Places to Launch in South Central PA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGreatWaldoPepper

Reaction score
I started launching Estes model rockets in 1966. I probably have not launched for about 20 years. The rockets are sitting on a shelf. Now that I am retired and have grandchildren I would like to get back into the hobby. My kids always enjoyed it. Nothing high powered. All single stage. No larger than a C engine. The places I used to launch in my area are now housing developments. Any suggestions for Franklin, Adams, or York Counties? Thank you!

SPAAR is the closest for South Central PA.. they have a few fields in the Lancaster area and one in Halifax.
Friendly people too. No high power at this time.

MDRA in east MD might be a similar travel time as NARHAMS. PARA on the east side of PA is unfortunately farther from those counties than all of these other clubs.

SPAAR should be a very good closeby option though.

I'm a member of both Narhams and SPAAR, as I live in Hanover PA. Both are good clubs, nice people.

SPAAR has launches in Halifax, Millersville, and Elizabethtown. NARHAMS is having problems with their normal launch site (county park in Mt Airy MD), due to extensive construction and expansion of said park. They aren't allowed to launch there for the forseeable future, though it is possible they may be able to launch there after the work is done. In the meantime, they are launching at Krimgold park in Woodbine MD.

NARHAMS is having problems with their normal launch site
I am very sorry to hear of this. It's bad when this happens to any club, but NARHAMS is one of the oldest clubs and has a long history at that site.

Hey guys, I just joined SPAAR. I'm going to the July 29th launch at Halifax. I haven't heard from anyone yet who is someone I can talk to?? Should I call the club president? I just want some info before I drive 2 hours..

Hey guys, I just joined SPAAR. I'm going to the July 29th launch at Halifax. I haven't heard from anyone yet who is someone I can talk to?? Should I call the club president? I just want some info before I drive 2 hours..

Where are you driving from? They have a facebook page where you can ask questions and get info..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/spaar503

The Halifax site is the best of the ones we use at SPAAR, in my opinion. Its pretty good sized. So long as the winds don't get all squirrely, its fine. Be aware its an old farm field so the ground is kinda rough and furrowed, and it grows a bumper crop of poison ivy type plants. Wear some good bug spray to avoid ticks (I've got Lyme disease so its a thing for me to warn others), and watch where you step in the field. :)

I would definitely either email the club prez, or ask on the FB group. His email is at the bottom of the page under contact us.

Hope to see you there. :)

Where are you driving from? They have a facebook page where you can ask questions and get info..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/spaar503
I'm driving from Bloomsburg, but paid my dues last week to join, and haven't heard a thing from anyone. Its about a 2 hour drive, just wanted some "its def happening" bc I have to plan this a month ahead at least. But I sent a request also to that page to join, and no response yet. I know they do great stuff I've seen the pictures. But I have a few I want to launch on G78 engines, and that should be perfect for that club. My L1 is gonna happen in NY with URRG, or one in Maryland, MDRA for my L1 or higher...Thanks for the response, I also emailed the club president so I should here back soon, I was hoping someone on here is part of the club that can give me a heads up on certain events or questions..

The Halifax site is the best of the ones we use at SPAAR, in my opinion. Its pretty good sized. So long as the winds don't get all squirrely, its fine. Be aware its an old farm field so the ground is kinda rough and furrowed, and it grows a bumper crop of poison ivy type plants. Wear some good bug spray to avoid ticks (I've got Lyme disease so its a thing for me to warn others), and watch where you step in the field. :)

I would definitely either email the club prez, or ask on the FB group. His email is at the bottom of the page under contact us.

Hope to see you there. :)
Hello!!! Yes you will see me at the Halifax July 29th launch!!! Weather permitting I'm in! I signed up for their Facebook page, but wasn't accepted yet. I emailed the club president last night, so I should hear back sometime soon. But I paid my $20 club fee already last week, I saved the screenshit and have an email confirming it. So I'm gonna come launch some stuff I've been waiting years to get up. Would they support a H motor L1 cert flight!!?

Michael B.

Well hopefully the launch will go off; the weather is looking squirrely. The club usually decides by Thursday night whether to have the launch or not, as they have to have the porta-john brought in.

I use this to look at conditions:
https://www.windy.com/40.199/-76.630?40.192,-76.630,14,m:eL8ad1s
OK, thats the info I want before I drive 2 hours. I wanted to hut the Zell farm this weekend. But its too short notice and I hate to say it but here they are calling for bad storms all weekend. It night be beautiful 30 miles from here but I'm not taking that chance to drive on a rainy day. Did that once for Maple Grove NHRA, drove 2.5 hours in rain, to get 10 miles from the track and it hadnt rained in a week...So PA is funny If it looks like bad weather I'm not gonna make th drive. But praying July 29 is great..if not, August..

OK, thats the info I want before I drive 2 hours. I wanted to hut the Zell farm this weekend. But its too short notice and I hate to say it but here they are calling for bad storms all weekend. It night be beautiful 30 miles from here but I'm not taking that chance to drive on a rainy day. Did that once for Maple Grove NHRA, drove 2.5 hours in rain, to get 10 miles from the track and it hadnt rained in a week...So PA is funny If it looks like bad weather I'm not gonna make th drive. But praying July 29 is great..if not, August..

I hear ya. Only one SPAAR launch this spring hasn't been cancelled due to wind or rain. And that one, there were soccer games down-wind and they weren't going to be done until at least 4pm... launch was scheduled for 12-4? I waited around until about 3pm, got discouraged, went home.

Windy.com is a decent source of weather info for particular locations.

I hear ya. Only one SPAAR launch this spring hasn't been cancelled due to wind or rain. And that one, there were soccer games down-wind and they weren't going to be done until at least 4pm... launch was scheduled for 12-4? I waited around until about 3pm, got discouraged, went home.

Windy.com is a decent source of weather info for particular locations.
Man I hope thats not the case for July 29th, I want to get to a few meets before my L1 attempt at another club.

I started launching Estes model rockets in 1966. I probably have not launched for about 20 years. The rockets are sitting on a shelf. Now that I am retired and have grandchildren I would like to get back into the hobby. My kids always enjoyed it. Nothing high powered. All single stage. No larger than a C engine. The places I used to launch in my area are now housing developments. Any suggestions for Franklin, Adams, or York Counties? Thank you!
Hello, seems we're in the same boat.Started back in 69, but haven't been active in 40+ years.Just got back into it around four years ago.I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania, and it's all trees and hills,no more open land left around here.We've been traveling up to Western New York,in the Finger Lakes area, to fly at URRG'S field at Torrey Farms in Potter.Absolutely massive field,it's a commercial farm so it's as flat and open as can be, big enough for even the biggest projects.It's a terrific venue but I really wish I could stay closer to home, because traveling takes time and money, and I don't have a lot of either.I'm not familiar with those counties so there's nothing I can tell you about them.My suggestion is to join the NAR so they put you in touch with members from those areas who might have more info for you.

MDRA in east MD might be a similar travel time as NARHAMS. PARA on the east side of PA is unfortunately farther from those counties than all of these other clubs.

SPAAR should be a very good closeby option though.
A dumb question...can you launch on your own at the SPAAR site at the school without being a member of SPAAR...like the school site near Lancaster?

A dumb question...can you launch on your own at the SPAAR site at the school without being a member of SPAAR...like the school site near Lancaster?
Generally, no. Clubs usually make agreements with the landowners to make sure the launches are insured, might also include the landowner getting paid for the use of their land. If high-powered launches, then you'll also need to get the FAA involved. The last thing most landowners want is someone just randomly showing up on their property, you might end up costing the club their launch site.
If you do want to launch at a school, just get in touch with them, they'll probably be okay with it, just make sure they know you aren't flying as part of the club. Make sure the rockets you plan to fly are appropriate for the site, follow the safety code, etc.

It's not a dumb question, and I get asked this one a lot. I'll unscore what has been said already - going to a club's field and just doing whatever could damage a club's relationship with a landowner. People do things and the club gets blamed. It happens.

I'm a member of both Narhams and SPAAR, as I live in Hanover PA. Both are good clubs, nice people.

SPAAR has launches in Halifax, Millersville, and Elizabethtown. NARHAMS is having problems with their normal launch site (county park in Mt Airy MD), due to extensive construction and expansion of said park. They aren't allowed to launch there for the forseeable future, though it is possible they may be able to launch there after the work is done. In the meantime, they are launching at Krimgold park in Woodbine MD.
There's also a Hanover in my area, about two miles away from me, just out side of WilkesBarre.

If you ever want to take trip west you could come fly with us at Tripoli pittsburgh. You are looking at about a 3hr drive from gettysburg. We fly micro max to O motors. http://www.tripolipgh.org/home.html

I recently moved to Perry County PA myself. I was involved in the past with MDRA members (great folks) and am looking into the SPAAR group myself. Heck, Halifax is right up the road (of course I am busy the 29th).
We use a small local ballfield for small Estes stuff under a E, but would love to meet/support a local group.

I recently moved to Perry County PA myself. I was involved in the past with MDRA members (great folks) and am looking into the SPAAR group myself. Heck, Halifax is right up the road (of course I am busy the 29th).
We use a small local ballfield for small Estes stuff under a E, but would love to meet/support a local group.
Where exactly is Perry County?I live in Luzerne County, about a two hour drive north of Lancaster.

I am North of Carlisle, 30 minutes from Harrisburg, It looks like one of Spaars launch sights is just up the river 20 minutes from me.

I am North of Carlisle, 30 minutes from Harrisburg, It looks like one of Spaars launch sights is just up the river 20 minutes from me.
You're a little ways from me.We're in the process of forming a new club here in Luzerne County but as of yet we don't have a flying site.We'll have to go a short distance outside of the area to find one.

Latest posts

Back