mega Hi flyer 6x up scale build cert'ed L2 flew straight ,up ( thanks na sayers)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMAG1288.jpgWell the MHF is almost completed . I warped the fins and aft end in glass . To make sure nothing goes wrong with the cert flights . And put a 4' ring of fiber glass at the nose cone . So to not to zipper . Don't think it would but you never know she is 8.2lbs with no motor ,may go up a little with paint

Last edited:
hope every one reading this thread is enjoying it . as of right now total cost of the build not including the motor
is at $35.00
thats 1/4 berch ply wood fins and CR's
20 ft tubular nylon
loc motor mount
expoxy ,fiber glass and resin, bondo for the nose cone

$35! Very frugal. Best on your L2!

It was a cheap build due to the tube I used
Very solid build . And the nose cone was scratch built .

Thanks ,but sad almost done with it . Then finish the austim rocket just fins and motor mount . Then need to think up my next build
I do have a 12ft. Tube 4.5 ',4',4.25',3'

This is very discouraging . Very little input , first build scratch build........h

since you ask ......

I think you have a problem; your fins are not straits, I hope this rocket will not land on someone or a car.

poc_zps07de6b64.jpg

since you ask ......

I think you have a problem; your fins are not straits, I hope this rocket will not land on someone or a car.

poc_zps07de6b64.jpg

Yeah not to be mean but I'd launch this on its maiden flight with a clear loud heads up.
If it lives through well, then no more heads up ;-)

PS: I'd be used to that... 2 years of only experimentals... "heads up", bud's flying!

The nose is not better, is not symmetric at all , don’t want to be rude, but this an experience, a first trial, learn from the mistake you did and do a better one, but please don't launch that thing, this is not a Lev 2 rocket.

nose_zps259d60cd.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah not to be mean but I'd launch this on its maiden flight with a clear loud heads up.
If it lives through well, then no more heads up ;-)

PS: I'd be used to that... 2 years of only experimentals... "heads up", bud's flying!
The fins were dry fit there . It was a mock up .

The nose is not better, is not symmetric at all , don’t want to be rude, but this an experience, a first trial, learn from the mistake you did and do a better one, but please don't launch that thing, this is not a Lev 2 rocket.

nose_zps259d60cd.jpg
Again a mock up . The coupling and nose cone no expoxy yet . And first coat of fill primer still shaping

Hi Chris -
Hey - It's starting to really look like a rocket! :)

Remember the 5:1 "rule of thumb" regarding thrust to weight ratio. This probably deserves extra consideration because big fins promote weather cocking .

At 8-9 lbs. loaded and ready to fly - look for an average thrust of 180-200ns. The I-170 might be marginal - especially if there is some wind at the launch. Maybe some more folks will chime-in here and tell me I'm all wrong...

Stability was an issue in the original Estes version - the current kit includes a clay nose weight. You can make sure your sim is accurate now that you're getting it all assembled. Balance the actual rocket and see how that compares to the CG indicated by the sim.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it fly at MWP !!

Yes the I170 is a no go now . Tim has the motors on his trailer . Will swap out at lest the I . Cg is the same . Cp is at top of motor mount with biggest 38mm I . May see on Or if I need to add weight in the nose cone . The picture that someone reposted was mock ups and this it is dangerous to fly and I don't know what I'm doing . O well I have people I have asked questions and I'm doing fine thanks see you in a few weeks

Tough crowd...

[video=youtube;9FPv2toi5og]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPv2toi5og&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Yes like I would throw something together and call it good . Wow with the people I fly with not a chance , I would be in a ditch somewhere doing something stupid.

Chris just cconcentrate on your improvement, ignore others and only focus on your progress.

Thanks tim all in all that is what it is . Very happy with the build . Learned some stuff along the way .

Chris just cconcentrate on your improvement, ignore others and only focus on your progress.

+100 I was thinking the same thing - It's going to be great! And no matter what happens - you're sure to have a fantastic time at MWP!

With the Indiana Rocketeers having your back, you will do just fine Chris! You build it the way you think it ought to be and they will help you along the way. Great bunch up there. Ignore the nay-sayers!

Needed to unwind a bit and just found your build thread here. Looks like I may get the chance to see this fly as I will be at MWP as well. As mentioned by others, let your build be something that makes you proud.

As far as responses or amount of people that comment on your thread, from my perception you've had some feedback, and hopefully inspiration from a pretty impressive group. There accomplishments in this hobby are inspiring to me. Qqake, Dixon, T-Rex to name a few. I'd be happy to have any one of these guys interested in what I was doing. Griffin has been on as well, I have met Griffin and if you have his attention your doing well. Scsager has been on here with some feedback as well. I got to meet him this year as he flys out by me. He is Another person I admire, he brings his family to launches and to see him with his daughter and the fun they have and he like the others I mentioned have a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I hope to learn a bit more about how you are building your nosecones. I just started following your other thread. I'm a visual learner so for me pictures help with the learning process.

I'll be watching this thread to see you get ready for your big day. If it's at MWP I'll look forward to see it in person and in the sky.

It's looking great to me. This is TRULY a scratch build, so of course it's going to take a little extra effort, especially with the nose cone. But it sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction. My biggest complaint is that I won't be there to see it fly in person!

Tough crowd...

Oh my gosh, Rodney was an amazing talent! I laugh at all his jokes no matter how many times I've heard them. It's so sad that all these amazing performers of yesteryear are passing, with no one to fill their shoes. The younger crowd doesn't know what they've missed. I would like to remind most current comedians that profanity isn't comedy...

Thanks T rex,Rrwjr and qquake yes I don't listen to the nay sayers . I have better things to build ..great group that I get to fly with

“You can spend a lifetime, and, if you're honest with yourself, never once was your work perfect.” -Charleton Heston

Chris,

The biggest compliment that I can pay to you is to say "you inspired me". That is the reason we are here. To learn from, encourage and inspire each other. You are the reason that I now have a 12' long, 4.25" dia. tube in my basement that my wife is threatening to... never mind that thought. This is a family friendly forum. Anyway, I just wanted to wish you the best on your flights. Keep learning, and keep trying new things.

Yes not perfect . But it's mine and the people that matter like it . Me being the first . I glad that I inspired you . I am here to answer question.
Or say what are you thinking . There is thing I have changed on new builds that I'm doing . Right now there is four being built 2 hpr ,1 mpr& hpr and one lpr . One of the hpr rockets is being built due to me making a nose cone way to long 15" cone with a 15" air frame short and fat . Chris

I agree about don't let the "Naysayers" get to you. Learn from them, yes, but let their attitude bother you, no.
My first Mid-Power Scratch Build, back in 2000, was made from a 3ft. long, 4" wide piece of Carpet Tube. If I had done a "Build Thread" here, I'de likely have been discouraged out of doing it at all. Things being as they were, I did'nt even have Internet Access at the Time, nor did I have any Fellow Rocketeers to talk to or get any Advice from. I started out with only this really cool G80 Motor that the Hobby Store had ordered for someone who never came to pick it up. I was in there getting Ignitors, to use for my Cannon, and found this huge Motor. I thought to myself, "I could build a Rocket to fly that Motor.", so that's what I did.
And guess what? It flew great, and I went back to the Hobby Store and ordered more G80s. Sadly, after 4, or was it 5 Flights, it ended up about 80' up in a Tree, lost forever, and barely visible from the Ground. I did'nt know about TTW Fin Construction, and about 2 months after it got stuck, I went to look for it after a windy Storm, and found one Fin on the Ground. I already had had to order the Aerotech Controller to fire the Aerotech Ignitors, so I decided to order their G-Force, so I could keep Flying G Motors.(Also ended up in a Tree).
Point being, I did'nt even have any Guidance, and managed to make a great Mid-Power. You have a lot of support, plus a Club, so you should eventually turn out a flyable Specimen.
I can't wait to see you put up a Video of your first Launch of this Scratch-Built Rocket. Keep at it, and keep us Posted.

I know, I noticed that too, and he used "Maga" in another Thread also. Oh well, I knew a Marine once who was illiterate, did'nt make him a bad Person. He was really illiterate. I sold Guns at the time, and had to read him the Form 4473, and tell him how to spell his answers. Somehow he had made SGT, so he must have been good at something.:confused2:

Yes I know need to get better at naming rockets .

Last edited:
Wow I just realized that it was not spelled right . I need to get better at naming a project

I'd leave it "Maga", just to be different. See if anyone at the launch notices. Yes, I'm weird that way. :tongue:

I can read , can't spell to save my life . But I just don't know ,it is funny it should be mega Hi flyer . I blame spell check

Back