Micros for beginners?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugosh

Reaction score
As a kid, I really enjoyed rocketry. My Dad would get the kits from the local hobby store and he even had a liscense. So now I am thinking of getting back into the hobby.

My initial thought is to go with the micro rockets, due to space constraints. Seeing how much less expensive they are is also encouraging. The question arises, however, whether I am setting up for frustration in heading that direction.

Space and money are tight, but I would love to build and shoot some rockets again.

Thoughts?

I too am reentering the hobby after a 15 year hiatus.

Currently I am living in a TINY apartment while I wait for my house to be built. I am severely restricted space-wise. However I have been able to do some micro models since they require so very little space for building and storing. I have found it a satisfying way to get my modeling "fix" in light of my space issues.

If you intend to fly them, you might check out possible flying fields first--they are very difficult to find in tall grass.

You are right, they are great if you are pressed for storage space.

I'm sure it'll be said again, but the Quest plastic ready to fly Micros were a dissapointment.
I'd recommend the FlisKit Micros to really see how well these small engines can perform.
I fly them on a soccer field and have yet to lose a micro rocket.

If you are looking to do this "on the cheap" stop by my website at:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/p/downscales-and-plans.html

I've got a few free print and glue micros and downsize models.
The Goonys are fun and the Micro Sky Writer is a high flyer.

They are hosted at Wayne Hill's Rocketry Blog:
https://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/

You can print them out on Wayne's site, I can't attach PDFs to my blog server.

Gooney Family 008_WEB.jpg

I have a couple very small fields nearby, but I could find more within a half hour's drive. At the end of the street is a field about 200 feet square.

I got lost looking around at your blog, hcmbanjo! A lot of fun over there. I am looking to keep it on the cheap side.

I was looking at your experience with a launch contoller and pad from Quest. did the quest controller ever improve? Do other folks have the same trouble with it? It might be fun to do the home made controller (basic drawings over at fliskit) and maybe make it look all retro and steampunk.

I have a couple very small fields nearby, but I could find more within a half hour's drive. At the end of the street is a field about 200 feet square.
I got lost looking around at your blog, hcmbanjo! A lot of fun over there. I am looking to keep it on the cheap side.
I was looking at your experience with a launch contoller and pad from Quest. did the quest controller ever improve? Do other folks have the same trouble with it? It might be fun to do the home made controller (basic drawings over at fliskit) and maybe make it look all retro and steampunk.

Your small field sounds fine for the Micro models.
I used the Quest launcher for awhile, now I use a camera tripod and my Odd'l Rockets Adeptor (cheap plug) to hold the standard 1/8" and 3/16" rods.
I don't have a lot of experience with the Quest controller. I've used it but prefer a standard Estes and controller and more often now, the Mighty D controller from BMS.
That's a great overall contoller!
If you are talking cheap, use the standard Estes 6 volt controller with the MicroMaxx igniters. using 6 volts, they won't burn through. I've re-used the Micro igniters a dozen times before they break. If you use a 12 volt system they will burn through.
They are about 50 cents each compared to over a dollar for standard coated igniters. I've used the extra MicroMaxx igniters in 13 and 18mm engines. They work, it just takes a moment longer to ignite the engine.

Good luck - have fun!

what I have now, left over from a very brief dabble six years ago (the stuff with my dad is about 25 years ago and nothing is left from then) is a green plastic launch pad without a rod and an inoperable Estes controller. Oh, and a Mosquito kit with broken bals that I put together as best I could. No launch lug (okay since I have no rod, right?) The one thing about that mosquito is that one of the fins turned out about a half inch short. I'm hoping this doesn't make it a ground hugger.

I have half a mind to break open the controller and see if I can't troubleshoot it. It seems like something that would not be too complex (I mean it is old enough I won't find a mini Arduino inside).

BTW I love the idea of the tripod launcher!

The best advice I can give is look up your nearest NAR launch and head out on a launch weekend and spectate. Most clubs fly a wide range of rockets, including micro, low, mid, and high power rockets. It's a chance to see a little of everything. See which size would fit your interest/ capabilities. Ask questions, most people are more than happy to talk about their rockets.

As a kid, I really enjoyed rocketry. My Dad would get the kits from the local hobby store and he even had a liscense. So now I am thinking of getting back into the hobby.

My initial thought is to go with the micro rockets, due to space constraints. Seeing how much less expensive they are is also encouraging. The question arises, however, whether I am setting up for frustration in heading that direction.

Space and money are tight, but I would love to build and shoot some rockets again.

Thoughts?

The only real frustration you will have is if you have short, stubby fingers, like I do... LOL

If you are looking to get into micro rocketry for the very first time, I would encourage you to check out our (FlisKits) two beginner kits, the Mudwasp and the doo-hickey

Both are super easy to build and will get you some much needed exposure to the small parts involved in micro rocketry. NOTE: The Mudwasp, while a fun and easy rocket to build, is also heavy and draggy (for a micro) and is not a great performer (50 feet on a good day). As you advance to the more sophisticated micros (and/or your own designs) you will find some outstanding performers (150+ feet)!

Hope this helps.
Enjoy!
jim

Thanks, Jim. My son really likes the buckshot, and my girl likes the Big Honkin Rocket. I like the one with the three gliders, but, yeah I think we may start off with a doo-hickey. That or make up a repower for my Mosquito, since it seems you have a motor mount to fit, once I've used the last three 1/2a engines in the old box. I do have the fat and somewhat shakey fingers, but I think I can get them to work, given a jig or two to help.

I was origionally thinking of the big rtf quest kit with the controller and pad and all 8 rockets, but I like the idea of going a little more home made. Also with the weather getting worse for the season, some indoor build days are more in order than launch days.

The next nearby NAR launch is in May and several hours away on a day I probably will have to work, so I'll have to plan my intro solo, But I do apreciate the advice, COrocket.

I would love to do micros, but my hands were not made for working with small things.

Welcome to the smaller but very exciting realm of Micro Modeling...
What I've referred to as Model, Model rocketry.

Your hands can easily get used to working with tiny parts..trust me I'm a fairly big guy with Older Ham Hands and I just LOVE building Micro's. Sure it takes a little getting used to, but you'll develop methods and little tricks that make Micros no more of an issue then working with any other size model.

I'd really suggest coming over and joining the MicroMaxRocket Yahoo group, Just click on the link below. Once you sign in there is a wealth of useful info in our Q&A file as weil as tons of Plans and photos for over 150 different micros. Downscales, Competition models, Staged, Multi motor clusters, Helicopters, Gliders, PMC's, Scale, Odd-Rocs You name it. IF it's being done in Model rocketry it's being done with Micros. there are even some Micro electronics available for Staging times, Night flying LED's and even an Altimeter:)

Last edited:
Back