my check out tonight via the tiny Post Office in Malfunction Junction Indiana. Even added a tip- ;)
We support those who make us look so good!

Power Line update:

All rockets have been recovered from the power lines. The club paid the power company for this and we will be in contact with the fliers who left us their names and numbers. As always, donations towards the expense is always appreciated.

Last edited:
Jason.. how much did it cost? Also, does the power company charge per rocket, or just once for the trip?

Jason.. how much did it cost? Also, does the power company charge per rocket, or just once for the trip?

I haven't received the invoice yet. I can say it's less than the cost of a rocket with parachute and electronics.

Glad to hear that the rockets are down. Thanks for the update. I will be making my donation.

Back